Author Topic: 11'6" Joe Blair SUP Carbon Fiber tri-sect has arrived!  (Read 10609 times)

Senor Cabo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
11'6" Joe Blair SUP Carbon Fiber tri-sect has arrived!
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:11 AM »
Fyi for you SUP travelers!!!  www.bisect.com
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:23:10 AM by Senor Cabo »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 11'6" Joe Blair SUP Carbon Fiber tri-sect has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
heheheh... and it's in my grubby little hands.
a review is in the works.

whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Senor Cabo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »
YOu are da MAN!!!!!!

senor cabo

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
nope. just a nobody from nowhere (with nothin' to lose.)

ola senor, if our paths ever cross... just may let you take it for a ride. it's that good!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:07:18 PM by shapeshifter »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
Congrats,

That building looks familiar, Irving Park area?  Next time we are in Chicago, we will have to get together for a paddle.  Do they rent SUB's at Windward Sports?
Aloha,
Chan

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
i don't think jackie has lined up the sup rentals yet chan, though we have discussed stand-ups and she 's receptive about getting them in the store. be sure to let me know when you're in town, it'll be great to plow around the chop at montrose. in fact kayak chicago would be the ones to see about a sup rental there. btw... that building in the background is on ardmore beach, i'm told that it is the one in the opening sequence of the bob newhart show. wooo! wooo! good for about 15 minutes, eh?

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »
How bout the particulars?  Dimensions, fin set up etc.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
okay put me to work, why don't ya...

standup trisect  by pope bisect
a stand-up hollowcarbon stealth

dimensions:
11'6" x 4 7/8" (at 31 lbs)
22 3/4" - 30 1/2" - 17 7/8"

fin configuration:
it comes with a 2 + 1 fin setup. center fin is their 9" hollowfoil carbon fibre fin (yater design), the side bites can be adjusted to approximately 60° of lean.

the shape:
by joe blair, is a study in subtlety, a generously rockered foil provides for chined edges around the nose where a single concave straightens out in the middle then blends to a pronounced "v" at the tail. i had a good conversation with joe about this board and others he's been shaping lately, he left no doubt that his shapes are made to ride waves.

notes:
except for the sidebites this is a tool-less assembly and breakdown. nothing more than an allen wrench is needed.
once one develops their own "system" of assembly and breakdown, they should be able to lock and load in 5 or 10 minutes max.

it's the real deal, a well thought out package. right down to the segmented bag with compartments for everything. even though it isn't exactly small when stored in the bag it sure makes transportation quite a bit more manageable.

the ride:
takes the straight course really well yet manages to turn with finesse. (bare with me here. i really still need more time on the board.)
it's a lively thing. not exactly the kind you just jump on and ride. best i can describe is that the standup trisect shows you another way of handling or yer gonna get bucked (it's still so new though i suppose i'll always learning.)

there is something else but it's tough to put it to words... oh yeah! i think i'm broke again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:03:28 PM by shapeshifter »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »
i've been putting in some time on this board everyday since i've had it and have come up with a few more observations which are particular to the pope trisect and none other that i'm aware of. the one primary difference which makes this board unique is the fact that it is hollow in construction. not only that but unlike any other hollow vessel in existence it is comprised of three sections.

let me back up a bit... after ordering the board i put in a call to joe blair and found him tired from shaping through the previous night. exhausted yet surprisingly open to conversation, he gave me a candid insight into the pros and cons of the shape he had provided. armed with that knowledge i had decided to procure some angled eva appliques to counter what seemed to be the overly crowned deck that was on what would become my sup board. this is evident in the picture of the stack of sections which clearly depicted the cross section of the pope trisect.

once i received the trisect i decided to apply some low profile strips of cork instead of the infinity traction pads i had also purchased as a temporary solution so that i could figure out the exact placement of the angled "deck straighteners". once i had a chance to put the board in the water, i realized that the assumption that this board had too much curvature across the deck, which would eventually be the cause foot fatigue, was in error. because of the board's hollow construction, the trisect's deck adjusts dynamically depending on your stance. this slight surface deflection creates a pediform which gently embraces the foot unless you are standing on or near where two of the sections meet. when standing on one of these joints the effect is a kind of traction ridge. if one stands near but on either side of these joints an angulation of the deck's surface provides for more positive footing. the pediform effect is more pronounce on the higher volume middle section than the rear and even less in the front sections. this is primarily due to the shape of those hollow structures.

i am sensing that the flex through out seems to become more consistent as the board breaks in with use. a lot of this is probably also due to the fact that i am also getting more familiar with just how to adjust the latches. i find it easier to stand side stance (as opposed to parallel) on the trisect than on the inherently more stable mistral pacifico which strikes me as odd. in all reality i really don't think too much about all these things as i ride because i really find so much pleasure in taking it through its paces.

Senor Cabo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
How is your bag holding up?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:26 AM »
heheheh... just realized something.

the bag is a sturdy as they come. padded to the hilt and stitched to last a lifetime.

really like the way it is laid out for packing and unpacking the board. what i do is turn out the corners so the bag stands ridged and the contents are exposed, then spin the mid section on it's end to receive the nose section, insert the tubular "spine" onto which i attach the nose while everything is still in the package. then i lay the bag down with the nose protruding, pull the two sections out leaving the last bulkhead of the mid section partially on the bag to keep out the sand. at this point the tail section is on the upper level of the bag's three partitions. next the tail comes out along with its tubular "spine" and then everything is assembled with the tail sitting on top of the bag now and over to one side so that the accessory compartment is accessible. last thing i do is pull out the latch covers (i only put the bottom ones on for simplicity) and the fin assemblies as well as the allen wrench for the sidebites. once everything is secured the board goes into the water. the tool goes back into it's section of the accessory compartment, then the bag is easily folded up and stays that way using the convenient strap and buckle. then it's off to stash up on the rocks and then it's off to paddle. this all occurs in the time frame of about 7 minutes. the way it all works out kind of makes me feel like felix the cat and his magic bag from those creepy cartoons of my youth.

if i were to design a package i would hope it would be something as convenient as this one. the only additions i have provided are two 28" long polystyrene (i think) pipe insulation to use as padding as the board is laid out onto different surfaces. also keep a 30 gal trash bag to stash the bag in, oh and the skateboard and 6' straps which i use to roll the whole thing on the 5 or so blocks from my house to the beach. yeah... you bet i'm lovin' all this. it's the gadgeteer's dream come true.

so are you gonna let me stay rent free at your condo?

Senor Cabo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:54:13 AM »
Just let me know when  www.walktozippers.com

Senor Cabo

::)

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »
lol! should come in handy for the next asr... (hint, hint, hint)

Senor Cabo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
 ::)That is true!!!!  Whe are you heading off to CABO?

senor Cabo

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »
Cant wait to try it .

www.legendssurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal