Author Topic: Anyone hear about a new Amundson 12' 6" flatwater board?  (Read 11197 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone hear about a new Amundson 12' 6" flatwater board?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
This is the specifics of the board.

Features
Displacement bow cuts through chop and is efficient downwind.
29.5" width with boxy rails for maximum stabiility
AST construction weighs 32.5 pounds
Carbon construction weights 28 pounds. (available Nov 2010)
Integrated handle makes carrying a cinch
Insert to attach water bottle or windsurf rig.

dstgean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
I know it's an oldie, but I'm thinking of picking up a 12'6" TR for flatwater paddling at our lake house and in Sanibel.  Demoed one and liked most of what I saw except the swept back weedless fin.  I felt with a regular fin I'd have a bit stronger tracking, but It's probably just me.  Anyhow, just sharing some stoke and seeing if anyone else has had any experience with the board.  Great price point for what you get as far as I can tell.

Dan

Microbrewer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
I bought on 4 months ago at urban surf in Seattle.  I like it allot.  Stable and feels like it cuts through the chop well.  I switched to the Larry Allison Eric terrain fin and it tracks much better for me.  I have not had it in big winds but in 20 knot breeze it handles well.

cariboomike

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »
I got bitten by the SUP bug last summer and now I want to introduce others to this fantastic sport here in Central BC.  The first board I bought was a used rental Amundson 11' 6".   I had tried out about three other boards in Vancouver, but the Amundson felt great and even though it was a rental the board looked like new.  I spent August-November paddling 4-5 times per week on my local lake and hitting the rails alot with my paddle.  It left quite a few black marks on the rails, but no real damage.  I've also made a few 8 hour drives through the snow, slush and muck to Vancouver and back with the Amundson on my roof rack (no board bag).  The white and blue board was getting pretty dirty looking so just today I took it outside and washed it off with soap and water.  I also took some steel wool to see what it would do to the black marks on the rails.  Well the board looks fantastic again - almost like new and the black marks from the paddle hitting the rails are all gone.  I'm impressed by the durability of this Amundson board and its quality construction.

No one else here in Quesnel SUPs so I've decided to start a (very) small business to rent and sell boards and to offer lessons.  I've opted to go primarily with the Amundson 12' 6".  I like the price, I like the quality, I like the stability and I like the shape.  I briefly demoed the Amundson 12' 6" on Okanagan Lake a few weeks ago and immediately appreciated its stability and speed (the greater length and displacement bow do make a difference).   Stability is important because folks will be learning on these boards, plus the lakes here are often cold, weedy and full of duck itch, so you generally don't want to fall in.   However, glide and speed are also important because a lot of the folks I know appreciate efficiency in movement and the ability to cover distance when touring.  I've also ordered a 14' Bark Surftech Dominator for some racing I want to do, but for all-purpose, flat water use up here I think the Amundson 12' 6" might be just the thing.   

dstgean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:40 AM »
That's what I was feeling as well.  I grew up surfing in Encinitas, CA but now live in Chicago.  I go up to my in law's cabin in Northern WI for a few weeks on the lake in the summer and head down to Sanibel, their home for Christmas and spring break.  Both venues are primarily flatwater and I thought it fit well.  Thanks for the info.

Dan

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 27, 2024, 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]