Author Topic: Starboard Hero vs Element for mushy waves  (Read 9255 times)

steph

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Hero vs Element for mushy waves
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi Guys,

I live in Barcelona, Spain and I'm looking for a good SUP for mushy mediterranean waves; I am a complete beginner but I live right by the sea, so spending a lot of time in the water is no problem for me.

I am shopping for a SUP and the Starboard lineup has retained my attention. I am particularly interested in the 9'x33" Hero and the 9'8"x30" Element. I can't buy too big a board for storage reasons, and the Element would be as large as I can afford.

Now, I have read a lot on the two boards and have a reasonable understanding of what the differences are in terms of speed, drive, stability, yaw, etc. What I am not sure of is the wave catching abilities in terms of catching small and mushy waves. Our area has lots of those and I'd like to take advantage of these conditions as much as possible. So, is the Hero so slow that it won't start easily with small gutless waves or, on the contrary, is it a good pick for these kinds of slow waves - being a slow buyant board? I have no special opinion on drive versus looseness of the board. Yaw, I can learn to deal with. Stability is  must, but it looks like both boards are recommended for a light beginner, with an advantage to the Hero in that category.

My area is surfer free, so I would have most of the beach to myself; therefore, no competition for the peak, I won't bother anyone trying to catch waves and falling off its "face".

Ah, I almost forget: I weight in at 155lbs (70kg)

So, really, my main objective is to catch lots of small mushy waves (50cm to 1m high). I'll worry about the Ohau North Shore type waves a little later...

Anyway, all your feedbacks are welcome!

Cheers,
Steph

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Hero vs Element for mushy waves
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »
I would recommend the 9'8" Element because at your weight you don't need 33" wide.

I have a few friends with the  Element and they love it.. It's a great board.

DJ

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
I have tried both  and honestly either one is a good choice, you can't go wrong.
As a beginner in choppy conditions you might like the extra width of the Hero.

You might also check out the Converse 9' x 30"    .   8" shorter than the Element and not as wide as the Hero.  I have not surfed it yet, but knowing how well the Hero surfs, the Converse can only be better.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
I am a beginner surfer and have a hero and just love it.  I just started SUPing this year and spend a lot of miles on a flatwater board.  Got the hero to try surfing mushy waves.  I am 5'7" 110lbs and the hero is great.  Really feels like a playground out in the waves.  Pretty easy to get out thru the waves standing up on it.  Sometimes I just have fun paddling up over the face of a breaking wave. 
Cheers, Jill

steph

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
Thanks guys. Now, let's see what the dealer has in shop!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
Hi Steph,
In your case, I'd go with DJ's recommendation of the 9'8" Element...it will have more glide than the Hero...and, if you get a chance to catch a wave it will allow you to nose ride...on flat days it will also be more versatile...float and stability on either board is not an issue...

Maybe these pics of both boards will help...good luck with your decision...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

steph

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »
Great! I think I made up my mind and will go for the Element. My shop seems to have one which will make it even easier. Thanks for the advise

Steph

Squiby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
I think you're making the right choice, at least when choosing between those 2 boards. I have not been on either but looking at the numbers, the narrower and longer 9'8 should have better glide. That will make it easier to catch weaker waves. And for your size, it should be stable enough.

Definitely try the board in flat water for your 1st time if you can. Your balance will progress quickly.

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
Steph,
I have the Element, and love it.  There are no negatives, it's just a great all around board.  I weigh the same as you.  It will be more fun than the Hero if you are just out doing a distance paddle when there are no waves.  Terry

WorlSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 03:15:58 AM »
Hey Steph,
I also have an Element & love it, haven't tried the Hero but as DJ said above I don't think you'll need the extra width of the Hero.  The Element will glide better & should be a more versatile all round board.  It actually surf's really well for the size of it, play around with your fin setup as this will have a big impact on it's drive or how loose you want it.  Once you're used to it, swap out the sides with some better stiffer ones, Ditch the big centre fin that comes with it & go smaller.  At your weight try some FCS M5 or H2 (Medium's) on the sides with a 4.5" centre (try the futures centre) or get a FCS fin box adapter (although you do get some play with this).
Enjoy & report back on how you go.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »
I did have a Element, great board.
I,m almost 90kg and it worked in anklehigh as well overhead from glassy till choppy, and still to do some cruising.
The standardfinns are crap, especially the frontones you should tjrow away and replace by FCS M5,s
With a set of thise..awesome allround board!

steph

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 01:50:18 AM »
Thanks a lot guys for the great advise. I'm going to do some "shopping" this afternoon!

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »
You may want to look at the Drops line. They are designed for mediteranean waves (in Corsica), and are superb in slow waves like we have here. The 9'2 Volt (Noseriding) or the 8'11" Vulcan (Fast "fish") http://www.gongsup.com/-Drops-Moulded-SUP-.html (The 9'1" will be a bit tricky as a first board)
are great boards you can begin with at your weight. At 100kg I began with the Vulcan, but I had surfing experience.
They are also superbly built, very light (they are actually lighter than listed on the web site) and strong, they are not asian pop-outs.

For dealers look at http://www.drops.net/world_dealer.html there are many shops in spain.

For technical info, look at the shaper site: http://www.gongsup.com/
and forum http://www.gongsup.com/forum/

steph

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
Salut Colas,

Thanks for the advice. I actually saw a Vulcan at the shop I went to this weekend and was wondering if it wouldn't be too small to start with. It looks like a great board but I already ordered the Element. I also had a look at the Gong Androgene but I was too impatient to wait, so went for the Starboard. I did order the paddle from l'Ours though.

Cheers
Steph

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »
Dont worry, the element is also a good choice, very polyvalent, and as it is well known it has a very good resell value.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal