Author Topic: Naish contruction: AST, Bamboo too many to list??!!  (Read 7847 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Naish contruction: AST, Bamboo too many to list??!!
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:44:19 AM »
I've been looking at a 10' Mana, and I'm trying to puzzle out all the different Naish construction methods.  Let's forget about the soft-top version, because that doesn't interest me.  That leaves:

AST, at $1249, no board bag.

Wood sandwich, at $1399, w board bag.

Bamboo, at $1499, w board bag.

Now, the way I hear it, you can't get the sandwich board anymore; it's been replaced by the bamboo board for a hunert bucks more, the main differences being the wood shows in the bamboo board and its got a vent.  Heck, I want the old one!

Then there's the AST.  I've been told that the Mana doesn't come in an AST version but I'm about 99% sure that it does.  What I don't know is what the *functional* difference would be between the AST and the bamboo versions.  Is one much lighter than the other?  Is one more likely to blow up 'cause it doesn't have a vent?  Is the AST corkier in the water than the bamboo?  And how come no stinkin' board bag?

And why, in the middle of the season, would Naish switch from sandwich to bamboo?  It just seems damn confusing to me.

Could someone shed light on the situation?  Thanks!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naish contruction: AST, Bamboo too many to list??!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:36:06 AM »
As far as I know there is just the standard Mana that comes with a bag and the new Bamboo Mana and it also comes with a bag.

It's as simple as that.. Both should surf the same.

I'm guessing the bamboo will be slightly heavier but shouldn't be much in it.. I'd get the new one because it's good to have the vent screw.

I think Naish have added the bamboo because that's what people want.. It's sort of the latest trend.

DJ
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:40:23 AM by DavidJohn »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
My understanding is that the regular one  -- ie the sandwich construction one -- has been discontinued; at least that's what Naish told my dealer.

As to the $1249 AST ....

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
The main differences between AST and "sandwich" (pine or bamboo) construction is that the sandwich ones will be a little bit lighter - and a bunch stiffer. 
The AST is a little more ding resistant. 

As to why Naish switched to bamboo - my guess is that it was available - looked good - performed well - and with the ever changing world of  sup it was something new.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

mrpete

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Hmmm,
this is interesting as their website, as far as i can tell, still only mentions AST, and wood sandwich, nothing of Bamboo.....but i like the sound of a bamboo model with a vent anywhow...
I'm interested in this model too, but heard nothing of this till now.
pete

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
Using wood eliminates the pop-out bouncy ride. Forget AST, you want wood in your board. It surfs better with wood.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Hmmm,
this is interesting as their website, as far as i can tell, still only mentions AST, and wood sandwich, nothing of Bamboo.....but i like the sound of a bamboo model with a vent anywhow...
I'm interested in this model too, but heard nothing of this till now.
pete

Not everyone updates their websites all the time.
The bamboo construction is less than a month old.
Wardog is of course up on it - he has some shots posted on his blog.
http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/05/new-naish-bamboo-sups.html
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
The main differences between AST and "sandwich" (pine or bamboo) construction is that the sandwich ones will be a little bit lighter - and a bunch stiffer. 

Does anyone know what the weight differential is between AST and "sandwich"?

boardlady

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
Is one more likely to blow up 'cause it doesn't have a vent?
the vent is a huge issue with SUPs generally, but a non-issue re your buying decision. EVERY EPS cored SUP ought to have a vent! But if it does not come thusly equipped from the manufacturer, you can install one in 5 minutes at a cost of $5.-
Eva

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

Your statement might mislead some.

The term sandwich doesn't tell the whole story.

Naish has several completely different sandwich constructions. Some are way more ding proof than AST. Here is why....

The sandwich glides are PVC sandwich.

The Mana sandwich is some PVC, with complete wood sandwich covering the PVC. super ding proof, but heavier than the Glide type sandwich, which is why the Glide doesn't use it.

The Mana sandwich's inclusion of wood makes it surf better (smoother, no bounce) which is why it's better than the Glide sandwich of PVC only and why it's OK to accept the slight weight addition it creates.

You don't want AST for surfing. You want wood sandwich.

Now to further confuse, Naish also does a wood only sandwich, no PVC under the wood. These are the only wood sandwich boards that could be called "light". The 9'3 Hokua uses this construction. Mine weighs 18 lbs. The downside is only the Thailand factory is producing those, so the cost is higher than the Chinese built wood/PVC sandwich models. As to why this is so, I have no clue.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »

I think the AST's comes with boardbags..my 7'9'' did....well I guess it is AST...kind of look like the pic only smaller.

Can the wood vs bamboo construction be newer vs older construction ie. finding something that works better and thus change to that?

I really do not know.

I think they could do a better job at updating the website, because there are a lot more models than what is show...as far as I understood there are two more guns and the 7'9'' I have + I've seen on this forum talk about 8'0'' or something like that?

Anyhow...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
I agree Naish need to keep their site up to date.

They seem to keep it up to date with team rider info and special events etc.. but there are heaps of board info that's wrong or missing.

I wonder if the bamboo Mana's will just be a limited run (special edition) like the 8'4".

Here's a bamboo Mana pic from the surfingsports site.. http://blog.surfingsports.com/

DJ

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
One cool thing is that bamboo is sustainable (grows fast, no clear cutting) vs pine, exotic woods, etc. Bamboo looks pretty cool also.  Wood on a board in general just adds that deep tone and vibe..Nice pic...... those well fit pads and the wood looks awesome.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:55:25 PM by dannyg »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
One cool thing is that bamboo is sustainable (grows fast, no clear cutting) vs pine, exotic woods, etc. Bamboo looks pretty cool also.  Wood on a board in general just adds that deep tone and vibe..Nice pic...... those well fit pads and the wood looks awesome.

Makes sense, I was told that saving on packaging is one of the reasons for giving a bag with the board..well I guess in addition to being nice and saving my boards from dings...but they save a lot of the packaging the boards come in from wherever they are made. 

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:50 PM »
I was talking about the well fit eva deck pad in the Naish pic above.  My board was shipped via freight to me sealed but not in the included bag but who knows, makes sense.  I am always to burnt to use the bag anyways after a surf, its more like..load on car...go home...food...drink a tecate 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal