Author Topic: THIS was bound to happen: Cross Training on land.  (Read 34978 times)

Blane Chambers

Re: THIS was bound to happen: Cross Training on land.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
More visuals....

Austin sets tire pressure...

When we got there it was like arriving at a surf spot and it was firing...   Everybody anxious to get out there!    Kahuna Sticks, Carveboards and skateboards ready to charge...    Some bodies hit the pavement soon after this shot was taken!! :o

When we pulled up to this hill I this is what I saw.   A perfect, rippable, 8' wave that tapered down to a super fun 2-4' section that you could pump down the line till your legs burned.    Its all in your minds eye.
Bottom turning carrying the speed...

Off the top in the bowl...

Noah charging on a skateboard...

Beautiful pic of Noah in full rip it up mode... Fresh wounds didn't even phase him...

To much fun when a truck shuttles you back up the hill...

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
Cool stuff. I tried one of those Carve Boards about a month ago and gave it back because the one they gave me was for lighter riders and it flexed WAY too much with my FAT ASS on it... did you guys use the heavier version of it? Also, tough to find good deserted hills here in SD...

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
My friend and I used to do that late at night in the back of Kalama valley when there were no cars.  He had a carveboard that we installed mountainboard handbrakes on and I had a MBS mountainboard with handbrakes.  It's fun to do it in a neighborhood because you can carve up into each driveway and cutback like on a wave.  We used to go with two cars and leave one at the bottom.  We had some pretty good routes that went super long with all kinds of defferent sections and hills on the same run.  When you do the neighborhood streets, you can carve way up into the cross streets as well because they are banking upwards like the driveways but are much wider.  I ended up giving my board to that friend because he would always be borrowing afterwards.

Byronmaui

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
Love the off the top of the bowl sequence and how the bamboo stick flexes just like in the water.....I will never look at pavement the same..... :) :) :)

Should have one vid up tonight and will post on this thread.

Lates

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
Cool stuff. I tried one of those Carve Boards about a month ago and gave it back because the one they gave me was for lighter riders and it flexed WAY too much with my FAT ASS on it... did you guys use the heavier version of it? Also, tough to find good deserted hills here in SD...

Pretty sure they were big boy versions.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
John, they were the heavy ones that don't flex very much.    For sure the ones we use could handle your weight.     They are slow and solid feeling.   Not built for speed.   Built for heavy pushing in turns.       I prefer it over the one made for my weight which is very flexy feeling.     I like the more solid feel...     I think Noah could definetly use one of the lighter versions...

It's all about the feel...   Man it feels good!

Byronmaui

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »
These are the shakedown rides at Haliewa and Baby queens. I failed a little on filming the good stuff cause got caught up in the moment and put the video camera away. Allen Mozo shot the good stuff later. Please understand most of us were doing this for the first time or riding for less than a month but ya catch the drift........Fun................. ;D ;D.......The song was perfect for the vid... ;) ;) ;)

Waimea vid is next.... ;D ;D

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »
A little more training at queens and haliewa then it is off to Waimea on a small day..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aloha

Byron

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
Nice.. Thanks for the vids Byron..  :)

DJ

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
Byron- that second video is really cool! I like the angle from up top... you guys are getting me all excited to give this another shot- especially since it seems like the big boy model will work for us.... big boys! Thanks!

Byronmaui

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Make sure you wear protective gear cause carnage is easy. One slip and it happens.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Instead of adding wax for grip to the Kahuna Big Stick I decided to use this.. Will find out how it works

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:20 AM »
Wow! Haven't been on here awhile, mainly lurk once in awhile. I saw the title and totally forgot that I started this thread. The I see the pics....   They totally make you see a different perspective as to how this could be fun. Equipment, mainly the pneumatic wheels and carve board makes a difference. I tried it with my longboard skateboard and a bamboo with an old skateboard wheel glued to the end, but kinda got over it as going fast on the skateboard and not being able to do hard turns without sliding out or getting out of control was not there for me. Now gotta get me the real set up. Yeah, Big Island has a lot of insane hills. Thinking, Mauna Kea..LOL! That would be nuts, like riding Waimea or something.

Byronmaui

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
Small note..........Only person sponsored by Kahuna is my son and all equipment is purchased through retail........We don't make a penny if anything is bought. The only thing we gain is memories to last forever.

Aloha

Byron

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »
Yeah, Big Island has a lot of insane hills. Thinking, Mauna Kea..LOL! That would be nuts, like riding Waimea or something.

exactly!  Saddle Road got some nice spots, especially since they fixed the road...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill