Author Topic: Start Digging  (Read 9437 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Start Digging
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »
Quote from surfer mag June 2010 page 134.

"For those of you frustrated by the proliferation of stand-up-paddlers at breaks that have historically been reserved for oar-free surfing, we present this photo from Teahupoo's opening day of a sweeper scratching for his life."

Picture is of a guy paddling out for the shoulder on a big swell. 

I think this is crap and just feeding the fires of conflict. Come on surfer get your head out of your a$$ and recognize surfing is about wave riding, and not about whether your oar is your hands or something else.

What's your thoughts?

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Start Digging
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »
I say don't worry about it.  Just pick up a copy of Standup Journal, SUP or Standup Paddle Journal. 

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
Agree, let it roll off the back. I don't care for it either but a reaction will surely only prove to full the fire. Kill them with Aloha.

Cheers.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »
Just pick up a copy of Standup Journal, SUP or Standup Paddle Magazine

Fixed that for you.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
i cant figure this out, so many pros s u p and im sure people working at surfer s u p if not most on the staff. why not embrace it  and get more readers in this time of economic hardship and print dying off.  back in the 80s and early 90s they had whole articles on bodyboarding? id cancel my subscription if i had one.  magazine has sucked since steve hawk left.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
So, Surfer Mag thinks it's ok to have jetskis in the lineup at Teahupoo, but a guy with a paddle is bad. got it.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
Bitter clingers...

Surfing, Surfer, TWS are not surf magazines.  They are fashion magazines that use surfing to sell stuff, period.  They put out a swimsuit issue this year for God's sake!  Surfing is cool, on the edge... etc.  They want the coveted demographic... to sell cool, on the edge stuff to this demo...  They need to rage against the machine... standup is perceived as the machine... the dads... the guys with coin... the guys who can write a sentence and only get one word incorrect... To keep their rebel cred (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha) they need to rage against the machine... expect them to continue raging all of the way through their Chapter 7 liquidations.

But people are buying less and less of the stuff that they sell in the mag's... How many shops does Billabong now run because the retailers couldn't move merchandise?  I went to buy WATER magazine last year... what, it's out of business???

We are at a tipping point ... the magazinge that can cross the brige and appeal to ALL surfers will prosper... the ones that don't will go away, shrink, merge... or be bought out by a clothing company or group of clothing companies (maybe... think about it... just cut out the middle man!).  Which mag will innovate and lead the way?  Surfer's Path?  TSJ?  Or, will an SUP magazing cross-over, show powerful surfers, beautiful surfing... and not kiss the a** to the WCT or whatever it is called now?  Besides, in the age of the internet, who gets ASP / WCT information from the magazines????? Don't we all just go to Surfline?

Maybe they can pull a Newsweek, downsize, devalue their brand, then put themselves on the block ... (change from news to left of center opinion... now, bleeding cash, with a huge falloff in add pages, the Washington Post put them on the block... but who wants to buy such a devalued brand...)

Interesting times my friends, interesting times!

Surf hard!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »
your are right on tim,,, as i see it they are the system, they are the establishment.... stand up is new and not liked and i guess its cool to hate on us. this is a surfing revolution and we have the surfers with the balls to back it up. just to be out at chops on a stand up is sick. plus the way i see it, it takes guts to stand up while everyone is laying down.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
Does anyone that surfs buy surfing magazines? What do they get from them? I pick them up on the newsstands from time to time and all I see are personality profiles of guys (and a few gals) that look fundamentally like and apparently do all the same things because the profiles are virtually identical. Then a bunch of pictures of boards that look, well, a lot like the board pictures in the previous magazine. And a lot like every other shortboard or longboard that I've ever seen.

Honestly, I'd rather read Vanity Fair, and I gag pretty continuously when I read VF.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
Does anyone that surfs buy surfing magazines? What do they get from them? I pick them up on the newsstands from time to time and all I see are personality profiles of guys (and a few gals) that look fundamentally like and apparently do all the same things because the profiles are virtually identical. Then a bunch of pictures of boards that look, well, a lot like the board pictures in the previous magazine. And a lot like every other shortboard or longboard that I've ever seen.

Honestly, I'd rather read Vanity Fair, and I gag pretty continuously when I read VF.

this is awesome. i feel the same way. i have never bought a surfing magazine or ever had the desire to. i'd rather spend my money elsewhere instead of looking at pictures of people and ugly a$$ clothing. plus, i really don't give a turd about professional surfer whoever's profile, likes/dislikes. who cares?!

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »
I have been reading surfer since grom days.  Over the years I thought surfer mag represented surfing better than the others until say they went glamor style.  When my 3 yr subscription expires I doubt if I will renew.

Right on Tim - hope the folks at the mag sees your post.

I don't mind letting crap roll but come on surfing a wave was traditionally done by body surfers and then the sport changed but surfing is surfing. Should not matter what you choose to ride or how you get in. Tom points out the double standard with tow ins as surfer seems to endorse a wave entry technique that basically has to have a clear lineup to embrace safely. Forget the fact that the tow in guys took the wave long before it got to the guys in the traditional lineup.

Do you think the guy paddling made it over the shoulder?

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
Agree 100% w/ Tim and Bill.  I started surfing in 1965.  I could not wait to get my hands on the new Surfer each month. Yes ,  they had clothing ads in the early mags too.  There was good content in the magazine though as far as great pics, stories, etc.  The percentage of ads to content then was way different.  I check Surfing and Surfer from time to time these days. It's pathetic what it's come too.  I remember back when I started that surfing was really kind of a rebel type of thing. Surfers were percieved as not responsible and prone to trouble. It was not " mainstream".     Now days   EVERYBODY SURFS   and,     deja vu,     I'm again a "rebel"  for riding my SUP.    Ah,   the "good old days "  are right now....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »
I just bought the Popular Science app for my iPad because I heard it was where magazines will be going. a lot to get used to, but holy smokes. I smell paper moldering. Interesting that in a rich format like this, advertising seems even more intrusive because it doesn't fit the format--it's not cool enough. Advertisers will have to accommodate the medium and I doubt any magazine app could be successful if it's too stuffed with ads. Then again, with no printing, paper, or distribution costs they probably don't have to be.

Not sure that I'm up for the effort, but I'm going to take a look at building Ke Nalu this way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
your are right on tim,,, as i see it they are the system, they are the establishment.... stand up is new and not liked and i guess its cool to hate on us. this is a surfing revolution and we have the surfers with the balls to back it up. just to be out at chops on a stand up is sick. plus the way i see it, it takes guts to stand up while everyone is laying down.

Isn't the irony amazing!  THEY are the establishment pretending to be the rebels... (what is the market cap of Volcom??? how many thousand boards did Matt Biolos sell last year???) this state of affairs is ALWAYS the result when the establishment recognizes and capitalizes on the fact that money can be made from the rebels... and by selling the rebels style to the masses... (hence the rebels solowly morphing into the masses...)

We are the mother******* rebels now bitch*s!  (don't know why wrote that... it just felt good)

Enjoy it... revel in it... soak it up... because the only thing that is constant is change...

Tim

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
TWSurf is printed by the same magazine company that I work for. One of the editors is BIG into SUP, from what I understand. Is their magazine going to be taking a SUP-friendly attitude? I doubt it... their core audience wants that edgy, shortboarding-is-cool attitude. Remember, their job is to make magazines that their readers want to read, despite personal sentiments... my impression from talking to them is that they're actually pretty SUP-friendly when it comes down to sharing space in the waves.

Anyhoo. I would expect some of the surf rags that are marketed to older crowds to be a little friendlier towards SUP in the future - especially if they think they can pull some ad dollars in from SUP advertisers.

PonoBill, would love to chat with you about the iPad apps face-to-face this summer. I have my likes and dislikes about the PopSci product (also one of our products.) I've been spending some time talking to the developers - they've got some great UI changes coming down the line, and I think the app is going to improve substantially. Speaking off, I will be in Hood River after the Pistol River event, from June 21-Aug 1 or so. Let's paddle and sail!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal