Author Topic: Ku Ikaika Challenge (Just One Participants View)  (Read 16101 times)

Blane Chambers

Ku Ikaika Challenge (Just One Participants View)
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »
The Quiksilver Ku Ikaika Challenge went off yesterday in very fun Makaha surf with pristine conditions.      I saw so much good surfing it was incredible!!     It wasn't gigantic but there were definetly some bombs rolling through that handed out some beatings... ;D

Quite a few of us on the alternate list were crossing our fingers that we could surf.   Even Aaron Napoleon who won the event was with me hoping we would get the go.      The fact that we showed up and were ready to charge paid off and we got the signal.   STOKED!!! ;D   

4 man heats with a scoring system of  best 2 waves.     Waves were scored up to a buoy in the channel.     Waves in some heats were firing set after set and some heats were pretty quiet.    Our first heat was one of the quiet ones with no full point sets.     Absolute glassy conditions.    I had Kainoa McGee, Ekolu Kalama and Nalu Froiseth.     I got a couple medium size waves but nothing special.     The only decent size set we were all out of position but Nalu charged it anyway.   I yelled, "To deep Nalu!" but he was charging anyway.    He didn't make it and told me after he went for an off the lip!    :oThe guy charges!!

In the end Ekolu got first, Kainoa 2nd, me third and Nalu 4th.    I lucked out again as they were taking high 3rds to advance and I got into the next round.   This is where things got much better.     I had Dave Parmenter, Chris Mauro and Chuck Patterson in that heat.   As we were waiting to go in the channel Dave says, "The Waimea Buoy spiked up in the last hour, maybe those waves will  be here for our heat..."   We were hopeful and just stoked watching the other guys tear it up from the channel...

The horn blew and the 3 others stroked it off to the point but I held back a little as there were more bigger sets hitting the bowl.   Right off the bat I got a solid one there and had to iron leg a big whitewater but pulled it off.    A similar set hit the outer section and all 3 of the guys got a wave.   

I was out to the point ahead of them and a indicator set started bombing off in the distance...   I stroked hard to a lineup Mel Puu taught me.   I could hear Dave yelling at Chris who was behind me, "Follow Blane!!"     I went over the first wave and there was an absolute beauty and I was in the perfect spot..  Thanks Mel!    I turned and paddled into this awesome glassy wall...   Dave was yelling, "GO BLANE, GO!"    Once in I took the high line and just focused on big swooping turns to connect the sections and made it all the way to the channel...   STOKED!   One good one under my belt, just need another....

All 3 of the guys got good waves then it quieted down for a little while...   I was kinda moving back and forth from the point to the middle take off when in the distance the biggest set of the day was stacking up on the outer reef towards Kaena Pt.   This thing was way bigger then what I had seen all morning and I headed straight to the horizon.   Dave and Chris were kinda just hanging in the same point take off zone and Chuck was starting to head out.    The set started breaking off in the distance and it looked BIG out there!     I was a good 30 yards outside where anyone was taking off and still didn't feel comfortable so I kept going out.   By now, Dave, Chris and Chuck were full power paddling for the horizon...

The first wave arrived and it was easily bigger then anything so far.   I turned to go for it but was a to far out and I saw Chuck turn and start stroking for it...   I turned around and there it was....   The big, fat, thick set we all were waiting for and I was the only guy far out enough to get it.    Poor Chris bobbled going over the first one and was now going to get mowed down hard by this macker...   He told me later, "All I was trying to do at that point was get my leash off!"

I looked at where I was and I could already tell I was a little to deep and this thing was gaining steam...   I gave it all I got to get into it and the gallery which consisted of the water patrol, camera crews and the next heat of competitors were all yelling, "GO BLANE! GO BLANE!! AHWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"      A few more strokes for good measure and I was in...   I had to go into the survival trim on my 10'-6 molded pop out and this wave was just sucking out sooo heavy!    I was flying across the face and it just kept getting bigger and bigger into the infamous Makaha Bowl...     I was absolutley flying down the line when the entire wave just jacked up to its maximum and I was faced with the decision.   

Pull in with no hope of coming out or try and make it around...   I opted for the make it around since it seemed like I had more than enough speed, so I adjusted my line to head down...    Just as I was thinking I'm gonna make this thing I noticed the lip was even with me every step of the way then KA BOOM!!!!!!    The impact was so insane it blew the paddle right out of my hands and I was instantly rag dolled deep.   I was held under violently for awhile then I decided it was time to swim to the surface.   I had a light impact vest on so it helped to get back to the surface.   When I came up everyone in the gallery was hooting!      They were asking if I was alright and one of the water patrol went after my paddle for me....

It was towards the end of my heat so I just paddled in.    When I got to the beach everyone was applauding and it felt good even though I just got the smack down, beating of the day.    I ended up getting 3rd and not advancing.   Evryone was telling me I should of made it but my response was, "I guess they don't score points for getting your ass kicked!"    No biggie...   Chuck and Dave ripped good, big waves too.   

All in all a great day.    I got the respect of my peers and the gallery.   I got 2 of my boards in the Final, one which Aaron Napoleon took to victory...       Everyone had fun and nobody got hurt!   What more could you ask for as an alternate?   

Pictures will follow when I get them...

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ku Ikaika Challenge (Just One Participants View)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
Great write up!  You had me on the edge of my seat reading this.  I am anxiously waiting for pictures...

Congrats on Aaron and all the competitors and to you for having two boards in the final.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
I was also at the end of my seat readind your detailed story and a mental movie played in my head. Looking forward to seeing the pics and who knows a video of that 'bomb' may just show up soon. Congrats to you and your PSH team, as well as all the contestants in the event... 
    Thanks Blane,.....   Mahalo   
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
Awesome read, Blane. It is not often that I get to hear the firsthand account of someone in an event like the Ku Ikaika Challenge. Thanks for taking the time to share the details with all of us. Congratulations to you and your PSH team.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
Until Blane gets his photos up, there are some nice images here:

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article_bamp.cfm?id=13744

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
AWESOME!!!!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to share  ;D  ;D

Wonderful story.

It is so awesome that you're still a regular guy, still connected through the forums and sharing your stoke.

Don't ever become so famous and disconnected that you can't remain a zoner  ;D

PSH RULES

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 03:12:39 PM »
Great job Blaine congrats and hats off to you for charging the bombs, and writing the killer story for all of us out here freezing our nipples off.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

jethro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »
Great stuff. You guys rock!!!

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the story Blaine,great stuff.Congrats to you and your PSH team!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh...thanks ...i needed that... ;D

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the first hand account!...............and.....OMG that was one of the most INSANE waves I ever seen an SUP surfer on!! Although, I was FEARING for your LIFE until you surfaced!

I was standing up by the announcers booth when that set came in and had a perfect vantage point. That set was MASSIVE and we were all screaming our heads off as you took off DEEP and far outside. Your line and speed were perfect and it definitely looked you could make it. That was UNTIL the infamous bowl section thundered down like a glass guillotine and EXPLODED on you!! Damm that was HEAVY!! Glad you survived survived safe and sound!

Nate caught it all on video, I cant wait to see it.

We will NEVER forget that wave! Congratulations on an outstanding performance and for the incredible success of your team riders. Watching Arron win that event was one of the most heartwarming moments I ever seen in contest surfing. It could not have happened to nicer more humble guy!

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »
Thanks Blane...you made me feel like I was there with you!

Blane Chambers

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:39:46 PM »
Yes, Aaron was THE MAN!!!!    SOOO Stoked for him!!!     Thank you to everyone for the nice words.       It was sure a cool day and event.   My friend Allen Mozo sent me these shots...   Thanks Allen!!!

This is the first wave I missed.  I thought Chuck got it but he got the one before this one.   Turned out it was Chris I saw inside.       That lump didn't let me in as it converged with the whole thing...   I heard later this wave peeled off ALL THE WAY to the channel.

Here's the entry into the bomb.     Looks mellow and small and  the real section that I'm about to backdoor is bigger than the above picture...   This was the beginning of what turned out to be a streaking good ride then one good ass whooping!!   Ha ha! ;D

Had a good laugh afterwards with the water patrol...   All in good fun!

More pics to come...

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:48:36 PM by Blane Chambers »

Byronmaui

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 01:19:57 AM »
Great pics Blaine.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. What happened to Leleo?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:28:56 AM by Byronmaui »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal