Author Topic: The cool weather (non wetsuit) SUP clothing thread  (Read 34809 times)

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The cool weather (non wetsuit) SUP clothing thread
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
Days are getting shorter for those of us in the northern hemisphere.

I'm just wondering what suggestions zoners have for cool weather SUP clothing.  I'm thinking more for touring/training/distance paddling.  I'm looking for something in between rashguard and full on wetsuit.  I take the occasional unintended swim when paddling, and hate coming up with a soaking wet/cold rashguard.  On the other hand, my 4/3 wetsuit can get restrictive and hot.  I also have a tri (swimming wetsuit), but even that is pretty restrictive.

Oh, also anyone tried the KoreDry clothing?  QuickSilver had some demo clothing at the Tahoe Nalu that looked great, but it isn't on their website.

Thanks

FYI, I'm in Northern Calif, where our water is about 52-53F degrees and I surf in a 4/3 wetsuit and booties.

NathV4

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: The cool weather (non wetsuit) SUP clothing thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »
All I can do is tell you what I do... Boardies and a North Face breathable shell. Reduce moisture inside and block that cool breeze... Oh and don't fall in  ;D
"Dad, you were like a father to me".

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
SoCal winters, the water gets to 57.  Depending on the water temps, sunny vs drizzly, distance vs surfing, I'll wear either a Springsuit 2/1mm, or a sleeveless short pants wetsuit 2/1.mm, or boardshorts with long sleeve 1.mm BodyGlove neoprene shirt, or boardshorts with sleeveless 1.mm vest., or boardshorts with Mysterioso (REI) thick fleece rashguard/shirt., or.................
Plenty of options.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
I have a short sleeve fleece rashie from Mysterioso that's the bomb.  Keeps you warm on those cool foggy days, even with some wind, but doesn't overheat you when you get going.  It also works great under my 3/2 suit on cold winter days when I'd normally go to the 4/3.  I paid less than the listed MSRP at my local surf shop.

http://mysterioso.com/detail.php?g=m&c=1&p=1

When it's a little too cold for just the fleece, or I expect to get wet now and again, I wear a 1.5 mm short sleeve neoprene shirt from O'Neill.

Next level of protection is a short leg/sleeve spring suit, then on to the 3/2 Mutant, and finally a 4/3 Psycho II for those really cold February mornings.

Santa Cruz conditions so should be similar.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »
Its starting to cool off here.  A guy was susing last week for a couple of days with just trunks.  But yesterday the fog rolled back in, I had the heater on in the office and it was just cold.

For susing I have been using a short john most of the summer.  Now with it cooling off I will go back to a 4 3 full suit and always booties.

For us air temperature getting cooler has us dressing warmer.  Our water temp is mostly cold year round but any time it blows nw for a few days water can get really cold. As long as the air is not as cold we are good to go with less but once it cools off and you are wearing a coat we are wearing full suits.

Our average temp around here is in the 50's with rare nice days taking us to 70. If I were in so cal I would be trunking it more than here and probably good with a short john when to cold for trunks. Because your air temp is so much warmer I would not last as long wearing a full suit. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
I have a 1.5 mm neoprene rash guard that I dig a lot.

The latest is that this summer I wore a C9 polypro thermal top when it was just "breezy" and that was pretty good, and cheap.

I have to say that if you are not in seriously protected water, near shore, keep something serious on you. Hypothermia is no joke. Better to be too warm and make it home than to fall and not be able to get back.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
I used the quiksilver heated vest for around the rock race work like a charm. No sleeves, pile lined and can turn it on or off. Also started with a wool cap that I just stuck in my pocket when I warmed up.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
I used to row an open water shell on the San Francisco Bay, out of Sausalito, all yr long in the early A.M.  I was constantly going thru rips & boat wakes. As in toatally soaked. I had two different weights of quick drying tights. Between the wind & water, I hardly ever returned back to the dock cold.   OK wear boardshorts over if you like.   There is plenty of upper body gear also available.  Go to a good running store.  Enjoy.

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »
In Hawaii, our water temp can get down to the low-70's. I know. Freezing! Anyway, last winter, I got tired of shivering waiting for waves, so I got a LS Xcel Xcelerator. It has 1 mm neoprene in the chest, and .5 mm on the tops of the arms, with rash guard material on the under arms. The lighter weight arms are a plus for me: keeps me from getting too hot and maximizes freedom of movement. They also make it in 2/1mm. Plenty of other companies make similar products.

Hoffenator

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
+1 on the short leg/sleeve spring suit; great for in between temps.  If it starts to feel a little to cold for just the spring suit I have an old wetsuit jacket that I can put on.  Next step up for me is the 4/3 full wetsuit, and I like to hold off as long as possible before giving into the reality that summer is gone  :(.

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
In Canada we can get go from 60 to high 30's in a couple of hours. If you are on flat water/distance a wetsuit even a 3/2 can get way to hot (even with the snow falling). Some of the options we use here are fleece lined cycling/running pants and some type of wicking fleece top.
I just picked up a pair of neoprene 3/2 pants from a paddling/kayak store similiar to REI. This way I can get wet up to my knees but not have wet clothes. That allow me to layer a top depending on the conditions.
If you are surfing or are getting wet consistently a good quality chest zip is the way to go.
The worst part is cold hands and feet, good quality booties and gloves are a must.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00:54 PM »
I've been thinking about picking up something like the NRS Rio paddling jacket.... which is basically a wind breaker with neoprene wrist & neck cuffs.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2590

I paddled in a 3/2 wetsuit last spring as I was learning, and spent a lot more time in the water than I do now. I got pretty hot, despite the 40s air temps, and had to jump in to cool off occasionally (if I didn't just fall in). But the suit I have is designed for waterskiing & not really comfortable for paddling. It worked at the time but I think I can do better.
--
Bill

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
For hands, I recommend gloves by Thunderwear.  Our local SUP shop sells them.  Check
them out.

JoeK

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
I'm up in Canada and I started paddling this year when there was still ice on the river banks. Air temps were about 12-14 degrees Celcius (approx 50 degrees Fahrenheit).  Water temps were about half that!

I found NRS Hydroskin pants and a lightweight top (Hydroskin or Rashguard) are perfect for paddling on a river.  The RIO paddling jacket would be a good way to keep the wind at bay.

Booties are a must.  I have a pair of 3mm booties and they work fine.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 04:07:09 PM »
For flat water paddling in cold conditions you can't beat cycling gear.

The long sleeve jersey can be unzipped different amounts and the pockets on the back are a bonus.

DJ

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]