Author Topic: PSH Ripper 8'0" (regular) review  (Read 9336 times)

hokiesax

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
PSH Ripper 8'0" (regular) review
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:13 PM »
I have been loving my 8'0" (regular) Ripper the past few months, although the past few weeks on the gulf coast have been super flat. Initially it was a little more work to stand on it, especially in chop, but was totally worth it once I got on a wave. Opened up a whole new world and I was instantly able to hit the whitewash on closeout sections and go up and over. On my 9'3" the board just wants to flip over or won't turn right when I need it to. I thought I would never ride my 9'3" Ripper again. I went back to it one day when my wife was on the 8'0" and I kept falling off it when trying to turn. I had completely forgotten how to ride it! So I pretty much have only been on the 8'0" for the past few months. I've ridden it mainly in semi-choppy mushy Gulf Coast waves about waist high and smaller (usually knee or smaller). I also rode it twice in Jacksonville Beach, one waist high glassy and one knee high glassy day and it was amazing (seems like knee high waves over there push more than chest high Gulf coast). Overall, I had been really happy with it as a replacement for the 9'3" Ripper...until the past few days. Maybe it was just especially bad conditions, but it was so choppy I could not stand on the damn thing out past the break long enough to catch a wave. It was about 8kts onshore wind, chest high and especially mushy/weak.   I took my 9'3" out and was solid on that board in the chop, but on the 8'0" I could hardly even get on my knees sometimes without falling over. I managed to drop in on two waves on the 8ft but almost instantly stopped from lack of push. On my 9'3" I was able to catch a bunch of waves and ride them to shore. I realize it just might not always be the right day for an 8ft SUP, but I was really hoping it would be the only board I ride from now on. I think if I at least lived on the East coast the 8'0" would definitely be a full replacement for the 9'3", but here on the Gulf Coast I'll still need something bigger sometimes.

Does anyone know if a 8'6" Wide ripper would have the same stability as the old 9'3"? 

Westside

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: PSH Ripper 8'0" (regular) review
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »
My Naish 8'4" is fast and stable.  I switched from the 9 no problems.  I had been using a 9 foot for a few years and was afraid that anything smaller would not work for me at 175.  The board catches waves and works in sloppy small waves and good waves. 

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
 hey hokiesax  what is your weight? My only board is the 9'3'' Ripper
its a great all around board, but I want more performance but still
be able to handle some chop, I am thinking 8'6''x27-28''x4''range,
my weight is 155 pounds
I am not into hauling around multiple boards so I have to give and
take a little.
Boards that come to mind that I think might give me the performance
I am looking for whould be regular 8'6''Ripper or   Naish Hokua 8'5''
or maybe custom.
I will keep my 9'3'' Ripper and still use that if I am pretty sure is
going to be extra choppy , its kind of fun going out on  some of those
not so nice wheather days sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:24:20 PM by Rolf »

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
I weigh 195lbs and have advanced skill level. Recently I purchased the 8'6 WR. I think you may find it more stable than your 9'3 because of its width. I also have the Naish 9'3 Hokua which is 291/4 w and the PSH seems to be just as stable maybe even more. Here in Maui we have very choppy conditions about 80% of the time compared to most places and the PSH seems to provide sufficient stability for my weight most of the time.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:52:00 PM by maui wave warrior »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

Does anyone know if a 8'6" Wide ripper would have the same stability as the old 9'3"? 

YES, my friends own both and I've surfed them. I've surfed the 8'0 too. I think the 8'6 WR is the best of the three.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:58 AM »
Have the 8'6WR and I am 190.  No problems on it but if it gets choppy or there is some wind it can be a handful.  If so then I go to something bigger.  I was out yesterday in chest to head glassy and it was amazing! 

My buddy has the 8'0.  He is @165lbs.  He likes it.  Only had it a out a couple of times so far but says its pretty stable.  This is his smallest board.  Think he has the 8'11 as well for his bigger board. 

The smaller boards are tough in the chop but to me if its too choppy I just go to something smaller.  I have a quiver of boards for that reason.  Yes I wish I could be on the 8'6 everyday but it just does not always work.  But in the right conditions its awesome to ride a small board.  If only I was lighter I'd be on that 8'0. 

hokiesax

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
I'm 165lbs and 5'10".  When I first got my 9'3" last year I was moving down from larger SUPs and I hated it at first.  I stuck with it though and in the end it was worth it.  I was expecting the same when moving down to the 8'0" but it seems like I may be pushing the limits of what the board can do in chop.  I would gladly suck it up and deal with it for a few months if I knew it would be worth it in the end, but this time I don't think it's going to work out.  I agree, I think at this point I need more than one board....well, I don't NEED more than one board, but the 8'0" is so much fun I'm not going to give it up.  Luckily my wife surfs and SUP's and my excuse is that she likes the 8'0".  When we're both out she can be on the 8 and I can be on the 8'6" WR that I just now decided to buy.   :)

I'm solid on the 9'3" in any condition so I should just keep it to save money and have the 8'0" for the less choppy days.  But the 9'3" just seems so restricting now, I gotta have something smaller for the chop.

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
at your weight have you not considered the regular 8'6''or 8'9'' Ripper?
the wide is 30''x4 1/4'' I wonder how much performance you
will really gain over the 9'3'' considering how wide it is and at
your weight.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:18:20 AM by Rolf »

hokiesax

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »
yeah I considered the 8'6" regular but it's almost the same width as the 8'0".  This board specifically would need to do better in  chop and I don't think an extra 6in of length would give me enough stability.

RKC11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Thanks for the good review of the 8'0" Ripper.  I also have a PSH 9'3" Ripper, and as of 6 months ago, have been surfing on a SB Tiki 8'5"x28". I'm 5'7" 150.
I love the performance of the 8'5".  I was about to sell the 9'3" Ripper, since I thought I no longer needed it. I also have a 10'3 PSH AA, that I used in choppy conditions and for flat water paddles.  One day I brought the 9'3" Ripper with me to the beach, because I wanted to show it to a potential buyer.  She tried paddling it, and we both decided that it was way too tippy for her, and that she needed more width and length (she's looking for her first SUP).
The surf looked pretty fun.  I took the Ripper out in the surf.  As luck would have it, it started getting windy and choppy.  The board felt very stable out there.  I had a fun session, and decided not to sell the 9'3" Ripper.  Now, I primarily ride the Tiki, but the 9'3" Ripper has been my go-to board when it's windy/choppy.

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »
hey Cen Cal Supr, how does that 8'5'' Tiki handle in breezy choppy
conditions?
good decision to keep the 9'3'' Ripper, I know I will keep mine when
i get my next board.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »
Rolf,

I have the 8'5" by 28 Tiki... Pretty easy to handle in choppy conditions.  HATE the rails and tail... LOVE the float.  Fun board nonetheless... Gonna make an 8'5" fun board based on that outline with surfy rails, tail and single concave bottom with five boxes...  Kind of like the Roger Hinds interpretation of the PSH 8'6" (see different thread) ... but applied to the Tiki outline.

Out...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

hokiesax

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
Finally got some pictures.  Sorry, they are phone camera pictures as my regular camera broke.

Also a picture of the usual crappy conditions I ride in.

hokiesax

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
on the water...

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »
Nice,
what is the weight like on that, and what are your first impression
on it compared to the 9'3''?
Where on the Gulf Coast are you located, I spent some time
in South Padra Texas, been there sevaral times duing the fall months
for kite surfing and surfing when the wind was weak, that was before
sup came along, with all the miles of beach break I think it could be really
fun place to sup surf.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:40:47 AM by Rolf »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard