Author Topic: 4th ticket in 14 months in CA  (Read 4781 times)

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
4th ticket in 14 months in CA
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »
Got my 4th ticket in 14 months here in CA, this time i get pulled over and i am soo confused b/c i've change my driving habits recently to only go exactly the speed limit, the cop tell's me "i am giving you a cell phone ticket"... what? i was using my head set.
"no you had your right hand to your ear and you were talking on your cell phone", no i was pushing the button on my headset to turn it off, it takes 3 seconds to turn off my headset, i had just put the headset away, then i saw the lights.
"you can tell that to the judge and see if he believes you or me"

Damn, when i get a ticket, it is for something that i have done wrong, this is new to me... a citation for obeying the law.

Whatever!

Pureadrenalin

Re: 4th ticket in 14 months in CA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Wow that sucks. Now days you cant win.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »
Revenue Generation. Expect a lot more of that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
"Revenue Generation. Expect a lot more of that."
Pono... I get that part, 3 tickets in less than a year... after no tickets in a 15 year span, then the "CA mandated cell phone crack down"
I got hosed.
Oh well, i am trying to tell myself it could be worse... like i could live in a different country like Mex. and get pulled over and shook down or robbed or worse

The new motto of US Law enforcement: To cite, serve and protect (or we get laid off)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
So here's the interesting part. If you look at any state organization (or county, or national) you find that the ratio of management to foot-soldiers (ie. administrators to teachers, management to beat cops, etc.) is at least 1 to 1 and in many cases two to one management vs. workers.. Lots of reasons, but none of them matter. The reality is that we are paying for a lot of management in government. When you hear the government whining about budgets and how they must cut services just remember why that is. Their political power comes in great part from the management positions that we pay for. Increasing class sizes and laying off teachers when there are two administrators for every teacher is simply punitive. The budget could be cut in half without any effect on services, but the politicians owe the entrenched bureaucrats too much. No real business, anywhere, operates with a one to one ratio of management to line worker unless management is right in there lifting the bales. Ever seen a GS7 lift anything other than their fat ass?

At the farmers market a few weeks ago there was a guy from the health department out harassing the folks selling baked goods. Inspecting their sanitation. They can't sell breads with cheese in them anymore because of some theoretical health issue. Some other customer was asking the inspector why they were hanging out at farmers markets. "So the citizens understand that we're here to help them" he said. I interjected "If I needed you to help me I'd just shoot myself. Don't you have some little kids lemonade stand that needs to be closed down".  Always trying to make friends.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
So here's the interesting part. If you look at any state organization (or county, or national) you find that the ratio of management to foot-soldiers (ie. administrators to teachers, management to beat cops, etc.) is at least 1 to 1 and in many cases two to one management vs. workers.. Lots of reasons, but none of them matter. The reality is that we are paying for a lot of management in government. When you hear the government whining about budgets and how they must cut services just remember why that is. Their political power comes in great part from the management positions that we pay for. Increasing class sizes and laying off teachers when there are two administrators for every teacher is simply punitive. The budget could be cut in half without any effect on services, but the politicians owe the entrenched bureaucrats too much. No real business, anywhere, operates with a one to one ratio of management to line worker unless management is right in there lifting the bales. Ever seen a GS7 lift anything other than their fat ass?

At the farmers market a few weeks ago there was a guy from the health department out harassing the folks selling baked goods. Inspecting their sanitation. They can't sell breads with cheese in them anymore because of some theoretical health issue. Some other customer was asking the inspector why they were hanging out at farmers markets. "So the citizens understand that we're here to help them" he said. I interjected "If I needed you to help me I'd just shoot myself. Don't you have some little kids lemonade stand that needs to be closed down".  Always trying to make friends.

Pono for President!
Government BS is just getting worse. As a Kalifornian, we seem to get the worst of it - high taxes and nothing to show for it.

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
It's such a shame what has happened to the "Land of the Free", You're not even free to stand up paddle without doing it how and where you are told.

With so many rules and regulations it is hard to not run afoul of the law. It seems to be gradually becoming more of a police state. The U.S. has more people in jail than China or Russia.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=1

Of course, we can always say at least it's better than Mexico, but that's not saying much.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
Speak with your vote... November's coming and I, for one, would like to see a few of my representatives take a hike.

And, I'm a teacher, yes- P.B's exactly right- way too many administrators to administer way too many entitlement programs.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
Well... some good news... I did do the trial by written declaration for this citation.
Weeks later i got the response that said GUILTY... but the fine was reduced by $60.00
No explanation, but that is better than paying the full $158.00 fine.

Taxation by citation i say.
(what the blagnar)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »
Been flying commercial lately?
Full body scanners, total pat downs and ups.
I'm just waiting for somebody to get thru with some explosives up his ass, his ass explodes mid flight, then we all have to bend over, spread our cheeks, before we can get onboard.
That's next.   >:(
It takes a quiver to do that.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
The effing jihadists won.   >:(

chinglespeed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
If I were a cop I'd give tickets just for wearing one of those ear-phone things in public, whether driving or not.

Sorry about your luck, pj. It seems you're getting pulled entirely too often. The ol' California truism, "you are what you drive" is pathetic, but there it is. Maybe you just need a flash[ier] ride, it helps with keeping your tail from gettin' fuzzy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:43:54 PM by chinglespeed »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »
I've got to say though, things are a lot better than they used to be. I remember getting tickets going through small towns just because I had an out of state plate. Or being followed on my motorcycle for twenty miles by a cop car, and finally being pulled over and ticketed for speeding even though I wasn't. I also remember belligerent, threatening cops, especially in California and in the south. I think Rodney King had a little something to do with sprucing that up.

Of course I was innocent as a child--certainly as innocent as Rodney. I'm still not supposed to drive in Virginia. My final ticket there was for doing wheelies and stoppies on a dirt bike with no registration in downtown Newport News. I left the state via the USS Enterprise and they sent me a notice that my right to drive was revoked for life. Never liked Virginia anyway, though I snuck into the state to race at VIR in Danville a few years ago. But I did it in a very subdued and subtle vehicle:

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
I've got to say though, things are a lot better than they used to be. I remember getting tickets going through small towns just because I had an out of state plate. Or being followed on my motorcycle for twenty miles by a cop car, and finally being pulled over and ticketed for speeding even though I wasn't.

Sounds like all my recent trips through Baja.

And Bill, isn't that board on your roof racks suppose to be bottom up and fin forward?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal