Author Topic: Optimum Training/Race Paddle, narrowed it to 2...  (Read 3077 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Optimum Training/Race Paddle, narrowed it to 2...
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi guys let me introduce myself to the forum. I'm upgrading to a fitness/training/race paddle that I will use on flat-water. I'm 6'1, weight 165 and ride a 12' Naish Glide.

I've narrowed it down to the C4 XPR Carbon/Kevlar Race Paddle and the Kialoa Nalu.

Out of these 2, which would I benefit most from for these disciplines. Unfortunately it's difficult to demo paddles up here in Seattle that are rare like these 2. Thanks!

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum Training/Race Paddle, narrowed it to 2...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
I know this doesn't answer your question but I would try a quickblade elite.  I have the c4 carbon/kevlar and prefer the qb elite.  I also have some werner spankers, c4 pohaku, and a powerex that I haven't cut down yet.  I have found the weight to trump most anything else.  The qb ihe is interesting but doesn't seem to be widely available yet.  I am on flat water.

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »
I also have the c4 paddle. I had the first generation which had a softer,longer blade. I felt I was loosing some power there and sold it. Then I recently got the newer version of their Kevlar paddle. It has the same shape blade as the normal paddles c4  produces and has the bright Kevlar weave on both the shaft and blade. It is super stiff. The shaft is really large in diameter and I find it less comfortable.
I also have a kialoa Shaka pu. That is their mid sized blade, and the shaft is a little smaller. This is my paddle of choice. This has the best all around sized blade.a bigger blade isn't always better or faster. A smaller size, with a faster cadence is easier on your body and you can react to speed changes quicker.
Good luck. My vote is kialoa 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
I also have the c4 paddle. I had the first generation which had a softer,longer blade. I felt I was loosing some power there and sold it. Then I recently got the newer version of their Kevlar paddle. It has the same shape blade as the normal paddles c4  produces and has the bright Kevlar weave on both the shaft and blade. It is super stiff. The shaft is really large in diameter and I find it less comfortable.
I also have a kialoa Shaka pu. That is their mid sized blade, and the shaft is a little smaller. This is my paddle of choice. This has the best all around sized blade.a bigger blade isn't always better or faster. A smaller size, with a faster cadence is easier on your body and you can react to speed changes quicker.

I agree.. The Kialoa Shaka Pu'u is what I use most and seems about the perfect size.

DJ

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
Out of the 2 you have mentioned - I prefer the C4 XPR.

just my 2¢ - - but that is what you asked for  ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
My 2 cents... the Nalu might be too much blade for your build.  I'm 6'1" 185 lbs and the Shaka Pu is my choice.  Unless you're built like Chuck P. I'd stay away from bigger blades... but that's just me... you will be able to paddle at a higher cadence, with less fatigue & end up going the same speed. 
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »

Mcnally how can someone find if they have the first generation xpr? Or are you thinking of the xpr with carbon shaft = first gen and xpr with kevlar shaft = 2nd gen. Thanks

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses and the 2cents guys...i'm so used to my current (and first paddle) that i've had for over 2 years that has lots of flex that I think i'll stay away from the super stiff 'Elite' paddle. The Shaka Puu looks like another good alternative GreatDane, i think i raced against you at RoundtheRock in '09, nice finish. Looks like a lot more paddlers are using the Shaka Puu rather than the C4 XPR on here, thanks for the input!

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Rastaman, I have to agree with the folks above:  SHAKA PUU!  I have tried just about all of 'em, and this Kialoa was my first paddle and still my favorite!  The oval shaft is great, and blade size is just all around perfect.

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »
Hey Rasta,I'm Seattle area too,Paddle a 12' glide.Just bought a Quick blade 8.3" nice stuff. Like GD says less fatigue.
The Fiberglass blade is 65$ less and only 1 oz heavier than all carbon..I also have a 8.5" c4 thats pretty sweet.
PM me we'll hookup you can try em both
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal