Author Topic: Ku Ikaika Challenge (Just One Participants View)  (Read 16037 times)

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
Re: Ku Ikaika Challenge (Just One Participants View)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 05:25:57 AM »
Awsome looking wave Blane, Looks like the wave of the contest. I'm glad you came up all smiles.
   Some have said,
 ''The best surfer is the one having the most fun'''. (Our case, Stand Up Surfer) That pic say's it all,  period...
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 07:00:42 AM »
AMAZING pics Blane!  Must be so amazing to be on waves like that on a SUP.  Great description of the day.  Nothing better than coming off a great SUP!  Life is good. ;D

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
Awesome pics! The one thing that is hard to capture with still shots is the SPEED and LENGTH of the waves that day, however the second shot does a great job of   showing those aspects. Outstanding!!

jethro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
Great pics. I can't imagine what it would be like riding those waves on a SUP board.

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
Great job Blaine congrats and hats off to you for charging the bombs, and writing the killer story for all of us out here freezing our nipples off.

i agree!

your story had me totally enthralled.  THANKS FOR SHARING IT.  and i also second DW's comments on how cool it is that you post your stuff here for others to enjoy.  if that isn't the ALOHA SPIRIT then i don't know what is. 
;D ;D ;D

thanks again!
-mike

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
"...and I was faced with the decision." Gnarly!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 10:49:56 PM »
you know i didnt realize how big those waves really are...you guys that were out in that stuff are amazing..

looking at the photos ....awesome....just so much water moving...very cool.... ;D

its one thing for a bunch of young  kids to go out and charge everything in sight...hell i used to do it too... but the majority of those guys were older ....late 30's and 40's....like us....you guys are amazing :o :o

Blane Chambers

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »
A lot of people were asking how big was it out there?     When you're out there it is really hard to tell an actual measurement.       I saw someone do this type of scale before so I tried it with this pic.      Although this picture is by no means completely accurate, its in the ballpark...

This wave has yet to jack up on the reef so it probably got a little bigger when it did...   I call this 12'+ Hawaiian.   

IMO, this event will see its best day when the smaller waves are like this one and the sets are all 15' and bigger.    I've surfed the point before where it was consistently bigger than the above photo and it is freaking unbelievable!     The picture above is the size when it just starts to morph into what all the Makaha boys dream of.     I can't wait to surf it again next year!     Hopefully its bigger and doing its thing!

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
damn.... >:(... living in socal .....you get out of shape and used to riding the small stuff...kind of become a "6 foot and undah guy"...then go home and realize...."im NOT 25 ANYMORE and im a california surfer now.... :o...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
Fantastic...Thanks heaps.

DJ

Blane Chambers

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 06:53:43 AM »
More pictures...   These courtesy of Bruno Lemos.   Thanks Bruno!!

The infamous Makaha Bowl seconds before detonation.   

Everything still looks good here and I thought I had it, but........... No cigar, the fat lady sang, my clock got cleaned, my bell got rung,  a day late and a dollar short.....  ;D 

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:56:05 AM by Blane Chambers »

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 07:33:45 AM »
Nice!  Game of inches for sure.  You look so close to having made it around that thing.

Yeeeeeeeooooowwww!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 07:39:14 AM »
Those shots of you on that bomb of a wave you described is awsome. My mental movie I created while reading your great ride is what i pictured. The 10'-6'' your riding looks so small on the face of the wave.  It almost looks like you can outrace the lip. What does it look like down the line?  Looks like the wave of the day.   Keep'em comming Blane   Thanks..
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 07:48:31 AM »
Haleiwa Bill called that falling "lip" the "glass axe guillotine," in the article he wrote for SupSurfMag.com. Well stated. It DOES look like you had it...but the awesome power of that situation is understated by the photos. And again...thanks for sharing Blane.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
Thanks guys...   It looks like a very long wall that grows as you go.  You take off and its only a 8' wave but you get down to the bowl and its 12'...    If you kick out more than likely the next one will eat you.    Only 1 choice really and that is to stay on the wave and try to either pull in or make it around...   There is a much higher percentage of people who didn't make it around than those who did!   Haha!!

I think what did me in was my whole strategy for the day was to pull in the barrel.   I was looking and waiting for it.   I was talking with Aaron Napoleon yesterday and we were talking about how you have to wait for Makaha to line up and throw out.     

If it does hit the reef perfect,  no problem pulling in and you might even make it out but like most of them at this size you can see its folding shut on the end.    I hesitated to make it around and by the time I decided to run it was a split second to late...    Game over!   Haha!

Makaha is such a great down the line wave when it becomes point surf.     Check out these pics...

From Surf News Network/south seas photography....   Not sure who the surfer is but it may be Chuck Patterson?   You can see the speed needed..   This is a great shot that gives a feel of going down the line and having to clear a section...     This photo makes me want to ride a wave!

Sequence of Ikaika Kalama racing... 

The whole thing at Makaha is stay high as long as you can, get as much speed as far as you can because the bowl is ahead and you saw what happened to me!   Kealii Mamala on the gas!

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal