Author Topic: Windsurfing and Kiting Legislation  (Read 4327 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Windsurfing and Kiting Legislation
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:09:33 AM »
This may seem off topic, but it does not take a huge leap of imagination to see why it may not be at some point.

I am sure we have users here who will fall on both sides of this issue, so I present it for your information only. 

"The legislature finds that surfers and swimmers using Hawaii's oceans for recreation face a danger from
operators of sailboards and kiteboards."

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/Bills/SB2091_.pdf

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/hearingnotices/WTL_02-15-08_.htm

hilton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Windsurfing and Kiting Legislation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:51:57 PM »
Whatever happened to the Aloha spirit?

It seems like the Maui lawmakers are trying to chase away all of the windsurfing tourists.

First the crackdown on North Shore vacation rentals, then the "arrests" at Hookipa, now this.

I can understand the frustration from the increased traffic, outrageous real estate/rental prices, etc.  but tourism is the #1 industry in Hawaii.  I am already reading on various message boards about longtime Maui visitors finding new spots to visit since they no longer feel welcome in Hawaii.  It's only a matter of time before the tourism revenues start to dry up and attitudes will have to shift back the other way.

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »
Could not agree more but that is just sort of the cycle that Hawaii seems to go through.  The mood seems a little more serious than in the past and  this is not the only crappy piece of legislation being looked at!  Sent my testimony in and hope others did as well - I'm not a big fan of discrimination!

Of course not to worry.  I happened to find my "Thumbs Up Hawaii" posters and we will all be back out waving like a bunch of perverted politicians any day now!  Now if you remember these you are on the path to becoming local  ;D  Course there were a lot of people who confused Hawaii with a certain planet and kept saying Thumbs Up Uranus . . .  ::)

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »
All I have to say is
WTF

The basic bumper sticker sums it all up IMO.

"Welcome to Maui-Now go home" ???

If we all went home or other places instead they would be begging for us to come back so they could eat, drink and be merry too... ;D
Aloha 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »
Seems a bit extreme for sure but at the same time I can empathize. I live in an area that every summer gets overcrowded with tourists. Even the folks that rely on tourism for their living are getting tired of them by the end of the summer. A blessing and a curse....I can't imagine how it must feel to have them 12 months of the year. What bothers me about Hawaii is the racism and bigotry displayed by a vocal minority. You can definitely feel the bad vibe sometime. I don't tend to get comments given my size but I know folks that have.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Holy crap.  Wow.  Looks like the politicians are not finding better things to try to fix.  Before you know it.  They might even try to pass a bill like the one they have in SoCal about SUPers not being able to surf in certain spots because we use a paddle.  No can dat kine. ???

Byronmaui

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
I think that bill has been benched right now.
On a different front Maui County is working on an ordinance about surf lessons and the amount of instructors that can represent a school at certain beaches and the amount of permits issued. I am in favor of this to somepart because I have been out and had instructors doing lessons at beaches that don't allow it. Seems like everyone is opening a school here on Maui to teach surfing.

Aloha

Byron

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard