Author Topic: What is needed for a "downwinder"?  (Read 1783 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What is needed for a "downwinder"?
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question, but...

I live in So. Cal with not to many downwinder courses available. However, the other day when I was out playing around on boards near Newport Pier, I got to wondering if a downwinder board  could catch the unbroken swells coming into shore.  In Newport we have pretty much a shore break and during the summer, swells roll in for quite a while before they hit the shallow shore.  The swells vary in size from 2ft to overhead.  Morning wind is pretty much zero but afternoon is 10knots on shore. 

I understand this is not your typical downwinder in that I continually would have to paddle back out to catch more swells.  The other morning while my husband tried some boards out, I just kept paddling out past the pier, turn around and paddled back in with the swells behind me.  I was on my Starboard Hero so no speed or glide to try and catch a swell.  Would a Naish Glide be able to catch these swells?

Additionally, what makes a downwinder board a "downwinder board".  I have a flat water board with zero rocker and full displacement hull, and a surfing board (Starboard Hero). 

Thanks, Jill

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is needed for a "downwinder"?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
"Would a Naish Glide be able to catch these swells?".. Hi Jill, my answer is yes.. But when you say Glide what size Glide?.. There are 4 Glides now.. the 12.. the 14 (DW).. the 14 (Javelin) and the 17.

The one to go for is the DW 14' Glide.. Try and demo one and you will soon see what makes a down-winder type board.. They are a very special design.. Lots of nose rocker to help to stop pearling.. A pointy nose so when you do pearl you don't slow down.. Boxy rails to help stop water flowing over the sides and allow both narrowness for speed and also stiffness and stability.

DJ

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Thanks a lot David John.  I will try a Naish glide 14 when I get a chance.  It would be fun to get away from the prone surfers, here in So. Cal they hate SUPers!

Cheers, Jill

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:27:31 PM »
I think yes. We catch similar size swells to this that roll under the pier and onwards to the beach in St Kilda. I've caught them on a Naish 11'6 so on a glide you would be fine I imagine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal