Author Topic: Air Vents EPS Custom Boards (PSH) - Any thoughts  (Read 11386 times)

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Air Vents EPS Custom Boards (PSH) - Any thoughts
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »
SVF was real heavy foam but waterproof.  No vent and no ding worries.   There's lighter extruded foams around and they are also waterproof.  Gary Young uses it(pink foam)in his bamboo veneer boards.  The sandwich EPS sailboards still tend to crack at the rail as that's where most of the stiffness, strength and load is.  A stronger core will help bear the loads and have a different feel.  This is especially noticed in a sailboard.   The current industry standard sailboard construction might be light and strong but IMO they ride like a bouncy hollow drum because the core is so weak and the rails are really stiff.  It's something most have gotten used to after all these years because the initial reduced weight feeling was so dominating.                       

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
You have to remember that sailboards are working with different design issues, must be as light as possible and must be as strong as possible. Everyone wants to go fast and jump high. People learnt to jump high before they learnt to not land flat.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:09:33 PM »
Any word on the Goretex air vents--they seem like a simple solution.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »
I've left my Angulo and Foote molded boards on my truck for 9 hours in the blazing Hawaiian sun on several occasions with no problems whatsoever.

I've also left my hand glassed PSH boards up there as well. Again, no problem. I don't think vents are needed.

Is anyone reporting problems except Infinity?

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
Im telling you, its the glassers in SoCal. They are still suck in a poly mentality. Epoxy is a completely different animal and needs to be approached, handled and worked completely differnet

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »
A newer 1 lb density molded sandwiched board without any water intrusion should be fine unless it gets over around 160 degrees.  Then the EPS will melt.  Water intrusion is the thing to watch out for with 1lb EPS and as boards get older and used alot there's more wear and tear.  It's a good good idea to check the board from time to time for possible leaks.  There's a reason why used windsurf boards are so cheap.  The bottoms also get softer and bouncier as the core gets all fractured up from the jumps.  They still work as long as long as it's in one piece or doesn't have a big delam bubble on the bottom.  A light colored board won't get too hot in the sun, but it could get much hotter inside a boardbag.       

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
Allan, "Way, I know that Dude"
 We are glassing Epoxies now and have not needed vent plugs.  We are using White Hot Foam (thanks Blane for the recommendation) and 1.5 foam we have glassed using 6oz glass as well as Volan and things are holding up quite well. Contact Alan Beels at 619 990-5432 in Sorrento Valley Also check my website under repairs.  We had one pre-vent Infinity blow-up, but the owner greatly abused that board.
BOB
www.missionsurf.com

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »
I had a Walden with a vent delam on me, then a Channel Islands with no vent delam on me.  I think it's all in the glassing. 
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

kauai50

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
just wondered if this information has changed much since jan 2008

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
Speaking from a backyard shaper, not a China Board Manufacturer, 1.0 lb EPS, typically the lightest of the densities, is lightest due to the air spaces between the beads.  Even the "quality" foam has enough pukas that if it's not sealed with a spackle or epoxy/micro ballon mix, you'll get a dry laminate when you glass it.  It gets dry due to the fact that the open bead spaces suck up resin, so what happens is you need additional resin during the glassing process to counter this to prevent a dry lam.  Problem is, it adds weight and defeats the purpose of using 1 lb EPS.  If you spackle or miroballon, you fill the open voids and add little weight.  If your vacuuming, the dry lam issue is even more exasperated if you don't spackle.  Some claim the bond is jeopardized when you spackle with the epoxy systems, but it's worked for us. 

With the 1.5 lb EPS and up, you can get by without spackle.   At least this is the way I'm doing it, and most of the guys on Swaylocks.  The Chinese might be doing it different.

As far as the vents, here in Texas we're venting the 1 lb EPS boards because the air can definitely move throught the blank because of the open bead structure, I'm not so sure the air moves as well through the higher densities to warrant vents.

My buddy's been using the gortex vents and after 18 months everything looks good.  I'm getting ready to build a 14' race board with 1 lb EPS and it will be spackled and it will have vents.

Mahalo,

David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal