Author Topic: Took the Starboard Pocket Rocket and Tiki out for a demo.  (Read 28015 times)

Squiby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Took the Starboard Pocket Rocket and Tiki out for a demo.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
A bunch you you in this thread now have lots of time on the small and surfy Starboards. So I'm curious what you think of their design philosophy. I find their shape to be very different from where most others are headed. They seem to carry a ton of volume up front and they have a round or even blunted nose that looks to have more in common with a nose rider than a short board. Most of the other short SUPs I've seen look pulled in and foiled thin. This different shape seems to allow people to get on much smaller boards and still have stability.

But what are the consequences? Can you still easily get through/over the whitewater with that nose shape? I thought that a pulled in, low volume nose should be easier. Are the "negative" surfing characteristics of the wide nose and tail offset by being able to use a shorter board. I wondered if these shapes were just meant for small waves and easy stability but even for their Pro Wave models sticks close to this shape.

Their shapes just look so different to me yet many seem to raving about them here. Is it performance for the every man? Is it the future direction of SUP shapes? Is everyone else off on the wrong track? What do you think?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
The Pocket Rocket is still available for 2010.

The next variation is the 8'5" X 29-1/2" Pro.
It is a 2-1 set up and really goes places beyond the Pocket Rocket.
More nose rocker, slight concave in the nose, Rounded Pin tail,
"New" Honeycomb Fins are really an improvement.

This board carves, pumps, vertical drops, barrels, off the top re-entries,
tail stands.

Bogs in the flats more than the Pocket Rocket with my weight at 185#.

I have had it in moderate chop and it is doable.

So Far on wave faces 10-12', any larger?

I'll post some pictures in the next post.

www.Sup-position.com
Huntington Beach, California, USA
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
i have a 9'3 sub vector and i rode a 8'11 custom board a friend of mine has both have narrow noses more traditional surf shape, but i find the pr with the wide nose to be more stable when waiting for waves and much better at paddling over white water. the pr is also a lot lighter then most boards which i also find a major plus and so far surfs better then any board ive owned or demoed but it took me a week to get used to it and ive ridden it up to double overhead waves. the narrow nose boards are a little better in the big stuff.

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 09:02:05 AM »
They seem to carry a ton of volume up front and they have a round or even blunted nose that looks to have more in common with a nose rider than a short board. Most of the other short SUPs I've seen look pulled in and foiled thin. This different shape seems to allow people to get on much smaller boards and still have stability.

IMO (I'm not a shaper), the main reason why regular short surfboard have little volume on the nose is that so they're easy to duck dive. Look at a regular longboard: most of them have rounded big noses.
This kind of distinction seems to have been applied to SUP boards too, at least in the beginning.
I've taken the pr three times in small surf and I havent' found any disantvantage at all in the wide nose as well as in everything else. That board is so stable that it makes me look much better than I am. I like that.
Haven't taken it out in big waves, but it seems that there's no problem over there either.

Hey Sup-position, what do you think about the 7.11?
Connor has one for sale and I can't wait to try it when he comes back on the 24...

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
The 7-11 is a great board for rampy waves up to 6-7' faces
with the fin configurations I was playing with.
Totally rip the waves to shreds.

Wobbly in chop, rip currents and back wash at
my weight of 185#, will definitely shorten your session.

Not many around so if you can grab one do it!
Starboard's  "New Honeycomb Fins" work great!

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
The other reason shortboards typically have little volume in the nose is to reduce swing weight - the nose will come around quicker in an off the top, etc. if it weighs less.

Finally, the shortboard nose is often not in contact with the water so you aren't getting any planing surface benefit from it - so why not reduce it as much as possible.

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
The other reason shortboards typically have little volume in the nose is to reduce swing weight - the nose will come around quicker in an off the top, etc. if it weighs less.

Finally, the shortboard nose is often not in contact with the water so you aren't getting any planing surface benefit from it - so why not reduce it as much as possible.

That was a brilliant, concise reply.  Thanks. ;D

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »

Very true.

But while the first part may apply to SUPs too (even though the PR is SO LIGHT that that is questionable too), the second doesn't. The big advantage of having a wide nose in an SUP board is stability. You don't need that on a regular shortboard 'couse you're laying down on it, but it's an enormous advantage when you're standing on it.
The real problem is when it's windy. A wide nose would catch more wind, but IMO when it's windy SUP surfing sucks anyway...

Sup-selection, thanks for the feedback on the 7.11. At 155# I found the PR super easy for me and I like the idea that the 7.11 would challenge me a bit more. Plus the 7.11 can be sailed too, the PR can't and that makes a big difference for me.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »
Yes the 711 can be sailed if it is a Black Camo or Candy.

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
I can't imagine windsurfing an 8.5' board. The 14' Naish yeah maybe. Just the short time I demo'd the PR I can say that it tears it up. God I can't wait for my black camo to come in.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
I have the black camo PR.  I have had a lot more time on the board and I continue to love it more and more.  My only complaint is that towards the tail, the pad does not provide enough grip on harder cutbacks.  On smooth turns it's plenty fine.  I plan to add just a few little extra pieces of pad towards the lower 1/4 of the board.
The board catches waves so easy and the board is a blast!
Have fun and let us know how you like it.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
Will do. Have you thought about adding a stomp pad to the back? You can get them at any surf shop. I appreciate the insight on this board. It gives me something to plan for such as putting some extra grip back there as needed. I did get the version with the deck pad so will wait and see.

spleeft

• Malibu Status
  • Loving my new Pocket Rocket!
    • View Profile
    • Marshall Movies webtvblog
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
Been riding my PR for a few weeks now, sweeeeeet!
My only complaint is the heal dents that are forming, no word from the rep yet :'(
Heres a pic from Tuesday, bouy was reading 1.3 feet @ 11 seconds, no wind. The PR came through like a dream....never couldve had this much fun on a Long board. Fun long rides with even a few turns!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:50:00 AM by spleeft »

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
I can't imagine windsurfing an 8.5' board. The 14' Naish yeah maybe. Just the short time I demo'd the PR I can say that it tears it up. God I can't wait for my black camo to come in.
???
8'5 is pretty long for a windsurfer.  My windsurfing wave boards are 7'6, 7'9 and 8'2, while my speed/slalom boards are all around 7'10. 

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
Heel dents?  What construction did you get?  Nice pix. I'm on a MAC, how do you post pictures in the thread?  I've never done it.  When I click the photo button it puts the image brackets and I know I need to put it inside this.  If the pictures are saved on my computer, how do I do it?  Once I figure it out, I will send some pix on my PR

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal