Author Topic: Naish Glide 12' or TahoeSUP Zephyr 12'6"  (Read 17422 times)

nethingbutlast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish Glide 12' or TahoeSUP Zephyr 12'6"
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »
hey everyone...

i have a chance to get either a Naish Glide 12' or a TahoeSUP Zephyr 12'6".
read a lot of good stuff about the Glide, but haven't found much on the Zephyr.

a little bit about me: 5'11", 170lb, paddled outrigger canoes for 15 yrs, bad swimmer (more of a survivor), and has SUP'd only a handful of times.

board will be used for: 95% flatwater lakes/sloughs/bays/etc.  may take it into a mild (nothing over knee high) downwind run once in a blue moon.  maybe the occasional ocean cruise.  i do want to race in flatwater (or flatter water) with the occasional ocean race.  will never specifically set out to surf it.

i know the best thing to do is to go out and demo all the different boards, but i don't really have the time right now (shops are too far for me to go rent vs. the lakes that are right by my house).

i guess stability would be desired "more" than speed...but speed is good too!
can you have both? 

any opinions on which board would be best for my planned usage?

thanks for looking...now get back on the water (unless you want to reply first).   ha!

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Naish Glide 12' or TahoeSUP Zephyr 12'6"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
I own a 14' Glide, here's my $0.02.

The Glide is a downwind board, planning hull and rocker  designed with downwind performance in mind.  It should kick the pants off the Zephyr in a downwind run.  The Zephyr is a "race/touring" flatwater board, with a displaced hull, it should perform much better into a head wind due to the displaced hull and probably be faster in a flatwater, non downwind run (assuming both engines are equal).  Both boards have similar measurements, but based on the listed volume, the Zephyr will probably be more stable.

I haven't paddled a Zephyr, but it was on my board list as well.  It will probably be a toss up on which board handles side chop in open water conditions, but again the volume of the Zephyr might make it less tippy,  Side or head wind, I would say Zephyr would be a more enjoyable paddle.

The Zephyr looks really nice and has some great built in tie off anchors for attaching gear, coolers, fishing equipment. etc.   If I lived on a lake, this would be my choice.

Try and get on both in the conditions you plan to paddle in.  Good luck on your purchase.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:20:32 PM by H2Oman »

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Night time and I already paddled today so here is my reply!

We have a Zephyr and the Bliss.  The Zephyr is a very stable board.  My husband rides it and he is 165lbs.  The Zephyr is 29" wide at the waist and does not narrow up nearly as fast as the Bliss.  We use the Tahoe SUPs for flat water touring mostly in Newport Harbor.  They handle chop great and make upwind runs into the chop doable.  Today I paddled the Bliss upwind into heavy chop for 3 miles, man was it fun when I turned around.  The Zephyr has really nice glide, tracks straight, and runs fast.

Just remember that a displacement hull is slower to turn but because of this tracks straighter.  We were pretty much thinking right along your lines when we ended up with the Tahoe SUPs. We almost always have an on shore wind here so paddling into the wind is must.  The little bag TAHOE sells is very handy and easily hooks onto the board.

Where are you located?
Cheers, Jill

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
These are the exact two boards I was looking at. After much reading I decided on the Glide for a few reasons. The glide was cheaper since I got the AST, I found no reviews on the Zypher, I couldn't find anyone that used the Zypher in the ocean, lots of glide owners gave rave reviews, lots of on ocean action for the glide, and the glide comes with a windsurfing mast point.

It really depends on what you want to do on the board and what the water conditions are.

nethingbutlast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
thanks for all the input!

so far...sounds like the zephyr is the ideal board for me esp due to the extra stability.
i'm in nor cal and i have probably 3 lakes within 15 min of me.
then i'm about 30 min away from two  8+ mile lagoons,  the SF Bay, and Santa Cruz.
my friend lives on one of the lagoons, so we can dump into the lagoon from his backyard and have a great loop.
it does get a little windy there since it's near the bay...but it's just chop.

this board will be used probably 95% fitness/5% racing.
the fitness runs will be all lakes/lagoons.
i'd probably only see the ocean or any type of open water on weekends for races.

i've seen all the reviews about the glide...and that's why i'm torn.

thanks again for all the help!
it's greatly appreciated...

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
You better get that Zephyr fast. The first race of the Tahoe series is Memorial day weekend at Donner. I believe it is a 5 mile loop around the lake. Tahoe SUP has a great summer race series. Check it out on their website.

Have fun  Jill

nethingbutlast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
i know!  i do want to do that race.
but man...i'd have to drive 8 hrs (round trip) to do a 5 mile race.
donner is such a pretty lake though...

no one within 100 miles has a 12'6" zephyr to buy.
i can put a deposit down and get a zephyr in 2-3 weeks OR i can get a glide this weekend.

what to do....what to do...

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Have you called Ernie at Tahoe SUP.  He was able to tell us where 2 were in So.Cal that no one knew about.  Give them a call, they might be able to help you out.
Jill

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
Paddle Surf Warehouse Dana Point had one in 2 weeks ago. 

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
We bought that one.  When we were there buying it someone called to get it and we told them the other Newport guy who had 2 left.  He should still have 1 left, but I believe he is looking for one in Nor. Cal.
Jill

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
www.REI.com sells Naish Glides and the other Tahoe boards but not the Zypher. You don't get to try them out but you can get a discount if you are a member or have a coupon. I got my Glide for 25% off at REI.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
The rei memorial day flyer came today with the 20% off coupon. You can use it at the store or online.

nethingbutlast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
sweet!!!!

REI has it's anniversary sale starting tomorrow.
i called and the 20% will work for SUP's.
how'd you get 25% off?

but...go figure...REI has the TahoeSUP Rubicon and the Bliss...but no Zephyr.  haa!
what are the odds...
they do have the glide though.
hmm....it is 100% satisfaction guarantee....

nethingbutlast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
oops...

looks like jillride beat me to the punch.

thanks for all the info folks!

i wonder...try the glide...and if for some reason i'm not 100% satisfied......
brand new glide for $1119 + tax.

what to do...what to do...

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:30 AM »
I have not ridden the Glide so this may not mean anything at all, but just to give you some more info.... take it as you may.

My husband has 2 boards, one with a partial displacement hull (even more than the glide has) and the Zephyr with a full displacement hull.  When paddling on flatwater (some chop but not crazy) if he is on the Zephyr I cannot gain on him and no fail he can pull away from me on the Bliss.  If he is on his partial displacement hull board I can always catch back up and pass him.  I can take a break, play with my music etc and know that I can power back up to him.  When he is on the Zephyr I have to stay close.  In windy conditions and bad chop he has no chance on the partial displacement hull.  I can fly by him. 

Just my observations.  They both would be really fun.  The Naish boards keep their value so you could easily sell it later. 

If you could borrow a board until the donner lake race that might be the best option.  We had some beginner boards and went to the Hovie race in Newport and had a blast.  Everyone at the race was super nice and we learned a lot about boards. Some guy let me ride his custom bark and I fell in love with displacement hulls.

Have Fun, Jill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal