Author Topic: Does your surf shop "support" paddle surfing?  (Read 7319 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does your surf shop "support" paddle surfing?
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
Does your area surf shops stock sup inventory?

My travels indicate that many do not.  Is this due to profit margin on equipment  not being enough for the inventory investment? Lack of funds, lack of space, lack of sup customers or
lack of  knowledge. 

Some shops may only order the gear when buyer purchases it instead of having an inventory which I feel is still support.  Others are still feeling it out but do you think some may just not like sup.

It looks like the sup shops that are dedicated to sup and paddle sports is becoming the sup store.  I would have thought that coastal surf shops would have been quick to buy in.  For inlanders the surf shop is pretty rare so a paddle sports shop might be their support.

What do you think? 

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Does your surf shop "support" paddle surfing?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »
"My" shop does.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
I would estimate a little less than a third of the shops in my area of Central Florida support SUP.  In those cases it seems that staff or owners are into it themselves. 

Kendall

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
Since I am new to SUP and have not surfed before I have been in several surf shops in Va. Beach and OBX doing research. I have rented boards 3 times trying to decide what is best for me. My experience is most shops carry a few boards but that is about as far as it goes.  Most of the staff at the shops are either not educated in SUP or they really do not want  to sell one (two in my case, my wife wants one also).  I have found that it is best to skip the staff and try to speak with the owners and they have always been helpful.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
"My" shop--Gorge Performance in Portland--has quite a selection of SUP boards and paddles.  There seem to be about a dozen general purpose SUP boards at any time, plus a constantly-changing smaller assortment of race boards.  The staff as well as the owners paddle and are very knowledgeable.  They organized a race series this summer, which drew many of the best paddlers in the area--and also was a great opportunity to meet people and see a range of racing boards.  The shop draws some really knowledgeable customers, also, and I have met and learned a lot from some of them at the shop.

I also like that they are not just a SUP shop--they also carry gear for surfing, snowboarding, windsurfing, skating....I know nothing about these other sports, but they're all related, and a lot of people do more than one of them.  People going in to the store for one thing get exposure to the others.  Now that I have my stand-up board, I'm getting interested in surfing--SUP or otherwise--and having all the gear and advice for it available at the same store will make it that much easier and more likely that I'll try it someday. 

I read occasionally about animosity between surfers and paddlers.  I know it's a topic in itself, but having shops that cater to both--where the gear and customers are mixed together, and the staff knows both sports (or rather branches of the same sport) well, and invites everyone to the same parking lot luau parties, seems like a positive, unifying force. 

paddlesurfwarehouse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
Check out Paddle Surf warehouse in Dana Point, Ca. and Costa Mesa, Ca. They have over 200 hundred boards in stock at all times.

www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com

DJD1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »
My local shop does SUP maybe 10 boards but most of the guys that work in there treat you like a leper if you want to talk SUP. It maybe that they don't know much about the sport so they are doing that 'I know better' guy thing but it gets a bit boring to the pt I tend to do all my reseach on line.

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
At this point its like snowboarding was in the early 90's, finally ski resorts realized snowboarders had wallets also.  Everything changed, as will our market and the shops if they are smart.  I am sick of the folks drinking surf haterade, we are not starting wars, we are just enjoying the water.  There will always be some Barney that blows it by dropping in, going outside the swell and stealing the good stuff, its a person by person issue, not a sup issue.  They will come around if they are smart.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
im pretty lucky- i have a quite a few SUP dedicated shops down here in Orange County-Socal-paddlesurfwarehouse is a great one-there is Becker Surf in Mission Viejo-big new Hobie store with a big SUP section in Dana Point-big new SUP store in Laguna Beach-so down here there is lots to choose from, and to be honest the local sharks dont bother me much and in the last week or so since the landlords showed up at Sano the lineup is a little thinner! ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
all shops near me suck, only one really has demo boards and rest of the shops all the boards are over 10 ft long and staff knows nothing and i get the feeling they dont even like sup.  in nj no flat earth is the only shop that has a clue all the rest blow.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
 Here in N Fla; yes. Most of the 'major' surf shops in my area support and sell SUPs...                         Later,            JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:02:55 PM »
Hey,  I live out on eastern long island . There are about 7 stores with in 25 miles and for stand up gear 3 are descent and worth checking into, and 1 of those is closed more than 1/2 the year. If your after  a short, race or down wind  board you'll  have to custom order ,or go else where for now.  My friends and I try our best to support the local shops ,but  it usually winds up being  easier and cheaper to use other resources .  If you asked, the majority of people would still rather surf  than paddle when it was going off. I think most of our shops  are just trying to avoid the risk of not being able to unload there merchandise during the 3 + months season, but they do show some support.

I hope  it is just a matter of time before it really takes off out here and we'll have a greater selection of gear at our local shops.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
I noticed while in HB surf city last June that the main street down town area had very few paddle boards in the few shops that had any.  Most were not performance models.  I did not locate the paddle board shops that have posted.  Glad they are available.  Used to be most of the surf shops in HB were near the main street and 101 areas. 

I have also noticed that the board manufacturer who makes and retails boards have embraced sup  like Hobie.  I believe Hobie even wholesales to retailers.

Went up the Or coast last weekend and checked out a surf shop.  No sup gear.  I find that this is the norm.  The area was loaded with beach breaks and I met more women long boarders that morning than men surfers.  I may have seen 2 or 3 sups on racks driving but if they were surfers they usually had prone equipment. Did I score good waves! I was the only one out riding at a beach break in front of a small creek that produced rights and lefts that were steep and hollow. Amazing people would check it out and leave good waves. Later I found a group 20-30 surfers riding some creeks and the waves quality were not something I would have suited up for. No sup their either.

Our surf shops don't stock sup inventory other than a paddle or two and the custom shop does not have any on the rack. One shop you can order a custom and the other shop you can order from a distributor who delivers to the shop.  This is support.

I don't think the reason for lack of inventory is due to sup hatred.  Most shop owners are in it for a profit.  The longer you hold out on embracing, leaves an opportunity for those who will stock the gear.  Which brings me back to my original observation that the shops who sell gear often specialize in sup and have nice inventory selection of sup but not to much prone surf product. 

Are the Australian shops full service surf shops?  Looks like DJ"s pictures of a shop (posted on another thread) and easy riders shop in Canada is how I would expect it should be.  Has everything.  I wish more were like that.  Had I found a board I liked I would have brought it home. That is how I support surf shops.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
IMHO, if you have a Surf shop and do not sell SUPs, you will be outta business within a few years, unless, you can keep a core group of excellent shortboarders hanging around, and sell expensive black t-shirts with skulls/daggers to the goth skateboard crowd for their back-to school wardrobe.

Our local shops are selling both, and benefiting from each market.....it helps
put sup in the mainstream of our surf culture which is mostly kook kulture anyway :)
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
IMHO, if you have a Surf shop and do not sell SUPs, you will be outta business within a few years, unless, you can keep a core group of excellent shortboarders hanging around, and sell expensive black t-shirts with skulls/daggers to the goth skateboard crowd for their back-to school wardrobe.

Our local shops are selling both, and benefiting from each market.....it helps
put sup in the mainstream of our surf culture which is mostly kook kulture anyway :)
the part about the expensive black tshirts to the goth skters had me cracking up! :D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal