Author Topic: Finally got a sail and had a blast!  (Read 5018 times)

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finally got a sail and had a blast!
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
I finally got a Severne Synergy 7.3 sail and rig and hooked it up to a couple of boards. I have not winsurfed for more than 25 years and was not sure how I would do but what I knew came back and I had a great time. I first tried the Starboard 12'6" with the center board and got used to sailing. It all worked no problem. On shore breeze about 10 mph and I was able to tack well up and down the coast and getting back to where I started. Later I took off the center board and tried in 15 to 20 mph winds - even better! I would say the board planned out more or less, but I really needed just a bit more of the 20 mph wind to really plane at my weight. Next day I tried with the Naish Glide in 5 mph wind with gusts around 10 to 15. The Glide continues to amaze me at the number of things it does well, it really picked up speed well in the gusts and is easy to change direction by foot pressure alone. I can't wait to get it in planning conditions. Next, I hooked up the Starboard 12'2" but the wind had died to 5mph and less and I didn't get a feel for what it is capable of. With my weight and the weight of the sail and rig, my feet were wet alot unlike the other boards. but I was still able to balance the board while uphalling and coming about. I still have a Starboard 11x30 and a K-15 to try out as well, so I'll be having alot of fun learning to sail these boards. If anyone else is considering getting a sail, don't hesitate. While I don't know a great deal about windsurf gear the Severne Synergy system worked well and made the whole process easy and enjoyable.

emulzhn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally got a sail and had a blast!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »
awesome..  just purchased a 12'6" starboard cruiser and will be doing this as well.  Tell me, which naish do you have, 12 or 14"?

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't check the wind section of the forum that often. I currently have the 12' Naish Glide. I sailed a long time yesterday using the Glide and the Starboard 12'6" with the same 7.3 sail. I got both boards planning and think at my skill level I prefer the Starboard 12'6". It offers a more secure feeling at all speeds and goes closer to the wind for me at moderate speeds. Once on plane, I think the Starboard is faster but the Naish gets up on plane easier and sooner. If I had to some it up I would say the Naish is really the more high performance choice of the two, but the Starboard is alot of fun and probably a better choice at my skill level.

andy_Mass

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
I have a Starboard 12 6 SUPer too and have been toying with the idea of a sail.

It is NEW and since I'm still very much a beginner at both windsurfing and SUP'ing I'm concerned about mast crashes.
What are you using, if anything, for a mast crash pad, and/or deflector ?

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
Use a standard boom bra - Neilpryde makes a nice 'T' version

Don't use a deflector - it may cause more damage to your mast lower section than it's worth.

You may also want to get a smaller sail if you're worried about nose hits.

Have fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal