Author Topic: A 10'6" racer. Why not?  (Read 3839 times)

caRRera

A 10'6" racer. Why not?
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »
I'm more and more on the racing/cruising aspect of SUPing, specially during summer where here in the mediterranean the waves are far from frequent. At the moment I'm training and cruising with my lovely Starboard Drive 10'5" (an incredible overall board).

But as I recevied my PSH 9'6" for SUP surfing, I was considering to buy a 12'6" racer, but the problem me, and most europeans face is the lack of space to "park" such a big board, so the only real option is to buy the board, and leave it at a beach club, and drive there everytime you want to train, cruise or race.

But, why not using smaller boards?. Why not racing with under 12'6" boards?. Yes, they will be slower, and more technical, but why not?.

And at the same time I found the new 404 10'6" Monster Race board. What a beauty. I can store it on my garage, the transport is much easier, it gives me more flexibility, and it's beatiful, apart from a nice name.

Why not racing with this board?. What do you think on that?.

I'd love to test it, because I think it could be the future, at least in Europe.

And what if overall it surf, let's say at least decently?

My full post here: http://www.carlescarrera.com/2010/06/106-race-are-you-sure.html

caRRera

Re: A 10'6" racer. Why not?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »
I'm interested in your opinions.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »
Waterline, more of it = faster board. 

The 404 would be a good trainer.   
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
It's also about getting the power down and for some reason it seems harder to stay in the parallel stance and paddle hard on a shorter board.. Maybe it's the forward back movement that you get with each stroke.. and also because when going shorter you often have to go wider (and more curve in the rail shape) and that usually means more yawing.. A 10'6" racer might work ok for a light person but because I'm pretty heavy I wouldn't like it.

DJ

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
This 10'6" racer is 31 inched wide and 5 inches thick. It is what Danny Ching uses for his daily trainer. Easier to get around and train on. It should be able to handle a rider up to 220 easy. As for racing I think some one in the 150 to 170 lb weight would fly on this. You can also enter a race in the 12 foot and under , stock class and probably paddle the shizzle out of it. If it's a surf race your in , It would perform amazing I'm sure.  Turning around the race buoys would be a breaze. I think this board is a great Idea and I will be demoing one as soon as I can get my hands on one. You guys gotta be thinking out of the box obviously Danny Ching is.

Go for it CaRRera. If your a lighter person I think this would be a great option especially for the reasons you stated !!!!

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/products/404-10_6_large.jpg
Aloha

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
Is this the same board?.. If so it looks pretty good.

DJ

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
I believe so .  Click on this link to see pics of the 10'6" racer

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »
I believe so .  Click on this link to see pics of the 10'6" racer

bro that SUB would be nice for our Kailua paddle days. Train on technique plus surf not to mention it beats handling the 17' all the time. Oh yeah price looks sweet to. If this thing has a five fin option I like one.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 12:49:51 AM »
That is exactly what I was thinking. we could even use it to train on the beach by my house. At 10'6" I could throw it in the back of my truck and run down to Ala Moana for a training session. I am trying to find out if there will be demos here in the Islands soon.

caRRera

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:43:17 AM »
Thanks alot for the answers.

At first I thought I was the only one thinking it's a great concept of a board. Over here I only found regrets about it.

But as I always learned, when you want to innovate: "ask for feedback as much as possible ... then do just the OPPOSITE the most people advised"

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
If space is the issue I would be more inclined to go with an inflatable board. I believe Uli makes a 14 foot one.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »
The Uli is a great suggestion for cruising / training , but I don't know if I'd want to race that ??? From the looks of the 404 10'6" racer you'd be pretty competitive if you are a strong paddler and on the light side. Here in Hawaii they have in some races a stock 12 foot and under, most people use their surf boards in this class but this 10'6" racer would fall in the range of under 12 feet and It would blow away most surfboards. I think it has potential. Not sure what kind of class specifications they have in European races but if they have a 12 foot and under stock class this is definitely the board to be racing in that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal