Author Topic: Looking for some pictures of a Kialoa handle  (Read 3055 times)

morturio

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for some pictures of a Kialoa handle
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
I am in the process of buying my first board to be used almost exclusively on lakes and large rivers with a few days a year on the ocean.  I have narrowed my choices to a Naish 12 or 14 Glide. 

I am trying to figure out which paddle I want to buy with it.  My father has a carbon fiber paddle that I think is from SurfTech.  I like the hand grip and the ovalized shaft.  The paddles I am most interested in are the Quickblade Kanaha and the Kialoa Shaka Puu as they sound like good paddles for the flat water paddling I will be doing.  My understanding is that the Quickblade had a round shaft but the handle I like while the Kialoa has the ovalized shaft but a T handle that I am unfamiliar with.  I have looked online to find some good close up shots of the handle but have come up empty.

Would anyone be willing to take some shots of their Kialoa handle and post them here?  Does anyone have any stories (pro or con) about hand numbness or issues from using this handle?

Also, I have been using a cheap paddle that my dad picked up locally for the last week or so and have noticed some tenderness in my left elbow.  Anyone have an idea what this might be about and if either of the two paddles I mentioned might help reduce that strain?

Thanks in advance for your time and information.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Looking for some pictures of a Kialoa handle
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
The handle looks just like it sounds, a T grip.  The Kialoa site has the whole paddle for your viewing pleasure.

Personally, I like the T-grip on the Kialoa's.  I have the Methane and the Shaka Puu.  I find the T flows nicely from hand to hand when I'm switching sides.  I seem to find my grip easily during the transition.  I've had no wrist pains and I my wrist naturally stays straight in line with my forearm when I grip.  I didn't have this same feel with the F50 on my QB Kahana.  I have a Werner Advantage with an ergo handle.  There handle feels very comfortable, but I don't use this paddle much.  I think because I started with the Kialoa first, it feels best to me.  I"m sure if I started with a different paddle/handle, that would feel best over others.  Just my opinion.  I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

morturio

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the paddle dilemna. 

I have been to the Kialoa site and it does have some pictures of the paddle as a whole but no real close up on the handle.  The site talks about a uni-directional ergo t handle which sounds to me different than the t grip handle I have used on a canoe paddle.  That is why I was curious what it looks like. 

The nearest Kialoa dealer is over 300 miles away and if I spend that kind of gas money to go see it, I'm pretty committed to buying one and would be better off ordering direct.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:14:31 AM »
How close do you want...  ;D

DJ

morturio

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:45 AM »
DJ, you are awesome!

Thanks for providing an informative and helpful reply to another one of my questions.

I really enjoy and appreciate your pic's and videos as well as your willingness to share your knowledge.

Have a great day.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:17 AM »
Thanks mate.. and no-probs..  :)

DJ

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
Kialoa all the way. I have the Shaka puu and love it. I was worried about the t handle being comfortable also. I found out that it is and I agree with the comments on easy transitioning from size to side. I feel the shaft is  a great fit for my hand than some of the larger diameter ones Ive owned. I also don't have small hands. I would recommend over quick blade or c4. I've had in past. That is my opinion.. Good luck

morturio

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »
Thanks McNally.  New Puu should be in next week!

kiteboarder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
Thanks so much for this thread... sorry for the revival. I just put some money down on a Kialoa Methane and I was worried about the more simplistic T-handle. Glad people like it. I chose this over a Quick Blade Kanaha, so I was hoping I had made the right decision.

bluecrab

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
I have the methane and I adore the t-handle.  I love the t handle for surfing and bigger blades.  I thought Id dislike it going from werner - ke nalu- qb ergo options as it looked a little simple, but I was blown away after use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal