Author Topic: Belgian Waffles ~ Way off Topic  (Read 2731 times)

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Belgian Waffles ~ Way off Topic
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »

My great grandma handed down a recipe for waffles that I grew up loving.  The recipe is simple and we had only used it in a regular waffle iron.  That all changed when my parents bought us a Belgian Waffle Iron for Christmas.  That recipe is almost life altering when put in the new Belgian Waffle maker.  In my opinion, it is better than any Belgian Waffle I ever had in a restaurant.  I’ve been wanting to try “real” Belgian waffle recipes but I just can’t bring myself to break away from her recipe.  I’m posting her recipe here incase there are other Belgian Waffle lovers that want to compare her recipe to others they have tried.  I’d love to know if I’m missing something w/ the more complicated Belgian Waffle recipes or if simplicity in this case is the ticket.

The Recipe
1 3/4 cup flour (I usually do 3/4 cup wheat flour and 1 cup white flour)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 cups Buttermilk
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I usually use a tad less)

Directions:
Beat Eggs
Add liquid Ingredients
Do reverse on dry ingredients.

PS… hope this is not too foo foo of a post for SUPers.  Sorry if you think this should be relegated to Oprah, or Recipies.com.  But in my mind waffles, coffee, and a morning SUPing all perfectly relate.  Which brings me to my recent life goal, but that will have to wait for another post.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Belgian Waffles ~ Way off Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
Really stupid question coming up: do you need a waffle maker to make waffles? Is there another way? I would love to try this recipe but don't want to invest in a waffle maker to do it. Especially since I am trying to save up for a new board!

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »

i ate some in Oostende after a cold session in nordzee. miammiam, flamen-greedy!

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
i suppose you could try it like making pancakes.  Just on a hot greased griddle or pan.  But part of the magic of the belgian waffle cooker is that i makes it crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.  You lose that w/ a regular waffle iron and it probably diminishes even more just cooking them like pancakes?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:53:30 AM »
Definitely a good post. One nice thing that Standup does is allows me to eat foods that would otherwise add to my already large butt. Nothing like a good breakfast to give you energy for a full day on the water.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal