Author Topic: THIS was bound to happen: Cross Training on land.  (Read 34966 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: THIS was bound to happen: Cross Training on land.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »
These things are big fun on any longboard - skateboard.  You can lean way into your carve with the stick.  I made one out of a windsurf mast and two rollerblade wheels I got at a sporting goods store.  Very fun on the hills...

That's a great vid Blane.

Just wondering.. Do the wheels at the end of the stick turn?.. if so.. how do you get any push from them?.. By pushing on them sideways?

DJ

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »
No turn, just rubber stoppers

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »
Honolii...   Hilo would be unreal for this set up!!!!   So many perfect hills.     We were talking about flying over one day to do just this!!  BC

If you go, you have to let me know. I recently got a Loaded Vanguard carving longboard and it's a mindblower. Haven't tried it with a Kahuna stick yet but if you are saying it works, I'm down to try. Between the wind, shitty surf, and my job, I haven't been able to get in the water as much as I should and I need an alternative.

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
Honolii...   Hilo would be unreal for this set up!!!!   So many perfect hills.     We were talking about flying over one day to do just this!!  BC

I agree... plenty good hills.  If anyone is in need of an extra Carve Board on the BI, I have one at my Hilo house collecting dust right now.  I'll probably bring it back to San Diego this summer though...

Blane Chambers

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
I made a quick teaser.    This will be up for a little while then I'll have a much better one finished.    I'll replace this one...    Same tunes as an old vid with some old surfing footage.    Man, hands down the Carveboard with Kahuna Bamboo Big Stick is as close to the real thing as you can get on dry land!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:51:02 AM by Blane Chambers »

Byronmaui

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
Looks like fun with the carveboard...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
Big Mahalo to Byron and his wife Reyna (sp?). Thanks for picking us up and showing us the cool spots to Carveboard on. I had an awesome time. I may need reconstructive surgery on my shoulder but it was worth it ha ha. For the over 35 crowd, go with a Carveboard if you want to ride hills. Bombing on a regular skateboard on the first run is a bad idea.

Also, it was great to meat all your friends and Noah. What an awesome kid! He's got a lot of talent and a great attitude. He'll be successful in surfing and in life.

Byronmaui

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »
Total blast today....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....

Tony (Superman) it was a pleasure skating with you and look forward to the other adventures Blane convinces us are harmless..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Blane, Austin, Tony and Allen Mozo decided to do some land paddling on Maui and it was fun despite the carnage and road rash that some had. I planned on videoing the whole event but got caught up in the action and Blane egging me to go. Well I went and did some fun runs..I do have some action caught and will post once I put together.

Thanks Ned and Bryan for driving around and chasing Blane's crazy adventures. I cannot wait to see the pics Allen Mozo and Blane caught. Should be fun and thanks guys for creating another memory that will forever remain.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. My wife Rayna was a tropper and did a great job driving us up and down hills.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
Big Mahalos to Byron, Noah, Rayna and friends!!!    Travis, Bruce, Bryan, Ned you guys unreal...    So fun and a special time to remember...    I have never flown to another island to do something like this before.   $28 airfares made it really sweet!     Here are some pics I took.   I didn't get many.   I can't wait to see Allen Mozos shots.   He had his good camera and he was all over the place shooting everyone!

Byron caught on real fast and was carving it up.     Once everyone forgets skateboarding and visualizes surfing or snowboarding it comes easy!

Byron carving a nice bottom turn...

Byron and Bryan mixing it up...

Noah picked it up real fast to.   He was nailing some turns...   Allen got some good pics of him I'm sure.   

Tony Dakine a.k.a. Superman got into the Carveboard too.   I think a Carveboard purchase is in his near future!

Check out the hand brake on the board he was using...

Austin was laying some really nice lines...   

Austin lays into it as Allen Mozo gets the shot!

Allen Mozo was drawing really stylish lines.     He looked super smooth flowing through turns...  Here he skims his hand on the water....

Beautiful lines...

Allens impression of a Gerry Lopez bottom turn while following Noah...

Classic!

The shuttle back to the top with Tony, Allen, Byron and Bryan stoked.

More on this epic fun time to come!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:58:18 PM by Blane Chambers »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Looks great.. Fantastic pics.. thanks.

DJ

Paddle Hard

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »
Howzit,

I had fun today cruizing with u guys (and gals) today. Showed my son the skateboard on line when I got home, and he wants one. I think I'll buy for him, and for me. Didn't realize that I have a intermediate hill right in front of my house to practice on.

Aloha,

NK

Byronmaui

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 12:15:18 AM »

If you go, you have to let me know. I recently got a Loaded Vanguard carving longboard and it's a mindblower. Haven't tried it with a Kahuna stick yet but if you are saying it works, I'm down to try. Between the wind, shitty surf, and my job, I haven't been able to get in the water as much as I should and I need an alternative.
[/quote]

Forget mind blower Tony it's a shoulder blower... ;D ;D ;D

Great pics Blane. Can't wait to see Allen's shots of you. You fricken ripped...I will get the vid up soon.

Mahalos

Byron

Blane Chambers

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Yesterday was sooooo much fun!    We were driving there and the wind was just whipping.   Waves were small and blown out but we didn't care one bit because we were heading to perfection.      The Carveboard has nothing to do with speed.    Its ALL about laying it over on rail just like real surfing.     The amount of weight and pressure you can put into it are mind blowing.    Skate wheels are good at going fast.    Carveboard wheels are good at gripping the pavement so you can simulate surf type moves.     BTW, Carveboard don't give me nuthin for saying these things.     It's just an insane product that can help your surfing get better that I am stoked to share with people.   Add in the Kahuna Bamboo Big Stick and it is just an unreal simulation of SUP performance surfing!

This is a perfect example of how insane a Carveboard can grip the road.   Austin is around 225 or so lbs.   He puts all his weight AND pushes off to power through this turn.    No skate wheels ever made would allow such a thing!   

Byron lays into a surf style bottom turn with confidence.    It is by far the closest thing to real surfing power turns you could ever do on dry land.    Just way to much fun!!!

Its insane that you can practice a turn so many times over and over.    The mechanics of that move are identical to real surfing so you are able to transfer it over when its time.     This keeps you sharp when you do go back to hit the waves...
In Byron's mind, he is surfing!   Off the bottom at Honolua Bay? ;)   I never knew Byron had such a solid, flowing style till yesterday...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:04:48 AM by Blane Chambers »

Byronmaui

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
The slippah club rules..... ;D ;D......Of course Austin and I were the only members... :) :)

Here is the buzz that I got out of this whole event after decompressing from all that happened on Sunday was "Open your eyes" to all the possibilities that exist. Sure some are not willing to do the carveboard and that is cool but try different exercises to improve your SUP skills but more importantly keep your body conditioned for a longer life.

I know some people are thinking were force feeding something and that is not the case it's just sharing the stoke for SUP that we have and opening your mind can be a wonderful thing at least for me. Plus you gain memories forever etched in your mind that you can pull and laugh at or smile about and this is a big part of our journey in life. One of the best parts was reliving the fun at lunch and trying to share them here.

Have fun and share the stoke.

Aloha

Byron

gidget

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Hey everyone,

All of us here are Kahuna Creations just wanted to extend a warm thanks and are so stoked to see how how much everyone is loving our gear. The photos and videos are amazing and we can't wait to see more! Everyone looks so great! Much mahalo.

The crew at Kahuna Creations

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal