Author Topic: Naish Nalu 9'6 vs 9'  (Read 13885 times)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Nalu 9'6 vs 9'
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:07 PM »
both of these Naish boards, the nalu 9'6 and the 9'0 look great and just the kind of board i'm looking for.
my dillema is which of the two sizes to choose ?
i'm light (around 163 lbs) but ride in usually weak, mushy and choppy wind waves. i would think that the 9'6 would be better suited to my usual water conditions and the 9'0 might better suit my weight.
any input would be greatly apreciated...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Naish Nalu 9'6 vs 9'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
Are you aware the 9'0 is only 26 wide?

Pretty radical at your weight, unless you're super human. I'd say 9'6, even though I've never seen one  ;)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:43:41 PM »
although i never tried the 9'0 nalu and am sure it would be quite tippy, i don't have that much of a problem with narrow/tippy boards.
my Jimmy Lewis 9'8 is 27" wide and i'm comfortable on that. my 18' Bark is 26" wide and is much tippier than the JL due to it's rounder bottom shape. among other things, that board is great training for ballance...

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »
It goes without saying but, if at all possible, get your hands on both boards to demo before you sink the $$ into one of them. But more importantly, try out the 9’0 at a minimum. For the conditions you describe, 26” width will be a real challenge for a while. “Weak, mushy and choppy wind waves” may directly translate into a lot of falls while waiting for waves and limited glide for catching the waves. Once you’re on the wave you will certainly be rewarded which helps make up for the kooky falls earlier. This is nothing that can’t be overcome and will certainly benefit your overall ability, but do you have the time and patience for it. I say this because I have a very good friend who spent the first 3-days of our last surf trip frustrated because he made a similar leap with his new SUB, but in the end he really found a great board and now surfs it more than half the time.

The length of the board is a really nice size and will serve you very well from the cleanest of days to semi-chop, but the width has the potential to limit it to those perfect days. 26 inches is quite different with little or no forward momentum to provide stability than the 26 inches of your Bark at speed. Demo it, if you think it’s manageable, GO FOR IT!

Cheers!

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
I hear you!  I would love to try out that 9' nalu to see how something that narrow would feel.  Let me know if you ever get to try one out. 

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
Hi Woody,
thanks for your advice, it makes perfect sence.
in Greece it's pretty hard to demo most boards, let alone a 9' nalu which almost no one here has the level to ride.
like you say it's not so much the surfing that's hard but all that's in between. choppy messed up seas with no channel and waves comming at you non stop when you paddle back out make for some pretty good ballance training...
as a bit of a masochist who likes to push himself, i'll probably end up getting a 9' and have an initial hard time. of course it will only make me better over time.
will let you know how i go...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
Not sure if you've seen this or not.. It's Matt on his 9.0 Nalu.. He loves it.. btw he's about 87kg (200 lbs)

You can send Matt a PM and ask him about his 9.0.. His user name is All Rounder..

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=5938.msg52725#msg52725

DJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswsUtt1--E&feature=player_embedded#!

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
Well if that video dosen't make you buy the 9'0 nothing will!

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
Rockin video ! thanks DJ !
i don't think i need to pm him after seeing that. his riding says more than enough and i'm sure his opinion would be very positive.
if he can ride it at his weight, then so can i in my rodeo conditions. all it will take is some determination and the ability to leave my ego on the beach (at least the first times).
thanks to everyone for your great input.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
Please let me know if anyone gets any feedback on that 9' Nalu.  I am very interested in that board but I can't find out any feedback.  I'm anxiously waiting to hear anything on this board.  I'd love it if someone in So. Cal would do a demo day for me to try it out.  It's hard to find anyone locally that has that board in stock.  I'd like to even just see it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal