Author Topic: glossy surface has substantially more drag than a matte one.  (Read 43422 times)

wadadli_waterman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: glossy surface has substantially more drag than a matte one.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
One word (or name)......McLube.

Their Sailkote dry lubricant spray has been used by the fastest sailors in the world for years.

Its the high tech equivalent to greased owl poop......no sanding, burning through or staining.

The stuff works.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
One word (or name)......McLube.

Their Sailkote dry lubricant spray has been used by the fastest sailors in the world for years.

Its the high tech equivalent to greased owl poop......no sanding, burning through or staining.

The stuff works.

Is that the Mclube hullkoat ??  Have you used it on Matte finish ?? I've never heard of this stuff. Has anyone else used this ? it looks like the sailors LOVE it for their hulls.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/hullkote/

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
I'm not sanding my board. Speed is not on the top of my priority list.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm not sanding my board. Speed is not on the top of my priority list.

When doing down wind runs , speed IS what we are concerned about. Definitely would not do to a nice glossy surfboard or SUP surf board.

Maybe spray that Mclube sailkoat on it looks like it works
http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »
Sailcoat is for refurbishing old sails and making them handle better. Hullcoat is boat polish. There's a big difference between what works for boats and boards. Unless you leave your board floating in the water all season Hullcoat won't do much for you. It's to keep the algae and gook in the water from sticking to the hull and slowing the boat.

Lightly sanding by hand shouldn't harm your board at all, and it's probably good for a minor increase in performance. Sand a little area, wet all around it and just slide your fingertips across the surface. The sanded section holds the water better and your fingers slide smoothly across, when you hit the glossy area your fingers stop dead.

Most of my boards have a lightly sanded bottom--surfboards too. Makes me feel better, and that's probably about it. All the dings, scratches and pressure dents certainly overcome anything I've done. But there's no reason for a surfboard to have a glossy bottom.

There's always someone selling magic fluid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

wadadli_waterman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
Sailcoat is for refurbishing old sails and making them handle better. Hullcoat is boat polish. There's a big difference between what works for boats and boards. Unless you leave your board floating in the water all season Hullcoat won't do much for you. It's to keep the algae and gook in the water from sticking to the hull and slowing the boat.

Lightly sanding by hand shouldn't harm your board at all, and it's probably good for a minor increase in performance. Sand a little area, wet all around it and just slide your fingertips across the surface. The sanded section holds the water better and your fingers slide smoothly across, when you hit the glossy area your fingers stop dead.

Most of my boards have a lightly sanded bottom--surfboards too. Makes me feel better, and that's probably about it. All the dings, scratches and pressure dents certainly overcome anything I've done. But there's no reason for a surfboard to have a glossy bottom.

There's always someone selling magic fluid.

Yes, lets all listen to Ponos rhetoric based on studying a web site instead of testimonials by persons with practical experience.   This kind of crap always gets my goat but I guess its part of the forum world where the number of posts a person has gives them some kind of clout.

Sailkote is in fact applied on hull surfaces.  Its applied mostly on small dinghys and other racing one designs which in many cases have also been rubbed down with 400 grit...becuase the stuff works.  It really does make a hull quicker through the water and its been around for more than 10 years.  In fact some class associations ban it as its considered a cheat.  I am talking about trailerable boats that don't live in the water with hull sizes, speeds and shapes not unlike SUP downwiners. 

I have applied it to my downwind boards, its a piece of piss to do, and I do notice an appreciable difference.

Pono....give this stuff a chance.  You might wanna consider rubbing some [of this] magic fluid between your ears. ;)

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
Absolutely true.  We learned this years ago w/ windsurfing.  Take a glossy fin and your spinning out, 600 sand it and it's like night and day.  I sand all of my fins with 600 and the bottoms of the boards.  It makes a huge difference.  If you wet sand it doesn't take long at all, you'll see the water attaching to the board and you move on.  Great tip, that somehow wasn't brought up before on this site.  Also alot easier to grab your board in the foam going out then a slick glossy. 

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »
 I get asked again and again why our Nah's have sanded bottoms while the decks are glossed. These boards are made by AHD (Advanced Hull Dynamics) well known in the windsurfing community for great sailboards. They know what works!      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

JustPaddle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
I wonder why Mark R. boards have a glossy bottom?  8)

here's a link with some additional info - http://www.epickayaks.com/news/news/to-wax-or-not-to-wax
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:41:33 PM by JustPaddle »

SUPaholic

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Is it okay to sand down a SUB w/ carbon fiber?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
Is it okay to sand down a SUB w/ carbon fiber?
I'm not an expert on CF, but I wet sanded the gloss finish on the bottom of my carbon Bark.  My uneducated guess is that you are ok as long as you don't sand deep enough to get into the fibers of the carbon...  but wet sanding should just dull the clear coat.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »
Try waxing the bottom of your board with a bar of soap..!
No BS
Beau try it on with your fastest board with your GPS thingie..
only works for a short time .but you'll feel the difference..
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »

here's a link with some additional info - http://www.epickayaks.com/news/news/to-wax-or-not-to-wax

After reading the link above at epic kayaks .com , I'm confused or at the very least back where I started. wondering what works best. Guess it does not matter cause I'm no Olympic caliber paddler.  Just find this topic extremely interesting. I will keep looking for more info on both sides of the fence. hope you guys do to.

Thanks

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:41 AM »

Nearly every hand shaped S.I.C. board I've seen had a sanded bottom, including my F18.  A while back Mark mentioned that only the molded boards he produces have glossy bottoms.  Not sure if that's still true today since it seems like he comes up with new innovations every week.

This is copied from the S.I.C. website (on the F18 page):  "We recommend a light grey primer bottom. It is light, fast and has little friction due to the ultra fine sanded surface."

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
I always wetsanded with 400 grit and then would secretly coat my laser sailboat with Ivory dish soap the night before each day of racing.  I would always try to be one of the last boats in the water as to not have it rinse off too soon.  Maybe it worked or it was just psychological.  All I know is that I would usually finish very well in the first races.  Rounding the first bouy in first place in the first race has its advantages.  That was 30 years ago and I don't need to leave a slimey bubble trail anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal