Author Topic: San Diego reservoirs and SUP  (Read 24352 times)

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
San Diego reservoirs and SUP
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or input about SUP in San Diego area lakes and reservoirs.? The simplified version I have heard is that SUP is not permitted because they are reservoirs and you can't have contact with the water. That is why it is OK to have a sit on top kayak, even though let's be honest...in a SOT kayak, we're sitting side saddle and peeing off the side, etc. But OK. But I see that at a lot of these reservoirs, you can: bring a bass boat, a kayak, a float tube (where your body is in the water the whole time), a jet ski (?!), swim when a lifeguard is present, etc.  But San Diego Parks and Rec explicitly states that SUP is not allowed at any time.
There is a post on Tahoe SUP's site that I saw last winter where they were allowed to do stand up there, because a lifeguard was present ? Link here:http://www.tahoesup.com/_blog/Tahoe_SUP_Blog/post/Paddling_on_El_Capitan_Lake,_San_Diego_County/
I see on San Diego Park and Rec site that they state no SUP at any time on Capitan Reservoir, and this is on the What's New page. Seems ridiculous.  Any experience, or idea where they are coming from here?  Its not that big of a draw, since they have a lot of restrictions about what you can do, and they charge you to fish there, etc...but it would be nice to fish those areas from a stand up.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: San Diego reservoirs and SUP
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
same thing up here in OC at Irvine Lake. fish-float on an old tire-do whatever you want but no way can you SUP!!
Friggin ridiculous-had a long talk with someone from OC Parks & Recreation-did not even know what a SUP was but he knew you couldnt bring it to Irvine Lake!-Bogus... >:(
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
Even more ridiculous is the fact that El Capitan Resevior (owned by City of San Diego) is open for water skiing on certain days of the week !

They came under press. years ago that their lakes, with awful tasting fish,only were for fishing, so the city said they'd open up El Cap and San Vicente (closed for a 1 billion $ dam enlargement). I've seen plenty  of water contact  with a million h2o skiers.

BS

lazybean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »
THanks for this post, i was curious about this too.   I find it funny that they use power boats in the lakes, and every other kind of "vessel" but not a SUP.  Yet other areas we are held to the strictest regulations being considered a "vessel".

There is nothing like being the red headed stepchild of water sports.

Edit:  After looking at the sandiego.gov website, only El Cap[itan says " no SUP"   I sent an email inquiring about this to them. ill let you know any response.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:10:21 PM by lazybean »

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:30:16 PM »
Thanks again. Let me know. There shouldnt be any reason why we cant fish anywhere you can fish in a float tube! I know that the lakes are like their own fiefdom, with a million regulations (boat washing, launch fees, crazy rules about what days you can do what!).

Skylab 2000

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »
I live next to Lake Hodges in Escondido, and years ago, there used to be dozens of windsurfers on windy days.
Only recently did I see one Windsurfer out there.

Something, something
...the city/county doesn't have lifeguards on duty.

I read online that SUP'ing was possible on San Vicente, but only in the lifeguard patrolled area (which is tiny).

But my question is, who is going to bust you if you go rogue and get out there on the water for a quick paddle?
I'd do early morning...

MuffinTop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »
Sorry to bump up this old topic.  I live very close to Lake Hodges and this is a bummer. I called the San Diego county Reservoirs and recreation program office.  Apparently they worked on a draft application to allow SUPs in 2012, it was rejected in 2013. They may try again if enough of us call/email them.

Also, I found that Lake San Marcos allows SUP.
http://www.homeinfosandiego.com/paddle-boarding-at-lake-san-marcos.html

If there are any other lakes in the vicinity that have changed their rules, could you please post them here.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Those are all bs excuses.  Plenty of other states have lakes specifically created to be reservoirs for drinking water and they have no such restrictions.

Someone just doesn't want SUPs on their lake.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal