Author Topic: Starboard Hero review  (Read 11699 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Hero review
« on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
Had the opportunity to take out the Starboard Hero 9' x 33" in some sloppy windy surf in Delray Beach and here are my findings.

I am 6 ft and 185 and have been surfing mostly Coreban Performer(9'6" x 30")
40 years surfer and 15 yrs windsurfer

I had never so much as touched the Hero before I set it in the ocean and paddled out in 20 mph winds and windswept 3 ft surf.  The board is AMAZINGLY stable and I made it out through the chop and numerous sets with no problem.  It sliced through the whitewater with ease.  I kept expecting greater impact with each set but that wasn't the case.

While waiting for the sets the board floated me beautifully and I had no problem waiting in the choppy and windy conditions.    Every time I looked down I kept thinking how short this board looked. My feet never moved and stayed glued to the mid point of the board.  This Hero was Blue Star Touch model and it does offer good traction though not as much as a deck pad, but it saves a couple lbs in weight.

The Hero paddles nicely with more Yawl than longer boards but that was expected. I was actually impressed how well it did paddle in a straight line before having to switch sides.

I stayed pretty close to the break zone and caught waves with ease.  The board catches waves nicely and has a decent rocker and drops were no problem.
Where I did miss my Coreban Performer was on the wave.  The Hero feels every bit of it;s 33" wide and it felt a little sluggish forcing me to paddle alot to stay ahead of each section.  I am able to pump my Performer more with my legs and not be as dependent on the paddle as I was with the Hero.  Of course it was only my 1st day and I am going to experiment with fin set up.  Of course the sloppy conditions were not ideal either.  It did turn well and was loose on the wave, it just seemed to lack speed.

I am looking forward to another session on the Hero and also try the Converse which at 9x 30" my suit me better.

I can say that the stability of the Hero was impressive and believe it is a board a lighter beginner could start with  and progress with.   

If I can find my camera I will download some pics of the Hero

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Hero review
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
Do you have an update on this?  How has the Hero worked for you over time? 

Were you able to surf a Converse as well?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal