Author Topic: New Naish Glide 12' Need Help  (Read 13598 times)

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Naish Glide 12' Need Help
« on: May 15, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
Hey guys, I just got a 12' AST glide this week based on the reviews ive seen across a lot of sup sites including this one. Today I spent did my second trip on the board which was the Key West Paddle Classic 12.5 miles. By the end of the race I was ready to sell the board.

I am about 5'11 and weigh 140lbs, so I am a really light guy. I thought this would make for an advantage but I got creamed. I really knew it was going to happen but I got cream by a girl on a rental board her 2nd time ever on the board. The whole trip felt like I was paddling a half sunk canoe. Waves kept crashing up over the sides and bow of the board totally stopping me.

I am new to paddle boarding this was my 3rd time ever on a board but I made it the 12.5 miles despite the case of drag ass. I just can't figure out how I never gained and inch and was passed so easily regards less of how hard I paddeled. I have the fin forward on the board but never managed a straight line.

Before you asked I tried every position I could think of. Sitting, standing, kneeling, etc. When I was forward on the board the waves even 6" high crashed over the bow. When I was middle board there was a lot of thuds and the bottom bow hit the water. Rear board made it crazy unstable, the bow was higher but tiny waves would almost turn me 90 degrees.

I would love some advice on the board and its handeling. Am I to light? is it all technique? I thought i would at least be able to keep up with the rental girls. Thanks in advance.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: New Naish Glide 12' Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
First I own a shop we sell Naish boards

Second I'm NOT the leading expert here on distance SUP racing

Third I'm NOT 140# More like double that

I do however use the Glide as my primary board (flatwater & down wind)

Here is what I would do

#1 PRACTICE good paddling techniques
#2 Move the fin ALL THE WAY BACK (tracks better)
#3 Going into the wind (waves) Stand far forward. so the tail just touches the water.
#4 Going with the wind (small waves) stand middle or even slightly back
(#3 & #4 Take practice)
#5 if you don't have a race paddle get one (i recommend the C4)
Lastly BEND YOUR KNEES softens the impact of chop makes it easier to glide over

The GLIDE AST is a real good starter racing/training board Once you get the techniques down I think you'll be beating the rental board girls. Just remember no equipment can make up/over come T.O.W. (Time On the Water)

If I can be any further help feel free to contact me directly

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm not as experienced as most most on the forum, but I'll start.  If this was only your 3rd time out, by all means, don't blame the board.  You asked if it's technique and my guess would be that this was the culprit.  When I first started paddling, just a few months ago, I started off with an SIC F14...not quite a beginners board, but I'm using the example to explain my point.  On my first 5-10 trips, I'd fall off the board here and there.  It was very humbling since the F14 is described as being  a stable board.  I had no surfing experience and my balance skills were just not up to par.  I paddled with a 74 year old man who was paddling a Naish 14 Glide and I couldn't keep up with him.  My paddling technique and balance sucked.  Since then, I work out daily on my balance apparatuses like the Indo Board and Balance 360.  I also paddle a couple other smaller boards and go out in all sorts of ocean conditions for the experience.  I'm not super fast, but I'm no longer slow and as my technique and skill level improves, so does the speed of my paddling, whether I'm on a 14 ft. SIC or a 10 ft. Subvector.   Congrats on paddling the distance, now focus on your technique and I'm sure you'll see your speed improve.  

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
Hey guys, I just got a 12' AST glide this week based on the reviews ive seen across a lot of sup sites including this one. Today I spent did my second trip on the board which was the Key West Paddle Classic 12.5 miles. By the end of the race I was ready to sell the board.

I am about 5'11 and weigh 140lbs, so I am a really light guy. I thought this would make for an advantage but I got creamed. I really knew it was going to happen but I got cream by a girl on a rental board her 2nd time ever on the board. The whole trip felt like I was paddling a half sunk canoe. Waves kept crashing up over the sides and bow of the board totally stopping me.

I am new to paddle boarding this was my 3rd time ever on a board but I made it the 12.5 miles despite the case of drag ass. I just can't figure out how I never gained and inch and was passed so easily regards less of how hard I paddeled. I have the fin forward on the board but never managed a straight line.

Before you asked I tried every position I could think of. Sitting, standing, kneeling, etc. When I was forward on the board the waves even 6" high crashed over the bow. When I was middle board there was a lot of thuds and the bottom bow hit the water. Rear board made it crazy unstable, the bow was higher but tiny waves would almost turn me 90 degrees.

I would love some advice on the board and its handeling. Am I to light? is it all technique? I thought i would at least be able to keep up with the rental girls. Thanks in advance.

Bra one word that will help you gain control of everything is RELAX take breath and repeat,repeat and repeat. Don't rush it will come its all part of the game.  At your weight you should be flying on that SUB but like you mentioned yourself it's your third time out and its like anything else you walk before you run. You need to gain control of balance and technique before you consider speed and power I would'nt even consider racing.

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice all, I will certainly work on my technique and see if I can pick up some speed. Balance isn't so much an issue since I have been boating my whole life but the paddling needs work for sure. None of the dealers in Florida had a Naish Glide that I could try out and I haven't met anyone else with one IRL so I wasn't sure if there was a certain amount of tweaking to be done to the board before use. I knew I wasn't going to place when I got in the race, it was more to test out the board in the ocean and visit family. I wanted to see if I could go the distance nothing more. It was just humbling to see other new sup'ers with NSP's gliding by. Also my paddle is a QuickBlade Kanaha carbon standard.

@JimK When going into waves, dosen't standing forward on the board send the nose into/under the waves? The chop I was going though was 0-2' tall, and my nose would dig into the on coming waves and put me at a dead stop.

I am not into racing really I just want to be able to compete in races when they are in town. No trophy's just fun and t-shirts. Id like to not be last though ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:50:13 PM by beernuts »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
Sounds like you just had a bad day..  ;)

BTW.. I know a rental 'girl' that would beat most people in most races no matter what board she uses and it's much more about time on the water and experience than anything else.

My 12' AST Glide is my most used board.. I love the shape and I love the way the nose pierces through chop and waves.. Maybe it's that that was putting you off and you not feel comfortable on it.

Give it more time and I'm sure you'll learn to love this board like I do.

I took these pics of my 12' Glide two days ago while paddling with a friend who used his 12' PSH.. The last pic shows two friends that we bumped into on the water.. Both on their 12' Glides and loving them.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
This little YouTube vid that I took shows me paddling my 12' AST Glide in fairly choppy conditions.

IMO it's one of the fastest and most fun 12' boards out there.

There's no way an NSP would come close with the same paddler on both boards.

Nothing against the NSP but the Glide is just so much a better board.

I stand fairly forward on the board with my toes close to the front edge of the waffle section of grip.

DJ

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:01:07 PM by DavidJohn »

watermelonman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
If you've only been on a SUP three times and only twice on the Glide, you've done extremely well to finish the Key West Classic.  The conditions on a calm day aren't all that great with the currents and tides, and boat traffic,  let alone the wind they had yesterday.  Report back after next year's race.

You're right about the availability of the Glide in Florida.  I couldn't find one to demo either.  I didn't even know anyone who had one.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:22:52 AM »
Hey Beernuts, I happen to be about 5'10" and 155 lb and I also bought a 12' Glide after only a few sessions of paddling. And guess what? I sold it after about a month. The reasons were very similar to those you outline - I couldn't get it to paddle straight, I couldn't get any speed out of it, and I just wasn't having any fun. It seemed like the wrong board for me. But I think the real problem was that my paddling skills weren't up to scratch. And for some reason, the 12' Glide is particularly unforgiving on a light weight paddler with poor skills. It's now about 6 months later and I feel that I am a substantially more capable paddler. I've been on a 14' Glide and a 17' Glide recently and found them fast and easy to paddle. So I guess the message is stick with the 12' Glide a little while longer. 

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
I've had my 12' Glide for 7 months and it was my first genuine standup board, prior to that I used windsurfing boards for 2 years. I'm 165 6'1 so i'm around your weight. I had similar issues when I first used the board for the first month or so, it wouldn't track very well and it didn't seem fast. I was really pissed i spent so much on it. However after I got used to it I began to love the versatility of the board. It's a great flat water and downwind board, it catches the smallest of wind-waves/boat wakes, and you can even take it into the waves a little bit. Stick with the Glide, buying a longer board isn't going to help you beat that 'rental girl' but perfecting your technique and increasing strength will. You made a good choice on the Glide.

beernuts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
Its nice to know I am not crazy and that this board is a bit unforgiving to beginners. Ill be keeping the board and trying to tame it. Ive seen several people suggest a racing paddle for the board, will this make a difference in learning the board? Currently I have a 80" QuickBlade Kanaha standard with the larger blade surface. Since its brand new I could trade it out for a smaller bladed paddle.

Also anyone have a way to clean the AST boards? Since they are matt they attract dirt like crazy, Mine still has finger prints from the dirt that was on the box it came in. Not to mention the strap marks and other smudges popping up on it. Nothing seems to get them off, I was about to try a magic eraser or simple green.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »
Yes, that yellow on the AST is a bitch to keep clean.  Mine has small marks on the rails from the mastic tape and the straps I bought when I brought it home left nice stripes across the bottom.  However, its a board, not a showroom car.  I tend to use my toys more than I baby them.

Simple Green is usually my cleaning savior, did nothing to cleaning the rails/bottom.  As a test, I was able to remove some of the paddle marks with 000 steel wool, but proceed with caution...don't get to aggressive.  Maybe a Scotch pad or something might be the way to go.  Just remember, you're just going to put more dirt and marks on as you use it. Fun first, clean 2nd.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
Beernuts, I am aiming to get a smaller blade paddle in order to speed up my stroke rate - looking at the Kialoa Pipes. I reckon something like that might suit you too. I think you'll find that a good rhythm in your stroke will soon have you gliding past the rental boards.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
Just went out on my maiden voyage on the 12' Glide this morning.  No chop and thigh high waves on the sandbar.  Went for a 5 mile paddle and had just a few observations.  I wouldn't say the top speed was much more then what I can get on my buddies 12'6" Laird...but I'd say the Glide inbetween strokes was way smoother and longer...so I guess the name is fitting.  My time was about 15 mn's shorter then normal so I guess overall I was def. going alot faster.  You can ride waves but you need to get way back on the tail and of course no real turning.  The fast spot was farther forward then I thought and it really helps to move forward when going into the chop.  I used my new Methane and at least for me I really like the power of my older 9' Kialoa, it might just me and what I've grown used to.  Felt like I really had to take alot more strokes to get the same drive.  Going to put a smaller faster fin in tomorrow then the stock and see what happens.......also plan to take the older power paddle out.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
Yes, that yellow on the AST is a bitch to keep clean.  Mine has small marks on the rails from the mastic tape and the straps I bought when I brought it home left nice stripes across the bottom.  However, its a board, not a showroom car.  I tend to use my toys more than I baby them.

Simple Green is usually my cleaning savior, did nothing to cleaning the rails/bottom.  As a test, I was able to remove some of the paddle marks with 000 steel wool, but proceed with caution...don't get to aggressive.  Maybe a Scotch pad or something might be the way to go.  Just remember, you're just going to put more dirt and marks on as you use it. Fun first, clean 2nd.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal