Author Topic: Wetsuit layering  (Read 8890 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wetsuit layering
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Ok, I've been out in the recent foggy 60º air with 58º water and I'm seeing that winter is going to require a little windbreaking.

I'm currently layering a 1.5mm neoprene rash guard over a 3mm paddle john wetsuit and the top will be a little light for windy days.

Should I grab a heavier top, or can I layer something over or under to make up the difference? I feel like when I'm active, this is close to perfect, but I'm a lightweight and need a little extra to help replace the body fat. (no, I'm not willing to bulk up for the winter.) ;)

Thoughts? Anyone else layering out there?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wetsuit layering
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:04:51 AM »
i did this when i was a kid and it was really uncomfortable. but wetsuits are so good now i see no need. i just use a 3mil, a 4-3 and a 5 mil. i surf all yr into water well into the low 30s.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »
The Quiksilver heated Cypher vest is amazing.
It is poly pro and has a small battery pack that heats a lower back area element.

Used it last night in 39 F air temp. with just a long sleeve paddle shirt over top.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
Cool,

I'm thinking a 4/3 for me would set me about right, and with current prices there's not much reason to not do it, but I was wondering if folks layered up underneath.

Also, that vest looks pretty amazing, it'd be cool for snowboarding too.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »
Cowboy, if you go with a GOOD 4/3 you'll be fine.  Add a pullover neo top for the really cold days, but on a SUP the 4/3 should be enough on it's own..   Check with Mike C and his suit.  He loves it and he's a low body fats guy too.

Missed you this AM. Fun waves and around 20 boards out paddling.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
ive seen a thick rash guard u can ware under a wetsuit that would be like a extra layer. or u could look into a Patagonia suit that has a layer of wool inside it warmest suits ever made check them out but they are $$$$$$$

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
The Patagonia suits get rave reviews, but they are spendy.  I hear good things about Matuse as well.  Arbor on Washington Blvd carries them.  Mullusk Surf Shop in Venice has some very nice wetsuits with a synthetic wool.  I think they might be Japanese made and still a bit more expensive.  I may break down and buy one to keep toasty this winter.

aconstruction

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:18 AM »
Friends don't let friends layer their wetsuits

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »
See, these are the things I needed to hear. From "here's some options" to "don't" ;)

It's good to hear what folks are doing out there.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
Wetsuits are not right for all activities on the water. 

Any time you see yourself not working to maintain body heat then you need to think of another solution besides a wetsuit. 

Example I was doing a drift fishing trip on a rainy day in a wetsuit.  As long as I was rowing I was ok but when I took the fishing seat I froze my Ars off.  Another time I was going up river in March on a 70 mph ski. I hit a gravel bar and lost my impeller.  I had to go downriver by staying in the current because max speed reduced to 3mph.  When I got back to ramp I was shivering so bad it took until I got home 30 miles later under a heater on high to recover. I was wearing a 5/4 with hood and  booties.

So I am interested in hearing what is being said about layering.  However I think if you are working hard a wetsuit is probably adequate in all but some of the extreme conditions (ice and snow).

durban

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Surf Ontario
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 08:56:03 AM »
On the Great lakes where it gets real cold with chunks of ice in the water I have found layer seems to help me - others may not agree.

I use a .5 long sleeve under xcel suit (xcel seem to the favourite this part of the world for the very cold - I have a 4.3 oneill for warmer times). I have also found .5.mm neoprene socks help me too with my booties. Naturally use a suit with a hood and have good gloves.

Btw, I am a real wuss when it comes to the cold. And we last a couple of hours in the water. When I SUP I tend to dress down a little compared to surfing.
SurfOntario.com and DurbanAD.com

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
One note, I felt like a total kook at times with my farmer/paddle john with a neo rashie over it,  but this weekend when the water was chilly but the sun was hot here in LA it was nice to have the arms out while everyone else was sweating or chilled. (I'm learning so I'm in the water a good bit)

I'm thinking a 2MM top with booties and 2-3mm gloves will get me through the winter fine here in SoCal. When it's too cold or rainy, I'll be on the mountain anyway.

Thanks for the words of wisdom from all on the board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal