Author Topic: Towing SUP behind RIB  (Read 8471 times)

garyb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Towing SUP behind RIB
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
I am wanting to tow my Starboard Drive SUP behind a small RIB.  Before I put leash plugs into the nose of my board, has anyone had experience of towing a SUP? The Rib has a top speed of about 15knts. I am concerned that there may not be enough nose rocker to prevent the board pearling at planing speed.
Better still, perhaps I could try towing it tail 1st?

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Towing SUP behind RIB
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
Use caution. If the nose catches a piece of chop it will pearl and the power of the boat will force it further and further underwater, creating a lot of stress for the board, and the boat.

Unless there is a trick that I don't know about, I think it will be difficult to do.

Richard

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
Try mounting leash plugs on nose and your tow rig high on the vessel.  Pay out enough line to get the board behind the wake and then start towing at slow speed.  If it tows fine at slow speed it should tow fine at high speed.  I really doubt it will pearl because the board should be in smooth water behind the vessel.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
Better yet, rig a harness that wraps around nose of board with tow line attaching to center underneath the nose. This is how to line a canoe upstream while keeping bow upward. Also doesn't strain a single point of failure leash plug; that's a lot of strain.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
i would not do this at all. seems like will only lead to trouble. i have a 16 ft inflatable i strap mine kind of to the side can fit 2 like this no prob.

garyb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.
 I will hold off putting leash plugs in the board and experiment a bit with stropping the board. My RIB is a tender for my fishing boat and is only 2.3m long so I think it will be difficult to strap the board to it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
The Starboard 12'6" and 12'2" often have a leash plug under the nose for towing. I've towed both behind my Adventure Island sailing trimarans, which probably hit a max speed of fifteen MPH in a beam reach. No problems with pearling or tracking. I've even done it with my 240 pound buddy sleeping on the board.

If you wanted to do it without adding a plug, I'd run a line from the rear leash plug under the tail and do a clove hitch on the nose with the bitter end of the line leading out  under the center of the board to your tow boat.

If you want to do belt and suspenders, I'd tow the board backwards with the fin over the transom in the boat. You could have the board way off to one side and still not feel it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
Hi Gary,
I tow my boards behind my tunnel hull Dux flato on a tow sled...fins forward and facing up...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
That is one hell  of a sweet rig Wardog!  Check out the thundercats at about 16:40 at   Woohoo!
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
Hey Chris,
Let's go for a ride next time you're up in Santa Babylon...;-)

Xtreme Thundercat Racing

Jerry Shalhoob has his pretty tricked out...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
I WANT one of those! I've been thinking about a small boston whaler for coastal runs. That looks like more fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal