Author Topic: Getting board on/off SUV in high wind  (Read 1640 times)

midwestnowaves

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Getting board on/off SUV in high wind
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
Hello all. Almost lost my Laird 11' 6'' earlier this week - high wind made it virtually impossible to get board off the top of my SUV, to carry the board to the launch site and to get the board back on the rack.

Any suggestions/tips on
1)getting board up and down from the rack and
2) carrying it safely

so I can still go SUPing on the windy days we get so often in the Midwest? (without my board getting blown away like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz!)

Thanks.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Getting board on/off SUV in high wind
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
On really windy days I use 2 people - if possible.

If not I will take the back rack strap off - and then just loosen the front one and "slide" the board out of the front strap and off the rack.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
Two people is the best way to go.. even if you ask a total stranger to help.

It's even harder putting the board back on.. because once it's on you need to let go for a few seconds while you put your straps over and tighten them.. I've often just asked people walking past to help by just putting a hand on top of the board to stop the wind flipping it while I do the strap thing.. Most strangers are happy to help if you ask nicely.

I've had boards fly off in those few seconds.. and seen many other boards fly off.. So don't trust the wind even for a second.. A sudden gust can come out of nowhere and it all happens so quick.

DJ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
And if you come to Maliko, really be careful.   One moment can seem dead calm and in the next, a cannonball gust that will send your board long... with nothing but rocks to land on.  The real trick is stacked boards.  Livio always puts another strap on the bottom one for insurance.  Extra straps are way cheaper than ding repair.  But these guys before me are right.  Get two people.  You know with some of these high elevation trucks these days, you better be tall as well.  My Nissan Frontier is just right for me @ 6 ft.  But with a, let's say, Sierra, you'll have to climb up on the truck bed to unhook straps.  So picking the correct vehicle is an important start.   I miscommunicated with who I was with recently and caught my new 16V2 right in the numbers.  My grab was a tad forward of center and the tail swung and hit the ground.  The tail tap only chipped the paint and I thought it was a worthy testament to the strength of the board.  But anyway like DJ said always assume that a gust is on its way.... ready to sack your board like a Ray Lewis tackle.  No time for mindless conversation until you have the board safely in the water... and then back on the truck and tied down afterwards. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal