Author Topic: Product reviews - Zone style  (Read 17121 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Product reviews - Zone style
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Hi all,

We believe that as it matures, our user review page(s) will become one of the more useful resources available to the stand up community.  Please help us in advancing this feature by posting a review (or more, if you are so inclined).  Better features will lead to a larger community.  That in turn will lead to more input into all of our posts, better answers to questions, etc. 

Enough begging...

The list has been moved to a more accessable fixed location.  If you look up, you will notice that it (and the manufacturer list) are now available on every page.

To have your review added, please respond to this post with your contributions.  Please list the product name and model, your height, weight and one of the following: New Paddler, Infrequent Paddler, Frequent Paddler.  Let us know your comments on the product.  If you are the first to post on a given model, the product page will be created (we will do this manually for now, so allow some time for this to occur).  If the product page already exists, your review will be placed above the previous review.  As always, your comments and participation are greatly appreciated.  The list will be updated as new reviews arrive. 

Thanks,
Admin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:20:15 PM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Product reviews - Zone style
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »
Coming from a kitesurfing background, one thing I have learned reading reviews and doing reviews myself, is that knowing what other kites a reviewer has used, or is using, is key to interpretation of that persons opinion.  After all, there is no right or wrong review, it is just one persons opinion based on their experience. No need to flame reviewers. It is better to just know where they are coming from.

I'll start with my review of the Jimmy Lewis 11 footer.

6'2 200 lbs

Paddling 3 months.

Owned Laird, have ridden JL 11'7, Custom EVO, and Mistral Pacifico.

Paddling in the ocean several times a week.

Things I like about the JL 11 footer:

1) Light weight. The lightest board I've tried. A pleasure to carry this one to the beach.

2) Turning. It surfs great for me. I use a 9.5" fin. Never tried the stock 13.5". It looked too scary to even try that fin.
I read somewhere on the web, Jimmy likes that 13.5" fin because he is into nose riding.

3) Glide, the glide is short, but probably due to a lack of weight. Acceleration feels quick though. Heavier boards I've paddled glide, but are slower to get moving. The wife smokes me in an upwind race on her JL 11 footer. I sink too much for great glide.

Things I don't like:

1) When doing off shore paddling and catching large off shore swell, the sexy nose rider style nose is not so great. I can be cruising on a nice swell and that low nose will catch some chop and kill my ride. In these conditions, a windsurfer style nose would be better.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:02:18 AM by DW »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
Thanks DW,

Added.

Very useful info!

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
I have added 2 new board reviews. 

We would encourage you to add your own experiences with a given model even if a similar opinion has already been stated.  In that way a new user might be able to make a better judgement on the appropriateness of that item for their own needs.  Needless to say, if you have an alternate opinion, we are all ears.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this new and evolving feature.

Randy

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
9'6" Paddle Surf Hawaii - custom, Blane Chambers shape

9'-6" x 27" wide x 4-1/8" thick approx 18 lbs

Floaty, light, ultra responsive. Works great for me in pretty much all conditions including downwinders. I'm pretty lightweight though - 125lbs.  Love it being sooo light and easy to carry. Did take a little getting used to how quickly it responds and had to relearn setting up for waves.. Basically just spin right in the pocket and take 1 or 2 strokes...  I ordered directly from Blane on Ohau and got within 5 weeks. Love this board.

Have picture... am sending to Admin to upload since I dont have time to figure out.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Have picture... am sending to Admin to upload since I dont have time to figure out.

Perfect, for others, if you are reviewing a custom product, please email a photo.  For production products we will find a suitable photo online.

No worries, let us know about that Munoz as well!

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
11ft beat up softtop .. dims are about 11ft x 26 x 3 3/4 (maybe a little thicker)

Bought this board from a surf school here on Oahu on the cheap, well used and looks every bit of it. At first I was worried it wouldn't float me but at 5'11 and 165lbs it was just fine.

As a beginner paddler, it took a session to get used to the narrow width, in SUP standards, especially in some trade wind chop.

I have used this strictly as a cruiser since the North Shore has been flat. I have my doubts as to the performance of this board in any type of surf due to the state it is in. But as an introduction to the SUP world this has been great. It was cheaper than my paddle, has given me some great workouts and improved my balance.

As I have progressed I see the need for the more progressive SUP boards. For me personally that will be a cruiser that can handle some surf. Maybe in the 10' x 28 x 4 range.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »
12ft super beat up Munoz softop....  12ftx26" x4" I think...

Frequent paddler, 5'7", 125lbs

First SUP I got and I bought it from Kimo at Royal Lahaina Surf.... paid $350 for it I think. Back couple years ago when you couldnt find any boards anywhere. Rode it for about 8 months and think it was the absolute perfect 1st board for me...  So ugly no one would steal it if I left it on the roof all day and who cared if ya wacked it with the paddle. I really had fun on this board. Once I tried getting into the surf though, it was time to move on... Fins would hum, board would vibrate and man its scary dropping in on this beast. Especially with my size.. Have to get all the way back on the tail and crank.  I still have this board and although its not as stable as the wider boards, I think its the perfect board for your buddies who want to try to use...  Now there are so many choices that I think people tend to get caught up on trying to get the perfect board and dont get in the water.

Tanks Kimo

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »
12ft Surftech Munoz epoxy  12'x26"

2nd board owned. Actually really liked this board especially after the Softtop. Still too big for me in surf of larger size. I have a friend who has been riding same model for over a year and he rips on it. Little narrow for most guys of any size but definately works and is super tough and light.  Works ok for cruising and downwinders.  Rode it for about a year until I got the custom 9'6".  Still have it and will keep for spare/buddy board along with Softie.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 04:57:20 AM »
Terrific guys!  Keep 'em coming.

Of note, I changed the dimensions only to match the manufacturer specs.  Also to Emissions, I listed you as Beginner (advancing) based on your comments.  If that is not correct, please let me know and I will happily update the review.  Additionally, props to Surftec for listing board volumes.  Very informative!

Best,
Randy

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »
Been riding a 12' x 30"x5" Walden until May, then switched to my custom ordered 11' Foote board and have accelerated my skills way beyond my own expectations. I average 175-180lbs and at 5'8" this board handles and turns like a 9'4" regular longboard. I put a 10" (Fins Unlimited) on the back because I do love to "Straugh five" at every opportunity. It accelerates and catches waves easily. It is certainly not an entry-level board at my weight or a great ocean cruiser but I have a 12' custom Foote model (same shape) on order for that purpose. I use both a Quickblade and C-4 Pohaku paddle and love them both. Bill Footes' soon to be released production models, off this particular shape, will undoubtedly be the transition board from stand up paddler to stand up paddle surfer....

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
Hi Surfpainter,
If you have a photo of your custom 11', we will be happy to add your comments in the form of a review.  Thanks!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:11:41 AM »
Hi all,

We believe that as it matures, our user review page(s) will become one of the more useful resources available to the stand up community.  Please help us in advancing this feature by posting a review (or more, if you are so inclined).  Better features will lead to a larger community.  That in turn will lead to more input into all of our posts, better answers to questions, etc. 

Enough begging...

The list has been moved to a more accessable fixed location.  If you look up, you will notice that it (and the manufacturer list) are now available on every page.

To have your review added, please respond to this post with your contributions.  Please list the product name and model, your height, weight and one of the following: New Paddler, Infrequent Paddler, Frequent Paddler.  Let us know your comments on the product.  If you are the first to post on a given model, the product page will be created (we will do this manually for now, so allow some time for this to occur).  If the product page already exists, your review will be placed above the previous review.  As always, your comments and participation are greatly appreciated.  The list will be updated as new reviews arrive. 

Thanks,
Admin

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:43 AM »
i agree, product reviews no matter how arbitrary they tend to be would definitely offer some advantage to the well versed and most new comers alike.

my sincere apologies mr. admin. i spouted off with a pope trisect preliminary review elsewhere though it was initially meant to posted on this thread.

dumb addendum: i am 5'6", 190 lbs, an avid skateboarder (retired pro), terrible retro 70's surfer, beginner stand-up paddler, and neither sponsored nor employed by the pope bisect company... (yet.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:05:03 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 07:21:19 AM »
Mr. Shifter,
Thanks so much for the excellent review. 

Please keep them coming guys.

Thanks!

Admin

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard