Author Topic: 12'6" Boards and Sustained Speed  (Read 12073 times)

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12'6" Boards and Sustained Speed
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:34 AM »
Can't wait to see DavidJohn's full report on the surfRace! I think the idea of perfecting a 12'6" to go fast in lots of conditions from flat to open ocean is very appealing to alot of SUP owners.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:39:51 AM by paddledaddy »

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
Here's a couple of pics of a new Aussie made 12'6" flatwater race board.

DJ

Those DC boards look fast and with nice paint/graphics. Also the Lahuikai boards have cool looking paint schemes.

Marksride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
We just did a MAX SPEED test of the Starboard Surf Race & Free Race as well as the Jimmy Lewis Slice.

Results: Surf Race & Free Race = 7.3 mph, JL Slice = 6.9 mph

The Surf Race remains at higher speeds for longer periods, with the Free Race close behind.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
How did you perform these tests?  Just with the same paddler over timed distances? GPS?

Marksride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
We used a Garmin foretrex 201GPS. Dead flat conditions, no current inside a bay with two similar paddlers switching  back and forth taking multiple runs along the same route. Rod was able hit 7.3 mph 2 out of 3 passes on the Surf Race and I was able to hit 7.0 mph 2 out of 3 passes. My previous best on the JL Slice was 6.7 mph, Rod hit 6.9 mph. Rod also hit 7.3 mph 1 time out of 3 passes with the Free Race. It was clear which board can be brought up to max speed fastest, what is not clear is how overall stability will play out over varied conditions. More news on this after our race this coming weekend.

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
so exactly what is the defintion of "sustained"?? Just curious as to how long (in seconds) your GPS is averaging the "sustained" speed over time, most GPS systems are tagging and locking top  or max speed, but that is different from avg speed. Is the top sustained speed marked over distance, time or a combo of the two? and what are those variables?

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »
avg speed is what matters in a race.  you can have a top speed of 7 or 8 and still come in last.

Marksride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
avg speed is what matters in a race.  you can have a top speed of 7 or 8 and still come in last.

I agree 100%! Sustained/average speed is what counts most. Max speed counts most when you are sprinting to the finish line!

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
BWDave and I did a morning recreational paddle a couple of days ago. I was on the Starboard Surf Race and Dave was on the Starboard Pin. Not a race, just a brisk early morning paddle, calm conditions.

Distance 6.42 miles, average speed 4.53 mph, easily maintained speed including grabbing a drink and chatting all the way. The Surf Race doesn't 'feel' fast because it pushes a bit of water but is impressively easy to maintain good speeds on.

Zimbo

• Waikiki Status
  • Zimbabwean living in Aus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »
The Surf Race doesn't 'feel' fast because it pushes a bit of water but is impressively easy to maintain good speeds on.

Agree 110% Jonathan. 

When I paddled the New the sustained glide was very noticable especially when when changing sides paddling. On the Pin you could feel the loss of glide/speed when changing, but on the New that loss of glide/speed was not as apparent.

I really think this board (the New) gets its glide from its tail design because the bow does seem to push more water than a slicing bow design.  All I can think of is if maybe the board would be too unstable if it had a pointed bow and tail?

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 07:30:31 AM »
Hey Marksride:
Can you rate the stability of the 3 boards you tested? I have been on the slice and got slowed down in sidechop because of stability issues.  If I purchase a surf race or free race I wouldn't want it to be less stable than a slice.
Thanks.

Marksride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »
Hey Marksride:
Can you rate the stability of the 3 boards you tested? I have been on the slice and got slowed down in sidechop because of stability issues.  If I purchase a surf race or free race I wouldn't want it to be less stable than a slice.
Thanks.

For stability (scale 10 most stable - 1 least) I would rate the Free Race - 9. Slice - 8. Surf Race - 6. The Free Race 29" should be stable up to 180lbs, above that I would switch to the 31" version. The Slice just takes a little more getting used to with it's rounded rails, but is very stable when powered up. The Surf Race is much more sensitive in side swell/wind and requires more focus, but it's fast. Hope this helps.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »
Hmmm. Not what I was hoping for on the stability of the Surf Race. I was hoping for a tad bit more stability than the Jimmy but it's understandable at 26". Thanks.

Kiwi-SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
I can concur on the stability challenges on the SurfRace in side swell. I had a shocker doing a attempted downwinder - the wind switch round from a NW to an ENE and had me battling to stay on for 13km. I can't blame it all on the board as that was my first time out on the SurfRace and I was fatigued from a 2hr swim training session a few hours before. What it highlighted for me was a need to improve my balance overall. I still think I will get a SurfRace as when I had a try in calmer conditions it was amazing - picked up the smallest runners.
Quiver: 9'5 wide point Carbon, SB 12' Big Easy, SB 9'8 Element, SB 14' ACE, Dale Chapman Custom Carbon DC14Pro, SB BOP 12'6 Prototype, Art n Surf 12'6 Matero Carbon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal