Author Topic: TRUCK RACK  (Read 14575 times)

1pake

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
TRUCK RACK
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
Im looking to get a rack for my 4 door truck. Looked at prices for Thule and Yakima and now want to  price getting a custom fab rack for the bed with a half rack (yakima) for top of the cab.

I've found one guy who advertises to make racks for trucks specifically for boards but not sure what the cost is. I'm also wondering about having the rack in back of the bed vs the front and if it should have a slight angle to allow for proper spacing to carry the load.

I'm riding a 10'3 and am hoping to also transport boards for 1 or 2 friends that i go with. I'm living on Oahu.

any advice on cost, design and who to get custom work from?

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TRUCK RACK
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »
All the OC-1 guys get the aluminum rack on the back of the bed from this guy Bobby Sprey.  I don't know his number but he live in Hawaii Kai.  Maybe you can ask around or google him.

Rockbottom

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
A friend of mine is a welder and told me that he couldn't touch the price of a production rack.  I bought a Thule, I think it was in the low $400's, and that's with a discount.  It was worth it though, solid as a rock, and it comes with movable tie downs that slide left-right.
    As far as where the rack is, Trac-Rack slides fore and aft on the rails of your bed, but they cost in the $600's+
  Hope this helps.

1pake

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »
I got Bobby's number and he seems like ha's got the experience. Wondering about the cost though.

Saw the Thule and Trac Rac and they are nice. Just a little expensive.

anyone know the cost on a custom fab?

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
I'm considering making a rack for my 05 Chevy Avalanche. I ran across this shot of some guy's canoe rack on the back of an Av. I have a 50" Thule square bar rack for the cab above the back doors.
Seems very simple & should work great.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:13:56 PM by AirJunky »
--
Bill

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
Doesn't anyone search?

This was only 2 weeks ago

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=6975.0
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »
I wish someone made a rack like those for a Chevy Avalanche.
--
Bill

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
Finished my rack. Bent & welded the rear supports so the Avalanche bed covers & jockey boxes are still fully functional. Finally got some real surfboard straps for it. Had a helicopter effect goin if I tied it up straight. But I put a twist in & now it handles freeway speeds without much noise.
Been carrying an LPC Wet Willy on it the last few days & it's working great. Also carried 2 boards on it to NorCal & back, about 1600 miles round trip, with no problems.

--
Bill

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
It's pretty easy to build a rack. If I were teaching a welding 101 class it would probably be a midterm project. All the same, while I have MIG and TIG welders and I'm a decent welder,  if I wanted a rack I'd probably just buy a Thule. I could just barely buy the materials for their price. Then again, a nice stainless steel rack might make a nice project, and I have a bunch of stainless tubing sitting around. Hmmm.

My next minor project is an electric tricycle with racks to carry my board and windsurfing gear. Just a whacky notion, but it will be fun, and it will cost next to nothing to operate. Every time I start my F350 I picture oil sludge washing up on beaches. Since I live in hilly Hood River it's going to have a lot of oomph, and of course I can pedal assist.

I was considering building a TR3 resto project I have as an electric car, with kind of a steampunk "what Lucas might have done in an alternate universe" style, but I have too many great Triumph parts to waste them. And electric cars are silly with current tech. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Yea, if I had a regular pickup I could find a few different racks that would work. Prices are around $400 though. Or one of them used the receiver to mount the rear part of the rack. I wanted to be able to tow a boat, or just lower the tailgate without removing the SUP from the rack. In the end, I'm into this rack for about $125.
The only real permanent mod to the truck is the bar on the cab. I mounted the feet on the roof. When the bar isn't installed, it has 2 small caps that cover the feet. Looks kind of like the Satellite Radio antenna on the front of the roof.
It would be a cool project for a welding class. I'm a computer geek for a living, so learning how to weld, fabricate, etc is kind of fun for me.
BTW, the padding on the Thule bars are trailer guide post pads for a ski boat trailer. Seem to be working great & is the kind of thing I have laying around the garage.
We have canoe/kayak racks on our beach available. But I'm a little skittish about leaving this new LPC board down there... don't want it getting legs. Thinking that I'd rather leave it on the truck & haul it around. If I'm not planning on using the board for a week or more, the whole thing comes off the truck with 4 screws.... then just replace the bed handles. Takes maybe 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:20:37 AM by AirJunky »
--
Bill

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »
I was tired of loading and unloading - and straps - and worrying about theft.
So I just got this!  (10 sup's in there - including a Glide 14)
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
 Nice ride, E.R.. I love those Sprinters but hate their price tags. Yours appears to be the extended version; even bigger bucks! Still, I'm very jealous... Later,  JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal