Author Topic: Start Digging  (Read 9436 times)

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Start Digging
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
I was checking out the the shot and the quote in Surfer.  What's interesting is  there is a double page spread  by Boardworks  saying  " some SUP's are designed to Surf"    Shows guys riding a PSH , C4 and SubVector.  So there you go.....

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
In the New Zealand magazine (Slide I think)... there were at least three SUP ad spreads this past issue.

As to TWS, I like to refer to it as the "Tiger Beat" of surf publications... I get it because of my membership with the Surfing Heritgage Foundation... but it REALLY is insipid.  My personal favorite feature is (no, I am not making this up), the "interview with the famous surfer's girlfriend" feature.

Don't blame them... as their demo is apparently 13-19 year old males who cannot complete a sentence without using "like" and "sick" twice... but it really, really is not a magazine... as I understand the term.

One more, the "Gear Guide" issue where each sponsored surfer gives their selection of their personal favorite "sick" gear... I was SHOCKED when I read that Jordy really likes O'Neil wetsuits, but for some reason, Taylor Knox likes Rip Curl the best.  Yes, I admit to "reading it" ... I keep in the office bathroom.

All the best,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
My wife got me a free 1 yr. subscription  to SURFER magazine somehow at a website ( she got "Islands" mag free for a yr also).

The age target in my estimation is about 16-21, it is a bunch of clothing ads, and too many pics of the same moves, it sucks.

I gave it to my 19 year old, she looked at it for10 min. ...and in the can it went.

DON'T TAKE THE MAG or the inmature bs TOO SERIOUSLY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
I would expect some of the surf rags that are marketed to older crowds to be a little friendlier towards SUP in the future - especially if they think they can pull some ad dollars in from SUP advertisers.

PonoBill, would love to chat with you about the iPad apps face-to-face this summer. I have my likes and dislikes about the PopSci product (also one of our products.) I've been spending some time talking to the developers - they've got some great UI changes coming down the line, and I think the app is going to improve substantially. Speaking off, I will be in Hood River after the Pistol River event, from June 21-Aug 1 or so. Let's paddle and sail!

Be glad to get together. I think I'm around that week. my schedule this summer looks worse than when I worked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
Just noticed the date span. I was thinking July to august  We'll certainly be able to get together. You shied plan on doing the downwind races as well
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »
historically been reserved for oar-free surfing,

BS!!  What's up with that?  Are they clairvoyant or something?  Could they peer into the future and see SUP's coming their way?
That little statement alone blows the whole article out of the saltwater.  Not that I'm advocating SUPing w/in a bunch of surfers, I don't, but that's not the issue.  
"Reserved" my ass.

That mag tries to appeal to the groms anyway, I grew out of it long ago.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:36:55 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

Worthless

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • JRKenworthy photography
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »
   Hi Guys ,
The guy in the Tahiti photo is Patrice from Tahiti and no he did not make it . got clipped by the lip if i can remember correctly .
I shot the photo that is being discussed. Was hoping to get a few great shots of Patrice that day for my good friends at Infinity but the swell came up super fast . As a staff photographer for Surfer I travel with both a shortboard and a standup , always .
   Have a good one!
JK

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 04:50:09 AM »
I thought the caption was made as an excuse to get a cool photo in the mag. Almost everytime I go to a popular location to SUP some shortboarder tells me that they have one at home or inquire about the board. There's a growing number of "closet" SUPing goin on!

I am astounded by the number of ads in Surfer. I don't mind the ads that have beautiful waves and backgrounds. It's the graffiti/ collage boardshort ads with some duffus looking 19 year old that need to be pulled. Hell, I've worn Duck Head shorts and a belt to surf. So, I find myself looking at The Surfer Journal now a days for beautiful waves and exotic locations. The surfer riding the waves in most shots is only for scale. Who cares who they are or what contest they won. Just show me how steep or big the wave is and let me day dream.

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Maybe SURFER was pointing out, in a very subtle way, that SUP's are not just for small mushy waves. And that the reality of the situation is that SUP is here to stay. Most of their reader base is still very anti-SUP, so they have to tread lightly on this subject.

I have been a loyal reader of SURFER since 1964. I used to keep issues for years. These days, I usually throw it in trash after one quick read.

Richard
Atlantic Beach, NC

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:13:48 AM »
Maybe SURFER was pointing out, in a very subtle way, that SUP's are not just for small mushy waves. And that the reality of the situation is that SUP is here to stay. Most of their reader base is still very anti-SUP, so they have to tread lightly on this subject.

Nope. Because if Surfer was telling that demographic that SUP was cool (or at least encouraging diversity in a wave riding vehicle), every prepubescent kid would have a paddle in their hands. Instead of showing the next set roll through with a guy pulled into a pit (no jetski required), they show him skirting the "meat", more of a "run boy, run" comment than anything.

So thanks for making 2 stroke cool, but anything you do under your own power kooky. Back country skiing suffers the same rap, with trustafarians brapping it up on sleds. But who gives a shit? More for me...

If it was what they intended, Im pretty shocked at the state of professional writers these days...

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Oh my gosh that is so true! I have a subscription for surfer mag that came with my 11 year old's surf camp last summer (it just keeps coming month after month). It is HYSTERICAL! Glamor boys. Guys with the sun glinting in their hair. Reminds me of prince rupert in Shrek! We toss it immediately!

Listen, the few editors over there did the same thing to Body Boarding in the 80's. They helped nearly kill that sport. BUT when you are the type of water athlete that knows the struggle with yourself discovered by engaging your core in a feisty wind with board and paddle you have NOTHING to worry about. You are an individual like no other out there on the water. YOU aren't going anywhere. I mean really. SUP'rs are a special breed. And I say that as a kayaker who SUB's!

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »

Nope. Because if Surfer was telling that demographic that SUP was cool (or at least encouraging diversity in a wave riding vehicle), every prepubescent kid would have a paddle in their hands. Instead of showing the next set roll through with a guy pulled into a pit (no jetski required), they show him skirting the "meat", more of a "run boy, run" comment than anything.

So thanks for making 2 stroke cool, but anything you do under your own power kooky. Back country skiing suffers the same rap, with trustafarians brapping it up on sleds. But who gives a shit? More for me...

If it was what they intended, Im pretty shocked at the state of professional writers these days...

The fact that Surfer ran a two page ad spread tells me that even if they don't dig sup they'll sell ad space for it.  Think back,  would any of us even be doing this if Laird hadn't been shown doing it in Surfer mag and other media?  Food for thought.  Me,  not to sound selfish,  but I'm glad most surfers think it's lame.

Surferden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:54 AM »
So, Surfer Mag thinks it's ok to have jetskis in the lineup at Teahupoo, but a guy with a paddle is bad. got it.

or is tow-in surfing really wakeboarding or is it surfers who cant paddle  :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:12:44 AM by Surferden »

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
All the hate and bickering hasn't changed the shape or frequency of waves as far as I can tell. They can go on chattering it don't make a difference in the water.

Just as fun to SUP now as ever.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal