Author Topic: SUP vs "regular" longboard  (Read 26385 times)

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
SUP vs "regular" longboard
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
How much faster is a surf oriented SUP than say a longboarder and what advantages/disadvantages does a SUP have over a regular longboard?

Thinking of making the switch, but not yet convinced.

thanks,

j

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP vs "regular" longboard
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:33:14 PM »
If I understand you questions, I'd say the advantage depends on the wave and the situation. There are times when I know that I would catch more waves if I was on my longboard than if I was on my SUP, other times, not so much. When the waves are breaking harder or more 'peaky' it is easier to 'turn'n'burn' on a longboard. When the waves are slower breaking, I can get more waves and get in earlier on the SUP. I can also see the swell coming and get into position easier on the SUP due to the better view I get standing up.

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
Plain and simple. You will get more water time on a standup then a long board. Flat water paddles are fun down wind paddles are fun and we have not even touched on surfing yet.  I know everyday i can standup paddle waves or not.

Try it you will like it. But be prepared its addictive

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
I think it's real important to understand that you do not have to switch!  However, as you can see on this forum a stand up is an awesome addition to your quiver.  You can continue to longboard, shortboard, paddle your OC1, etc.

Plus you are coming into the sport right at the end of the "bleeding" edge phase; there is almost too much good stuff to choose from.  Pick a SUB up and it will improve just about everything else you do (ask River :o) . . .

g shepherd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
. . . you do not have to switch! . . .

Agreed. My SUP has elbowed its way in between my traditional paddleboard and my longboard. When the surf is happening I am on a regular board. When it's small I SUP, usually cross-country-- sampling waves here and there over a 2 - 4 mile stretch of coast.

I had the chance to do a side-by-side comparison a couple weeks ago when I switched boards with a guy in what I would normally call fun longboard waves: glassy, thigh-high peelers. I felt really slow on his longboard. With a paddle, you're in earlier, have the extra umph to make sections, and the cutbacks and re-directs are much more effortless.

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
One hour sup-surfing without getting my wig wet!  :D

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
Yes Kaweeka your right :o  it can change your life and the people you meet and the experiences you have. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:18:35 AM »
I can no longer find surf thats better for my longboard than my SUPs.
In mellow waves I ride the Laird 11ft which catches more waves,noserides and glides better than the longboards.
On bombies and reefs or larger waves I ride the 10ft Jimmy which catches the waves earlier and is as loose as any mini longboard.
The only time I ride the longboards is on the way to work as the board holder I had built into my tool truck is not wide enough for a SUP.

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice folks...looks like I'll be buying yet another board.

j

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
I go both ways, SUP and Longboard. Having fun is what its all about, no matter what I ride.  I'm lucky to have a quiver of both Longboard surfboards and SUP boards. 

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:56 AM »

Longboard carrier built into tool truck.
More play less work.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:26:35 AM by Admin »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal