Author Topic: Question about Oxbow 11'6"--weird, alarming hull depressions on bottom  (Read 2710 times)

ADKstrider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My relatively new, purchased this spring and put to use in July on a New England freshwater lake, Oxbow 11-6 has an alarming tendency to collect subtle concavities on its bottom.  Noticeable from certain angles , the inconsistencies are slight depressions.  A not-too-hard prod with my thumb makes a new, smooth quarter-sized dish.  Does anyone else have experience with this?  The depressions aren't big or deep enough to influence performance, but what will the cumulative effects of inevitable bumps be?  Thanks!!

DJD1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Oxbow 11'6"--weird, alarming hull depressions on bottom
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
Yeah my wifes Oxbow 10'6 has the same thing. The construction isn't great on them IMO but she loves the design rocker, v & rails etc make it a better and faster board than her Starboard 9'8 element IHO  :)

We got it for half the price of the starboard too so not too worried that the construction isn't as good as the SB

ADKstrider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »
Thanks for touching base...I too have been pleased with the shape and handling characteristics--I hope it'll bear up o.k. in Jersey Shore surf. 

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
I've seen the same thing in my brother's Pearson-Arrow Laird. Didn't give us a warm fuzzy that the board would be very sturdy.
--
Bill

NLCHAWAII

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
sounds like pressure dings to me . All lightly glassed polyester resin surfboards are very susceptible to this and my 11'6" Island Creations sup board has them all over the bottom from just paddling on flat water .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal