Author Topic: Corban Fusion compared against Starboard Pocket Rocket  (Read 9888 times)

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Corban Fusion compared against Starboard Pocket Rocket
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
I have a starboard Pocket Rocket 8.5. I am interested in a second board similar to keep some where else. I am keen on a Coreban Fusion from what I have seen and read, although I didn't particularly want a high volume board (126L vs 148L). I weigh about 70kg. I like a short board but also one good for noseriding so with a rounder nose. For use in large to small surf, quality and lower quality waves - an all round small SUP basically. Can anyone who has tried both give me some feeback.  Also views on their different construction types. Thanks.

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Corban Fusion compared against Starboard Pocket Rocket
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
Hi Alexf,

I can give you a little info on the Fusion.  It comes in the Pure range and the Core range.  The only difference besides looks is the 14g foam vs. the 20g foam.  The 20g foam (core series) goes above and beyond the standard foam giving a very strong core (especially after is vacuumed and sandwhiched).  Both series have multiple layers of biaxal glass and have reinforced nose, tail and rails - built to last. Both have a wood sandwich.  You can see all the construction diagrams on the coreban site.  The Pure series will be a little bit lighter than the core.

As far as performance, it's my personal favorite board.  The full nose is a blast to nose ride and also gives the board a lot of versatility.  I've found that I can position myself much further up on the board if I need to get into a wave earlier or the wave is slow.  Then...when I get my back foot over the fins it rips....excellent volume displacement!  It's a VERY responsive board and I've had a lot of fun switching up between a quad set up and a thruster set up.  I love the quad set up when the waves are small - very playful.  I put the thruster set up when the waves get head high and above - driving bottom turns and off the lips.  It has a very defined swallow tail with sharp rails which is great for high performance moves....and the full nose is great for nose riding.  A versatile high performance board.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions!

best,
Linus

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Just had the opportunity to demo the Fusion in Maui.  Small surf but still got a good feeling for the board.  I already own the Performer, and was looking to add the Fusion to my quiver.  It is stable and paddles well for a shorter board.  It does catch waves easily and the fuller, rounder nose really allows you to stand forward and even ride the nose.  Granted the waves were smaller and I can't wait to try this board in some bigger surf, but I felt it was as loose as the Performer, yet offers the option to nose ride which the Performer isn't really designed for.

another great shape from Coreban
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Beachbuddy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
When and where can I get a hold of a Pure Fusion?

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
Beachbuddy, where are you located?

The boards arrive in October.  Surfing Sports is going to be stocking them (great shop in Santa Barbara that also ships nationwide - Wardog contributes to the zone quite a bit).  http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/coreban-sup

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
@Caribsurf:  After riding the Fusion, do you think there is a lot of overlap between the Fusion and Performer? Without knowing all of the details of the bottom shape, they seem really close on paper.

@Linus Are the dimensions on the Coreban site correct for the Fusion and Performer?  Both are saying mid-widths of 29.5", but the Performer video says 29.75".  

Is there a significant price difference between the Pure and Core range (using the Fusion as an example, could you list MSRP)?  Do all boards still come with a bag?

Bonus question that doesn't have to be answered if it's top secret!  :)  Any changes in the Coreban line for 2011?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:04:33 PM by CB1 »
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
Hi CB1,

Ohhh...bonus questions!  ;D  I'll answer the regular Q's first.

The dimensions on the website are correct.  Ivan must have been thinking of a new secret board he's develping on the video  8)

The only difference between the Core range and the Pure range is looks and the Core range has a 20 gram foam core and the Pure a 14 gram foam core.  The 20g is super dense and when vacuumed and sandwhiched is very strong stuff.  The Pure series is lighter due to the 14 gram core thus adding a little less weight.  14g's is still super strong stuff when vacuumed and sandwiched (the 20g just goes above and beyond).  All boards come with fins, deckpad and boardbag.  The only changes for the 2011 range are updated graphics on the boards (updated logo) but no changes in the shapes.  New for 2011 are the Nitro and the Alpha series race boards as well.

Pricing difference between the Pure and Core is about $100 with the Core being higher priced and the Pure lower.  The MSRP on the Fusion Core is $1,429 and on the Pure is $1,329.

Let me know if you have any more q's and bonus q's! 
Linus

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »
Let me know if you have any more q's and bonus q's! 
Linus

If you would like to chime in on the performance differences between the Fusion and Performer, I would like to hear your thoughts as well.

Thanks!
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
Hey guys,

Late night for me.  I'm jamming getting stuff printed for Battle of the Paddle.  Okay, differences between the Performer and the Fusion.

I've been ridding the Performer for a while and when I hopped on the Fusion I felt like there was a volume difference....but there really isn't that much.  In fact I just did a demo in flat water where people couldn't really feel that much difference.  My learning curve was really quick since I was used to the Performer.  There is a volume difference, but only slightly.  I will say that the 6" shorter length plus the aggressive tail on the Fusion does create a slightly more aggressive board. They both react quickly (I hope what I'm writing makes sense as I'm so tired right now, haha).  I've really enjoyed the fusion because of it's versatility and quick turns...but....I was out at San O' the other day on the Performer and had a blast.  The major difference is that I can get up on the nose of the Fusion and it being 6" shorter creates more of a quick turn feel.  The performer has that extra volume which is great for heavier riders and the nose is pointier so it's a killer shape.  I love the option of the quad on the Fusion, especially in smaller surf.  It turns fast, really fun to do cut backs.  I've ridden both boards in big surf and they both conquer.  I will say that every single Coreban has phenomenal volume displacement.  The development team nails it on where the volume should be placed on each board.  I go back and forth between the two boards.  Bottom line, both are lots of fun...I'm always trying to ride the smallest board possible in relation to the wave conditions.  Hope that helps...I'm off to bed!

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 04:52:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Linus. I thought the Fusion 9 came in Wood too. I was offered one in Europe in wood - would that have the 14 g foam or the 20g?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 10:49:34 AM »
hey Alex  yes there is some overlap between the Fusion and Performer, but the Fusion offers nose riding due to the fuller nose.  I didn't notice much difference  in the way of stability or ease of paddling catching waves.  Both are super loose in the surf and they ride smaller than their 9 ft and 9'6 sizes.
The Fusion I will keep in the Caribbean so no overlaap  I also have a ULI and Coreban Rockett down there

hey Alex  in your private message you said you kited in Bequia, we may have met 10 years ago. I had just blown out my knee that day windsurfing and we met you on the road near my house as I was heading to the clinic in the harbor...was that you???
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Linus

• Rincon Status
  • www.coreban.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »
Hi Alex,

Yeah, it comes in wood too!  The wood has a 14g core to keep the boards light as the wood exterior ads strength and weight...it's all balancing strength and weight.  If you want to see a photo of the a cool wood Performer go to the Coreban section on the zone.

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »
Thanks Linus.

hey Alex  in your private message you said you kited in Bequia, we may have met 10 years ago. I had just blown out my knee that day windsurfing and we met you on the road near my house as I was heading to the clinic in the harbor...was that you???

A bit hazey but yes i remember that, just after I got told to stop by the police for being to close to the runway! It's a tricky beach to launch a kite as the gusts are strong until you get further out, but great place. I have a friend that lives at Paget Farm.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
ya tough place to launch a  kite for sure, but the set up is perfect for windsurfing
see you next easter
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

VB

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I cannot comment on the Fusion, but the Pocket Rocket is a lot of fun.  The PR is very skatey and is a lot of fun when working the face of a wave.  I have had some useage problems when the waves get steeper and bigger, but the board is meant more for mushy type waves.  The glide is good for a 8'5 board and is very stable.  IMO a fun board in small to medium sized surf.   

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal