Author Topic: South County  (Read 6933 times)

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
South County
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
I emailed John and got a prompt response, which I thought was cool.  I am looking at getting a shorter board (isn't everyone?).  I surf on the Texas coast but live in Austin.  There is one shaper in Corpus that makes awesome surfboards for the Texas coast, but I don't think he has gotten into SUP yet.  I have a 12' and an 11' x 31" and have been surfing the Port Aransas area for about 6 months now.  For those of you that have surfed in Texas, you know that it's super choppy, sloppy and windy most of the time.  So, what I'm looking for is a shorter/wider board and South County seems to fit the bill.  So, the question is:

What board in the South County lineup would be best for a surfer in the almost intermediate skill level for these sloppy, mushy conditions? 

Thanks again.  I'm open to all suggestions.  I just want to pull the trigger sometime at the end of the summer. 

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: South County
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »
If you make it down to South Padre, I have 5 boards, ranging from 8'9" to 9'6", if you want to try some short boards out.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
What is your height and weight?  Are you going to be surfing mainly?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
I just got the South County 9'er a month ago. Awesome board...as stable as my Starboard 12-6 but rips in the waves. My biggest problem SUP surfing has always been my crappy balance while waiting for a wave. Whenever it was bumpy or choppy (we get a lot of that here in the northeast too) I used to be forced to take out my 12-6. Now the 12-6 is used only for cruising.
I can't believe how stable the 9' is and it makes even heavy whitewater simple to get over. Simply a great board. Not sure how big you are...I'm 6'4 260 lbs and it floats me easily....if you're smaller I think you could easily go for the 7'10...I've already got my sights on it for next year.
I have a quiver of 6 boards....the 9'er is going to be the go to board for almost all surfing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:20:28 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
supstoked - thanks.  i'm planning a fall trip to s. padre.  i've never surfed there.  i would appreciate that.

stoneaxe - i'm 5'8", 170lbs.  i kinda am thinkin' the same thing.  then i see the 8'6" dragon, but i'm not sure of the volume.  i have to believe that our conditions are fairly similar...no shoulder to paddle out on, waves from most every direction, waist high. 

mdsurf - i will be surfing mostly only on this board.  all types of surf i can find in texas.

i just started really exploring this option, so i'm open to all ideas.  thanks for all of the help. 

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
My son surfs the 8'6" Dragon and loves it.  He is 5'8" and 145lbs and it has plenty of float.  He does real well on it in chop.  I think you would be very happy on this.

As for the volume I would guesstimate the Dragon would hold up to 220 and surfs great.  The 9 that Stoneaxe has is thicker and would be very stable for you.  It would probably feel more stable for you than your 12' and it surfs great too. I have the 7'10" and it is very speedy on the waves but it is not as stable as the 8'6" dragon.  I say go for the Dragon.

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
PM to me if you come this way.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

beachcomber

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
I'm 190lbs, own the 10' Dragon and got to say it's one of the loosest boards I've ever surfed when our East Coast surf is small/sloppy and it feels every bit as stable as my PSH 11 WAA.
I also got a chance to try it out yesterday in some chest/shoulder high surf at Cape Hatteras, courtesy of TS Colin. Considering it's 33" width, the thing is a rocket. I couldn't be happier with the Dragon, the only downside is now I'm wondering what John's 9'er and 7'10 will surf like and will have to add at least one more South County to my quiver.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of Johns boards.

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »
I would think the 7'10" would be more stable than the 8'6" Dragon, just because of thickness...but i'm not an expert by any means.  I have nothing against the 10', except for I don't want a bigger board.  I want to drop a little more.  I'm still somewhat new, though.  I just don't want to be stuck with another big dog.  Truthfully, I'm feeling the 7'10 or 8'6...I don't know why, but the 9' hasn't even crossed my mind.  Thanks again for the help.  I'm going to get another session or 2 in with my boards before the end of the summer, so hopefully that will help me out, too.  Thanks again.

SoCo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »
Hi dannyo,

At your weight you would have no problems with any of those boards.

The 8'6 B.Dragon max rider weight is around 220, mdsurf hit it right on with that guess. It is really quick once on a wave, you've got to drop in a little later than you're used to though with your big boards. It paddles surprisingly nice for it's size so even long distance paddles are no problem.

The 7'10 is the little corvette of the group...one guy saw it and said "That looks like a wake board on steriods!" The hard rails make this board just too much fun...planes super quick and very sensitive, one twitch and your off in another direction.  It takes time to get used to the late suicide drops but the fun is worth it.

The 9'er is the most stable of the short sups, smooths out choppy seas really well. I'm 180 and I love surfing it too, glides nice and catches waves almost as early as the 10~12 footers. Sits really nice in the water and I can't even get to surf it...we are always fighting over the one demo board we have :)

John
www.southcountysurf.com

dannyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
John, it's such a quandry I find myself in, huh?  Do you sell any of the demo boards?  I just wish I could paddle one of these.  Hearing from guys like Stoneaxe and Mdsurf makes the leap of faith a little easier.  I am about 100% I want a wide board, just not sure of the length. 

I'll email you this coming week to discuss some things.  Thanks.

SoCo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
No prob, dannyo.....take your time on deciding. I've sold off most of the old demo boards.

John
www.southcountysurf.com

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal