Author Topic: Heavier Boards Faster?  (Read 23217 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Heavier Boards Faster?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Bill.
I'm getting ready to head into the water, meeting my friend at 6:15 am.
Still dark in Honolulu. 
What's your prediction?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »
This test more accurately represents the difference there will be with putting a heavy bag of gear right in the middle of your board than the true differences of a heavier SUP represents. The weight distribution just isn't there. It is still a good test. I'm thinking the biggest differences will be in getting up to top speed in the sprint and a slower top speed while cruising.

It would be interesting to know the results if you spaced out the weights on the board. One weight in the middle, one in the back, and one up front. This would come closer to representing the weight distribution of a heavier SUP.

Some gliding tests would be really neat to know as well. How long does it take for the SUP to come to a complete stop with and without the weights? I guess this could be measured by hitting a peak speed and then stop paddling. It wouldn't be the easiest test to do as water conditions and wind could greatly skew the results. Momentum/glide has been a big part of this debate, so this would be a good test.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:55 AM »
Very cool work! Looking forward to your results. Good choice to use a large board that can handle extra weight. If the weights cause enough sinking to submerge the deck, then that would dramatically increase wetted surface area and not be a true test.

I agree with Bill that it's important that you don't change the trim of the board by putting weights off the center of buoyancy.

Also, can you see the GPS speed while you are paddling? Probably best to do it blind, or possibly conduct the test by keeping speed constant and reporting your subjective effort level.
Sustainable Surf

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »
Wow. This is great stuff!  Can't wait to hear the results. 

Thanks, BluePlanetSurf!  And, BTW, Congrats on your win at the Halloween HK-Kaimana race!
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
Ok, I just got out of the water with conclusive results.  Will post them after my shower and protein power smoothie.  BTW, Bill, the trim was slighly off with the weights but instead of moving the weights I just moved my feet back about 1-2 inches from my regular flat water trim position.
Sill no guesses other than pdxmike?  Come on, let's hear some guesses.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
...While we're waiting,  Pono Bill brings up a point which I meant to earlier but forgot:

Do shapers design boards so that the "trim" it has while unweighted and floating is the intended "ideal" trim with a rider aboard?  Or does floating the board alone simply find the flattest part of the rocker and put it horizontal?  Either makes sense and I guess it's a chicken-or-egg thing, so doesn't really matter.

I've heard some folks say that to find the ideal position on a race board, you should check a board's trim sans rider first, then try to match that when you get on (like Pono Bill's mentioning to do that with the weights in this test).  

While "talking" here, I'm starting to see the answer already:  Gotta get a gps and figure out the best position scientifically - measure!  But I guess the "float" method will give you a really good starting point.

Another great conversation with myself...  :-[
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

Six Feet and Glassy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SixFeetandGlassy
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »
Ok.  I'll go out on a limb and say....  You went slower with the added weight.   ;D

Ok ok.  I'll guess, by doubling the weight of the board, plus your weight, you will now have that board very near it's intended load limit.  And, as mentioned, you will be dramatically increasing wetted surface because of that.

So how much time/speed lost?  By my exact calculations...

I have no farging idea.   ;D

Ok...I'll guess losing 25% on distance speed,  but I'll venture LESS on sprints because you're hella strong and might be able to put that thing more up on plane when sprinting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:45:26 AM by Six Feet and Glassy »
Ken

Six Feet and Glassy

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »
Being present when the tests (at least the short sprints) were conducted I conclude the following:  Robert paddles fast.

But more appropriately, the difference in the added weight was most notable at the start of the sprint.  Without the extra weight, the off the line acceleration was obviously faster.   But the times indicate that the board was moving faster the whole distance, not just the start (the slower start does not account for 4 seconds different).

I think its pretty clear lighter is faster, but each person needs to make the assessment of whether its worth the extra money to get that lighter board.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
Scott, I did not know you are 1paddle2paddle, your secret is out!
I don't know if you saw the new thread I started but am already planning to do the sprint test again, as the video did not come out.  Want to got again tomorrow morning?
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal