Author Topic: Sit Down Pedal Boarding?  (Read 8567 times)

Vik

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sit Down Pedal Boarding?
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »

It was super hot today here in Victoria BC so I loaded up my Surly Big Dummy cargo bike and tried sit down pedal boarding...rode down to the water and SUP'd it up for the first time since I moved here.  Good times... ;D

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sup%20cargo&w=9932605%40N08

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Sit Down Pedal Boarding?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Nice- I use The Mule-attach it to the seatpost-makes for wider turns but not so succeptible to wind.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Vik

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:07:55 AM »
Nice- I use The Mule-attach it to the seatpost-makes for wider turns but not so succeptible to wind.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
Vik- trying to figure out how to post a picture-im a little stupid at this stuff-if all else fails go to Muletransportsystems. com
Nice little website and some good pics to give you an idea, i can fit my SUP and my wifes on it.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Looks like you have settled in, in Victoria. 
Have fun! 

Warren
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Vik

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »

This time two 11' SUPs and paddles...but I have to say that's almost too much.  I will probably bike with 1 SUP when I am solo and drive with 2 SUPs....I'll look into the SUP carts and see if I want to invest the $$.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
I use a homeade mule type attachment.  Mine is a $29 dolly at the back and a heavy duty bag at the front with cam buckle straps to hold it nose to tail.  Works well but I need to work on the seat attachment a bit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »
I just bought a serious Cattrike. I'm going to build a very high tech surfboard rack for it--all carbon fiber. I've worked out the design, now I just need about 50+ hours to build it. I may switch to aluminum--so much easier. I'd just fire up the spool gun and have at it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »
I just bought a serious Cattrike. I'm going to build a very high tech surfboard rack for it--all carbon fiber. I've worked out the design, now I just need about 50+ hours to build it. I may switch to aluminum--so much easier. I'd just fire up the spool gun and have at it.

Hi Bill, will you go for an overhead rack? I think that would work really well. I've been thinking about a trike with two of the electric bicycle hub motors up front, batteries low down maybe behind the seat. Serious distance covering ability! Show us a pic of your new toy.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »
I can just imagine Bill whizzing along on one of these with an 18' DW board strapped on above him..  ;D

DJ

The Catrike 700 - The Fastest Recumbent Trike In The World!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:51:11 AM »
That's the guy, only I opted for a two speed overdrive internally geared front hub and a seven speed internal rear hub instead of derailleur stuff. Sucker is very fast, I had it up to 48 yesterday on a gentle downhill. Too fast considering that it has a lot of brake steering. I need to work on that. Also very maneuverable.

I'm not using hub motors, I'm going to add a mid-chain drive, a 1000 watt motor and a couple of LiFe batteries. That way the motor can use the gearing.  I'm hoping it won't be completely uncontrollable with an 18 foot board on top--we'll see. I might need to set up autodial for the ambulance on my cell phone.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:21 AM »
I can't wait to see this.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Vik

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »

Hi Bill, will you go for an overhead rack? I think that would work really well. I've been thinking about a trike with two of the electric bicycle hub motors up front, batteries low down maybe behind the seat. Serious distance covering ability! Show us a pic of your new toy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
Wow, someone beat me to it. They might actually be crazier than me. I love it.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »
welcome to the club ponobill... picked up my rig back in april and it's practically replaced my car! recumbent tricycles are definitely the way to go. this oe suv/pedicab isn't anywhere near as fast as your rig but this "landslide" goes off-roading with ease! designed to bring along a few friends it would still have room for all the drinkables, grill, charcoal and edibles.

surprising how unforgiving the hammock mesh seats can be so the latest customization are some d3o panels for shock value. oh yeah! the best part about "flyin'" this vehicle is that you just lean to steer...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:18:21 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal