Author Topic: Product reviews - Zone style  (Read 17036 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Product reviews - Zone style
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »

DW:  There is a pretty big second learning curve when switching to a board that is on the smaller side for you.  I noticed two frustrating weeks until it started to feel natural.  I would suggest completely quitting your stable board during this period (if you choose to go that route at all).  Going back and forth was just confusing to my weak mind.  Good luck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really want my wife to like the 10 ft JL. The beatings will be less when she eats it. She tried the board, but preferred the easy time she has on the 11 footer. Now I'm going to push her to try the 10 footer again. She should be on a 10 footer for sure. She's only 125 lbs.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
Rand,

I'm 6'4", 220lbs.  I was using the paddle with a Ron House custom shape 12' x 30" x 4 5/8", which I why I prefaced my comments that my size vs. the size of the paddle may be one contributing factor to it feeling like it did not have enough push.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
more observations on the infinity ottertail:
part of the genius of infinity's ottertail paddle lies in the relationship between its blade's position to the paddle's shaft. the blade is mounted in front of the shaft which is cut in an angle to set the blade's offset. this allows the shaft to form a supporting spine running almost the whole length of the blade making for more soundness of structure. by mounting the blade before the shaft the paddle is loaded "above" its fulcrum, which is the bottom hand holding the middle of the paddle. in other words the shaft is pushing the blade as opposed to pulling it along. the blade hits the water at the catch in a less drastic angle allowing for more effectiveness during the catch. the paddle angle at mid-stroke being slightly ahead of the moment arm, or shaft, is slightly more vertical. by attaining its exit angle earlier it makes a lot of sense because a standing paddle stroke is less effective once the fulcrum hand is behind the rider. all of this having a lot to do with the ergonomics of the standing paddle form and the rider having to maintain balance on a sup.

the shape of the ottertail's blade has quite a lot going for it too. since it comes to a rounded point the paddle enters the water gradually, readily redirecting the exess off to the sides, this forces the sidewards vortices upward as the paddle drives deeper creating a cleaner flow and guiding the paddle through a less turbulent path. a paddle with a flat tends to have more of a slamming effect at the catch initially releasing water out the bottom as well as off to the side, excessive shaft flex can exacerbate this effect.

list possible improvements to the ottertail:
more blend on the spine's side transition at the back of the blade
a bit of a blended spine on the face of the blade would create a more persistent dihedral
longer blade lengths as well as a proportionally longer shaft may be desirable
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:07:48 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
Great stuff.....a very similar conversation on my brothers blog. http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/?p=158 Great for everyone to share the stoke and help others avoid buying a ride that doesn't fit. I don't see any way of avoiding trying out before you buy though. Too many variables involved. Same thing with paddles.
My brother did a comparison of 3 boards (Laird, Ku Nalu, and a JL 11) and while it helps to narrow things down for folks of similar size and skill it will be different for others. I think he sleeps with the JL now.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »
This is a review of a 12’ Soft top (Munoz design) 12’ x 26.25” x 4.375”.

I am 5’-6” and 150 pounds.  Started SUP about a year ago and went out frequently until 4 months ago but starting to go out again.  I’ve also been surfing on and off for years starting out on shortboards but have moved onto hybrids and longboards.  I can do more than point and shoot but never enough to stand out in a crowd.  Basically I’m just another blob in the water. 

The soft top is my first SUP and at the time I wanted to get a board with the least amount of money invested in case I didn’t like it.  Luckily I was able to get a good deal on it a year ago.  After my first two days owning it, I was able to stand up for a total of 20 seconds in two sessions lasting 20 minutes each.  Of course, I was trying it in the ocean with 10-15 knot winds… I never said I was smart.  By the weekend, my wife and I went to a wind sheltered bay and I was ready to take another soaking.  As I was explaining to my wife how to slowly stand up, I looked over and she was already on her feet asking why I was having a hard time with this SUP thing (she’s about 10 pounds lighter than me and with much better balance).  It has been so much fun that my wife got one so we can paddle in flat water together.  Bottom line is that the length of the board is enough to easily stand in calm waters.

Cruising along the shore:  Being a narrow board, in the beginning I found myself in the water every 100 feet if there was any chop.  As I got my sea legs, it got easier and now I can stay mostly dry in small to medium chop.  When big chop hits, the instability got my legs tired fast and I’m in the water a lot more.  The board tracks pretty well but turning is tough.  I tried standing further back on the tail to turn but the narrow tail had me in the water almost every time.

Surfing:  The length made it easier to get into the surf but it doesn’t turn too well.  Then again, it could just be me.  I found that I needed to drag the paddle or stomp on the tail.  It performs best in waist to chest high waves but I’ve taken it in head high conditions and it is a blast. 

Bottom line:  This is a great beginner board for lighter people and at an affordable price in comparison to other SUP.  It is heavy (about 30 pounds) but it can take a beating.  Knowing what I know now, I would still buy this as a starter board and it is affordable (relatively speaking).  SUP is so much fun that I never prone surf anymore.

I’m hoping to get a custom board but want to get better on this one before laying down the dough.

Mike

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
This is a review for the Kialoa Nalu paddle.  Surface area: 108 sq in; Blade width:  9 ¼”; Blade length: 16 ½; Weight: 26 oz

The Nalu is an all carbon paddle and feels good in my hands.  Honestly, I don’t have much experience with canoe paddles and such so I have either gotten used to it or I lucked out and found the perfect paddle.  What I do know is that for my medium size hand, the shaft is the right diameter that my hands don’t get tired.  I’ve tried the Pohaku paddles but found the shaft was too big.  I used to play tennis so I know what diameter I should use.  Also the t-handle is shaped so I know which way is forward without looking at it.  My fingers can wrap around the handle better than the Pohaku.  I think the type of handle is purely based on preference. 

In the water, the blade size gives me plenty of power when I’m moving.  When starting from a stop, it is almost too much power.  I’ve learned to pull a little easier for the first two strokes when starting from a standstill.  I haven’t experience any noticeable shaft flex either as mentioned in other posts.  When I am paddling or surfing I never think about the paddle performance.  In my mind that is the perfect design.

Overall I love this paddle.  If I end up traveling, I just hope they come up with a two piece paddle so I can take it with me.

Mike

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
If you're a 60+ year old guy, 6'2", 250, that likes to go fast and play in the water and relatively new to SUP this review of 4 boards may apply. ;D My older bro...pretty good for an old geezer.

http://www.hawaiiv.com/allalum/?p=176
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:05:01 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
I have been paddling for two years now and am so stoked on it, I can barely stand it.  It has been very frustrating trying to keep up with and get equipment.  I wasted the first year waiting for a Surftech Laird.  It finally showed after 18 months, but by then I did not want it.  I started with a custom 12' X 26".  A waste of the first year.  I then moved on to a 12' Softop which was actually an improvement.  My wife and I now share a 11'11" SOS, a 11' Channel Island Fish and a 10'10" Walden.  We're waiting on a 10' C4, a 10'6" C4 (since January) a 9'6" Walden and a 10'4" Blane Chambers.  Which all sounds like a lot except they are scattered at three houses in three countries. ;D
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »

I'd like to update my prior JL 10 ft review if that's OK?

I've had 9-10 sessions on the 10 footer now. All in glassy to mild chop. No heavy chop yet. I've been surprised at my body's ability to adapt to this board. My first attempts, as noted in the first review, were impossible. Those attempts were in mildly choppy conditions, 10-15 mph winds. My first success came on a glassy day. I was able to stay upright just long enough to catch 2 waves. I was hooked at that point. The challenge didn't seem impossible anymore. Fast forward to today, I'm now stable and relaxed in most conditions. The next challenge will be to handle heavy seas and extreme wind blown shop. It has been interesting to jump on larger boards since the 10 footer became my stick. When I swapped boards with friends riding larger boards, those boards initially felt less stable. Weird! Of course once I was on them for a minute or two, I adapted, and they become very stable. But I found it interesting how my body and balance had adapted to what the JL 10 required, so when I switched to anything else, even though larger, it felt unstable for a brief period. I guess our body's can learn to ride anything and feel at home given time on the water. Cool news for anyone wanting to go for one of these smaller high performance boards.

Now for the ride. Every time I catch a wave, I'm soooo stoked. I feel like a hot dog short boarder. The board is fast and loose. Each time I drop in, I get excited like a kid. This board actually catches waves easier than larger boards. It paddles and accelerates fast. If you haven't made the jump from the cruiser class boards to a 10 footer, don't put it off any longer. You will be stoked.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 04:53:50 PM »
Of course, done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal