Author Topic: Ready to step-up to a better wave-riding short board... thoughts?  (Read 1964 times)

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
From my 12'1" Laird. Finally am figuring it all out. I'm 6'4" 225 (+ or - a few lbs...) would like a board that is more performance-oriented for surfing but is not so unstable that it won't float me. Or is so big and wide I'll grow out of it quickly.The surf conditions up here in Maine are less-than-perfect...choppy, wind blown and sloshy beach breaks that are not usually clean but can get big. Too big for me to swing my Laird in. Plenty of Starboards, C4 and Surftech around locally for me to demo, just would like some advice what models to start with. I'm open to any other suggestion.Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:47:12 AM by Ake G »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ready to step-up to a better wave-riding short board... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »
Everyone knows I'm going to say "try the Naish 10' Mana".. So I will.. Go on and try it..  ;D .. I'm also 6'4" and I love mine.

You'll be amazed at how stable it is.. and how well it turns on a wave giving it that short board feel compared to the big Laird.

DJ

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
Ake,

You and I are same size. I also started on the Laird 12. Next step down for me was the Surftech 11-6 Takyama. I rode that for a year and then moved down to the Surftech 10'6" Laird Pearson Arrow. Floats me great, loose and a good nose rider. Love that board! Also heard the Surftech Takyama 11 is a great board. Haven't ridden it yet, but according to a trusted source, a lot of Surftech Pro riders are or were riding the the Tak 11. BTW, I have no affiliation with Surftech, I just like the variety in the line and am a brand loyalist.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Yep, Mana.

Amazing east coast slop board. Lots of tail rocker makes it loose as a goose. Lots of nose kick for beach break waves. Crazy stable for wind blown waves. Rails grip the wave face like a good board should. Wood sandwich kills the pop-out hollow feel, a bonus! Catches everything....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal