Author Topic: Jeremy Riggs wave @ Pier One  (Read 11629 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Riggs wave @ Pier One
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
I suspect anyone who hasn't seen what Pier One can be like doesn't quite get all the "we are not worthy" praise. Pier One scares the crap out of me on a moderate day. Last time I was out there surfing it was considered really good--there were several other SUP guys out there. I spent all my time running for the horizon trying to keep from getting smashed. If you screw up really bad and get caught inside, you are in big trouble. A mountainous breakwall in front of you with huge surf pounding right on it and smashing over it. Outer reef waves behind you coming at full power, pitching up on a slanted floor and tossing twenty foot, very fast moving faces

Finally took one baby wave and fled for the harbor mouth. When I got near the breakwall a guy flagged me down, waving his paddle. His leash had broken and he had to climb up the breakwall. Yikes! If you've been there you know how much that would suck--and maybe not work, with potentially fatal consequences. Hard to believe he still had his paddle. He tossed it on top of the breakwall when a wave pitched him high enough!!! Then he somehow got a grip on the huge artificial rocks and got to the top.  I went out and looked for his board--finally found it way out. Further than I wanted to go, but what the heck. Gotta. A Naish prototype he had bought from Dave K. No leash to drag it with so I stuck it backwards on top of my board and paddled them both through the mouth. Caught a wave going through the mouth and managed to stay up. I was VERY glad to be out of there.

What an unforgiving place to have a problem--or just to fall on a wave. I've always known Jeremy is an alien, this just confirms it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
I have ridden consistant double to triple overhead at this place many times. I have also taken my share of poundings from big Pier 1. Normally there is a nice shoulder and channel which makes the place pretty safe. However, on the day Jeremy was out things were much different. Due to the direction of the swell, Pier 1 was bigger than Peahi (Jaws) and the channel was no longer a safe zone. Waves there had to be 15 to 20ft Hawaiian meaning 30 to 40ft faces. The thought that anyone would even consider it on SUP is freaking insane!! The fact that Jeremy actually managed to ride this break on that day on a 9' SUP is beyond comprehension. This would probably be considered one of  the largest waves ever ridden on a SUP board. BIG WAVE SUP AWARD GOES TO JEREMY RIGGS in my book.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
I kitesurf pier 1 on a regular basis. I ride it as big as it gets. I wouldn't even think of taking my sup out there when it's big.  :o I haven't gotten as comfortable on my sup yet. Awesome wave, but not very forgiving. Props to those who are taking sup to that level.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
A couple of shots of Jeremy's new 9 Foote.  Baby looks fast:

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
Looks like da Gecko, only shorter.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
Billy makes pretty boards, eh.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
nice lineup, Bill

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 04:41:02 AM »
Yeah.. Nice boards there Bill... I like the Croc's to..   ;)

DJ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 08:15:27 AM »
Bill does this mean you've migrated back here?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal