Author Topic: "Add a Blade" conversion on paddle for upwind paddling  (Read 2755 times)

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Add a Blade" conversion on paddle for upwind paddling
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
Has anyone tried one of these add-on paddle blades that turn a SUP paddle into a bastardized kayak paddle? I am new to downwind, having just bought a new 14 Glide. The difficulty of arranging a car shuttle caused me to think about trying to paddle upwind myself, which is a topic I have seen recently on this forum. The problem I anticipate is getting so worn out going upwind that there is not much left for the downwind leg. I was thinking of just kneeling (or sitting) during the upwind leg to save effort. This is where the strap on blade could be useful, if it works. I can visualize cutting upwind like a kayak and removing the add-on blade for the standup ride back down. Is this realistic?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Add a Blade" conversion on paddle for upwind paddling
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
Just as easy to carry a real kayak paddle on the deck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Add a Blade" conversion on paddle for upwind paddling
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
Well I went ahead and got the "Add a Blade" from NSI. It is pretty cheap. And it does work, surprisingly well. Tried it yesterday, going upwind from the Hatchery and it worked as advertised. It isn't as effective as your real  blade but it does give you a usable kayak paddle. Seems like it will be a useful, lightweight, self-rescue tool, if nothing else. Conditions were 80 degree air, 8-10mph west wind. There was occasionally rideable swell on the way back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal