Author Topic: Fin suggestions for Starboard Pin?  (Read 14196 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fin suggestions for Starboard Pin?
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Recently picked up a starboard pin, and evey review i've read about the board says that the stock fin is garbage. the one i demo'd had a larger racing fin on it. some have suggested throwing on a 10 inch fin, but the stock fin is a 10 inch fin. a local shop near me has 10 & 12 inch weed fins. i know Future Fins makes a weed fin as well.  anyone have a suggestion of what fin would be a decent chouce? Will be using the board for open ocean fitness paddles/distance paddles, some out and back paddles from the shore, but mostly long paddles parallel to the shore type of stuff. thanks in advance for the advice.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fin suggestions for Starboard Pin?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
The Fin on the Demo Board is a 10" Future Weed.

www.Sup-position.com
Huntington Beach, California, USA
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
I threw on one of these today. Conditions were horrible. So choppy and windy it wasnt really even worth going out but i did anyway. It's a 10" Rainbow bamboo race fin.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
Sweet!
Enjoy the ride....

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position

WorlSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Try a Larry Allison SUP Race Keel

Check his blog:
http://standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com/

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »
I threw on one of these today. Conditions were horrible. So choppy and windy it wasnt really even worth going out but i did anyway. It's a 10" Rainbow bamboo race fin.

Just found these Chuck Patterson fins on the Rainbow fins website. I see they have a 12" one as well. Sup-position, would that work on the K-15 do you think?

http://rainbowfins.bizeconnect.com/?mainURL=/store/category/g8si/Chuck_Patterson_SUP_fins.html

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:45:38 AM »
Here's the fin on my friends Pin.. I took this pic today.

The fin on my Glide is a 10 1/2" Naish fin.. and his is about the same size.

DJ

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:50:47 AM by DavidJohn »

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
Hey Pt Woody,
Some of the K15's have a short fin box, looks like 7" is max length.
The "Newer" ones are supposed to be longer.

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
so i am not sure how the bamboo fin is for the conditions i have been in the last 2 days. conditions are: lots of wind, lots of chop, i paddle a few hundred yards out parallel to shore, so i am dealing with swells pushing in toward the beach, mostly  winds were blowing south. most of my paddling has been on one side almost 85% of the time given the current. then when i turn around i am obviously paddling almost exclusively on the other side. for conditions like this do i need a big fin like i have on the board or something smaller. curently i have the stock fin that came with the board, the 10" bamboo fun, and then a standard Fins Unlimited 7.5" center fin that i have not tried yet. any suggestions for really windy, cuhooy conditions?

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »

I have that "John Becker" Race Keel on my Expedition and like it better than the 10" Futures Weed Fin I was using. It tracks very well in flat and swell and the width helps keep the board from swinging in the cross chop.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:54:52 PM by Admin »

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
a custom Keel fin for the K15
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
... Some of the K15's have a short fin box, looks like 7" is max length.
Ralph’s right – the fin box opening on the my ’09 Starboard K15 is only 7” and won’t accommodate many fins.

“Probox” Larry Allison of Fibre Glas Fin Co. (http://standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com/) now has a version of his Keel fin with a custom base to fit the short slot.  It’s ~8.25” tall and has a total sweep of ~14”.  Compared to the narrow, vertical stock fin the Keel should help with tracking and snag less kelp – I’ll let ya know.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: a custom Keel fin for the K15
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
... Some of the K15's have a short fin box, looks like 7" is max length.
Ralph’s right – the fin box opening on the my ’09 Starboard K15 is only 7” and won’t accommodate many fins.

“Probox” Larry Allison of Fibre Glas Fin Co. (http://standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com/) now has a version of his Keel fin with a custom base to fit the short slot.  It’s ~8.25” tall and has a total sweep of ~14”.  Compared to the narrow, vertical stock fin the Keel should help with tracking and snag less kelp – I’ll let ya know.

I am interested in trying these fins but can't figure out where to buy one.  Any help appreciated.

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: a custom Keel fin for the K15
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I am interested in trying these fins but can't figure out where to buy one.  Any help appreciated.

I think Larry Allison's contact info is on the website but here's his

phone:   (310) 530-1383

and email:      Larry@ProBoxfinsystems.com   or   fibreglasfin@gmail.com

geezer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
 :)Using a 11 in Juicy Lucy fin shaped like the Naish fin , good width, fibreglass-sent to me by Joe Blair.Put it on my 14ft. carbon Hobie Hellcat & it gives me more control than the Rainbow fin which does not have as much width or curve-this Blair fin carries from the front ofthe fin box to the end of the board-so from front to back it is agood 11 in.   Geezer

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »

I have that "John Becker" Race Keel on my Expedition and like it better than the 10" Futures Weed Fin I was using. It tracks very well in flat and swell and the width helps keep the board from swinging in the cross chop.

When I picked the fin up from Larry we had a discussion on bamboo fins.  Both him and John Becker agree that bamboo makes a poor race fin.  The bamboo adds positive buoyancy inthe tail and that the weight of the fiberglass fin helps offset the buoyancy of the board.  He then added about 1/2 hour of fin discussion that I have no hope in really understanding.  He really likes to talk fins. :)  Larry is a great guy to talk to if you have any questions.  You can call the shop and he'll probably be answering.

Thanks H20man for the kind words. Wanted to say Chucks fin by Rainbow are beautiful fins and I can understand why Chuck and Rainbow use Bamboo for the ECO purpose of things. I am guilty of the same thing a few years back as you can see on my SUP Blog. But had a hard time in paddling with the Bamboo Fin not really knowing why until understanding the feeling I was having was because of the postive Buoyancy in the fin construction. Chuck is a powerful and great paddler so he may like the feel of the Bamboo. Don't want people to take my comment to H20 wrong and not negative to the Chuck Patterson Rainbow Fin. I spend alot of time with fins and manufacturing them for almost 40 years, so I want my customers and new friends to experinence fun and enjoyment in their SUP experinece like levity has. So please don't take the comment about Chucks fin bad, but just a experinece from one guy to another. JOHN BECKER has nothing to do with my comment and experience with BAMBOO. JOHN sells CHUCK'S BAMBOO RACING FINS and RAINBOW'S FINS right next to his own fins at BLUELINE in SANTA BARBARA, because we all share different experiences.  If you are feeling the same thing and my comment has helped you improve your paddling experinence then your hard earned money was well spent. In closing on the positive buoyancy factor with fins think about this. How many sail boats have a positive buoyancy keel? Don't forget you are riding a Standup Board that is up to 4.50 inches and thicker not a surfboard. Thanks again for all the positive support from everyone. Mahalo,Larry
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:50:33 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal