Author Topic: finally finished my Kaholo  (Read 5926 times)

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
finally finished my Kaholo
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »
Hi all

Finally got my Kaholo done and out on the water. Feels pretty d!@# good, especially after looking at its half complete hull up in the rafters for the last year.

http://www.quietwaterfilms.com/Kaholo-SUP-project.htm

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: finally finished my Kaholo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
looks a sweet ride across the lake with the sun burning
off the morning mist on a craft you built by hand

nice one  8)

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
It was a great morning to be on the water. Dead still. Glass smooth. Kegonsa suffers from too much farm runoff, so it is definitely on the green side, but it's still wet and still floats a board.

I thought this board was a great building project. Nothing too extreme about it all. Kind of makes me wonder why CLC is not shining more light on it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »
Nice job...one of the prettiest boards we have in the CCBC is a CLC.

I'm thinking about building one for fishing /touring...or maybe one of my own design...slightly wider with hardpoints for mounting amas and gear.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
thanks Stoneaxe.  Fun build overall. Scarf joints were the most frustrating part. They come up early in the build and if you have not done them before, it is easy not to give them the respect they deserve. I discovered the hard way that they can easily be made into a real mess.  But they are water tight.  Ugly but watertight. 

I like your outrigger idea the best so far when it comes to SUP fishing rigs. I think a few Scotty rod holder brackets could be placed to serve as brackets for a removable wing that would give a SUP like this more stability.  And a really cool look too.

Looking forward to my second paddle tomorrow AM.

GSXXTRS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
Congrats on your build and patience for doing it from plans.  It took me about 5 weeks early this summer to build mine from kit.  I added a little modification of a standard fin box for some choice with fins.  It came out heavier than advertised though relatively fast.

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
I thought about fin boxes but after waaaay too long of a wait, I decided to just get this done and in the water.  I did however, put in a handhold in the middle of the board as well as a Scotty rod hold bracket about 18 inches in front of the hand hold. I also spent a fair amount of time inlaying some wave-shaped pieces of purpleheart at mid-deck on both side of the board. Really happy with how that turned out.

Took it out again today and went up the Yahara river.  Another sweet ride. Goes well against the current.

Might have to go again tonight under the full moon.

JB

Dusty Yevsky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
I'm interested in hearing your paddling impressions of the Kaholo. I built one not knowing anything about SUP.  After paddling the K' I thought that it veered a little too much side to side. I really can't do more than 4-5 strokes on a side before I have to switch. After paddling other SUPs I'm definitely convinced the tracking is not great. I was in contact with the designer, Larry Froley, who says that switching often is the correct way to paddle but I'm not convinced. I'm not sure if it my board in particular or inherent in the design but the videos on the CLC website also seem to show boards that require a lot of correction. I'm thinking of adding third fin or fin box but am not sure where to place it. Anyway I'd love to hear your impressions.

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
Like you, I am doing lots of side switching.  I agree with Larry F that switching is an acceptable paddling style. I know in canoe racing there is very little ruddering or j-stroking. Instead it is all rapid side switches.

With that said though, I do wish that the tracking was better. A third big fin might just do the trick for me as well. Looking at the bottom of the board, it is easy to see how easy it still is for this board even with the two oversized skegs I added, to skid over the top rather than dig in and hold a line.   

I'm using a paddle I built myself and that should probably be part of the equation here. I usually try and throw in a little bit of correction with each paddle stroke. With this combo of board and paddle I am seeing virtually no effect when a quick correction is applied on each stroke.  It takes a strong and longer corrective paddle motion before I can feel the board come about like I want it to.  Side switching gets me better results a bit quicker, so that is what I'm mostly doing.  After this bit, I am curious what a bit longer paddle with more of a bend in it would do for me.

I also seem to have some asymmetry going on.  Three strokes on my right side have the same effect as two strokes on my left side. So something somewhere is messed up. Right now, I'm not believing that I am that much stronger on my left than I am on my right.  The imbalance is not obvious to my eye anywhere, so right now I am stumped.

But, I'm getting some great morning workout paddles in on a beautiful still lake as the sun comes up.  This is my first build. It floats, I can stand and I can paddle it, so I'm happy!

GSXXTRS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
I planned all along to put in a finbox and it performs better than my stock sized all around board in terms of tracking.  I use a 10" weed fin because of the heavy kelp here.  Retro fitting after the fact would be pretty tough IMO.  I glassed and epoxied in a redwood 2x4 routered to accept a 10.5" finbox between the last and second to last bulk head.  It may seem a bit far forward but if you look at the better unlimited class displacement boards their fins are just as much forward.

Dusty Yevsky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:16 AM »
Thanks for the input on the K’s performance. Overall I’m pretty happy with the board, mostly because it’s fast and handles well in chop and swells due to the “kayak” nose. I played around this weekend with adding a third fin (same pattern as the existing two) and it drastically improved the tracking. I just duct taped it on but really had no clue regarding the optimal placement. If I can figure out the best placement I was also thinking of installing a small dagger board trunk instead of a fin box. This way I can have a variable depth fin that I can adjust to conditions. A fin box or trunk wouldn’t be too hard to install, just means a deck plate on the back of the board. Anyone know of a good on-line source of info that can shed light on fin size, shape and placement for SUP’s?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:38:44 AM by Dusty Yevsky »

whiskeyjack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
Nice job Jeff! I didn't realize you were a craftsman... you might need to come work at Whiskeyjack if the Film thing doesn't pan out.

See you at 'Copia.

Danny Brown
Whiskeyjack Paddles
www.whiskeyjackpaddles.com

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:31 PM »
Nice job...one of the prettiest boards we have in the CCBC is a CLC.

I'm thinking about building one for fishing /touring...or maybe one of my own design...slightly wider with hardpoints for mounting amas and gear.

bob... my latest paddle marathon in less than ideal conditions has made me a believer in he outrigger sup!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal