Author Topic: Board advice Naish Mana  (Read 11888 times)

Gustav

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Board advice Naish Mana
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
Hi all,

I´m currently riding a SOS Big Red board. I use it mostly in flatwater and a little bit for riding small powerless waves in Sweden.  I weigh about 210.  I´m planning to buy a smaller board for my girlfriend that is manageable for her and at the same time fun for me. Is the Naish Mana 9,5 a good choice? I´ve read so much good reviews about the Mana. Her weight is about 145 (i think;)... She will use it in flatwater and i will only use it for riding small waves. I´m in pretty good shape and have pretty good balance i think.

My biggest concern is the stability for me in windy, onshore, mushy, crappy wave conditions. Will i stay on the board?

I also must ad that I´ve been reading topics on this forum like a madman! Thanks for all the great advice and inspiration!!!!!

best regards
Gustav
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:44:50 AM by Gustav »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board advice Naish Mana
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:55 AM »
Welcome Gustav.. I think the 9'5" Mana would be a great choice.

I'm about 200 lbs and don't have any problem on the 9'5".

Here's a pic of my friend Rea on hers.. I'm guessing that she's about the same weight as your GF.

DJ

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »

yup, this board will easily float you, and it is incredible stable. I don't think you'll much much problem. If you can test one do so if not I still think it is a good choice.

The board paddles easily, and my wife, whom I initially bought the board for, loves it too...

Persoannly I have not ridden it in onshore conditions, but I have had it out in pretty bumpy and windy conditions. My take is that is paddles easily, it is super stable, but still is agile in up to overhead waves..from ankle snappers. I dunno how big it can go tho...but that is usually not an issue in onshore conditions...

Anyhow, super fun board...oh and I am about 195lb :-)

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
Hi guys:

Do you have any opinions on just crusing around with the 9'-5" Mana.  I too am interesting in getting one.

Thnaks, RC

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
Hi guys:

Do you have any opinions on just crusing around with the 9'-5" Mana.  I too am interesting in getting one.

Thnaks, RC

that is what my wife use it for. Pull the back fin as far back as you can and the board paddles nice. It will not win any speed competitions, but it is easy and stable to paddle.

Gustav

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:17 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies! Hopefully I get the oppurtunity to test some Naish boards in the weekend.

Thanks again,
Gustav

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Naish Mana -- 35 lbs???
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
my buddy just got a 9-5 Mana and today we weighed it.  the sucker came in at 35 lbs.  could it be that heavy or is it taking in water somewhere?

my 10-5 starboard drive, by contrast, weighs 26.5 lbs.

if the 9-5 is 35, i can't imagine what the 10' would be.  oooooffff!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Naish Mana -- 35 lbs???
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »
my buddy just got a 9-5 Mana and today we weighed it.  the sucker came in at 35 lbs.  could it be that heavy or is it taking in water somewhere?

my 10-5 starboard drive, by contrast, weighs 26.5 lbs.

if the 9-5 is 35, i can't imagine what the 10' would be.  oooooffff!

Mine is lighter than my sub vector. I weighed my sub vector at 25 lbs. So mine is probably 23 or 24 lbs. I have felt one real heavy 9'5 Mana. It was a demo owned by the rep. It was also very tail heavy when held by the handle. Tail dragging on the ground heavy. Mine is perfectly balanced from the handle.

Maybe water, or maybe a blem in manufacturing. I noticed some of the windsurf companies publish weight tolerances with their published weight. 2 lb tolerance on my JP Australia windsurfer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:52:17 AM by DW »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:13:15 AM »
thanks, dw.

it is a leak in the handle.  we left the board face up in the sun and the slot filled up with water.  you could push down on the deck around it and bubbles floated up.  looks like the plastic insert might be cracked, and now there's like 10 lbs of water in the board.  sheesh.

the seller is contacting naish about getting the board replaced.  i certainly hope naish does the right thing.  the board has only been in the water 5 times.  we shall see.

Keau

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
I'm sure Naish will do the right thing.  Keep us posted.   

D.Kirche

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
Hi Gustav!

I am on board with this thread. The 9'5 is one of the most versatile boards out there, she will love it!

D.Kirche

Shano

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
Hi Gustav!

I am on board with this thread. The 9'5 is one of the most versatile boards out there, she will love it!

D.Kirche

I'll second that !

I got one after coming of a PSH 11WAA and had no trouble with stability. I'm 90 kgs and it surfs really good. Much better than I expected for such a wide board. Put the fin right back in the box and it paddles OK in flat water. My wife sometimes comes with me but I paddle the Mana and she on the PSH. That way we are a similar speed.

You won't regfret it.

Shane

adso

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »
What do you guys think about this board for a beginner 5'10 170lbs? I've been out a few times on rentals but nothing I fell in love with. Enough to know I want to get into the sport without a doubt though.

I've been looking at boards (10-11'6 30in+) that seem to be more of a compromise. I can see why everyone says that you eventually end up with multiple boards for different conditions and purposes so I was thinking maybe the 9'5 mana might suit me well as both a beginner board and one that is more surf oriented that still paddles fairly well.

I'm on the east coast living near DC and would be using it out of Assateague/Ocean Island, VA Beach, OBX, etc., as well as some fitness paddling on the Cheasapeake (though that is probably more an activity for another board).

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »
What do you guys think about this board for a beginner 5'10 170lbs? .

What do you guys think?

It's an ideal board.

There is a weekend warrior who surfs with me sometimes and he learned on this board. He was catching some nice rides in the hurricane swell two weeks ago with only a few days experience.

The Mana series is purposely designed to make newbies rip without drama.

Those LONG SUPs we used to learn on, are so dead for east coast conditions in my opinion. I feel bad when I see a newbie get suckered into one of those monster long SUPs by surf shops that aren't serious about their SUP lineup.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:01:20 AM by DW »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
adso the 9'5 mana would be fine for all those things even the flat water paddling. also look at starboard line anything 9'0 or 9'5 ish would be pretty good. dc is right dont think u need to go huge to have all around fun i do a 2 mile paddle here by me al the time and i used to do it on my 10'6 and it tok my 21 minutes on my 8'5 it only takes me 25 mins. not a big loss and the gain in ripping waves is so great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal