Author Topic: Paddle Guard, Good or Bad??  (Read 10810 times)

Keau

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle Guard, Good or Bad??
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
I was wondering what you guys think of paddle guards to protect your paddle and board.  Does a paddle guard have a noticable affect on the paddle's performance and efficiency?  Just trying to decide if I should put a paddle guard when I buy a new paddle.  Mahalo.

Pureadrenalin

Re: Paddle Guard, Good or Bad??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
No need waste money and it distorts the paddles true shape cutting through the water. Black tape works the best.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »
OK for surfing, not so great for downwind/race. One nice thing about putting one on a surf paddle is that it keeps you from getting chopped by your own paddle. Also you tend to thrash more surfing so it's more valuable. That said, the side of my F18 looks like someone has been at it with a hatchet, but that's how it goes. Funny it's only on the left side.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Keau

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »
I was told that some guys use mastic tape. What is mastic tape and where can I get it?  Does hardware stores like Home Depot carry it?  Mahalo.

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »
Two layers of black electrical tape work great! It's really easy to apply and will last several sessions before needing replacement.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
I followed the Ninja's advice and went with colored tape.  Ace Hardware carries the 3M brand that seems to be holding up well.  Great for visibility too if you ever lose your paddle. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:20:03 AM »
Use full paddle edging in surf. Or end up like Jim (muscle cut to the bone) http://bluelinepaddlesurf.blogspot.com/2008/11/dry-dock.html

For racing, light tape or nothing.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:35:21 AM »
Paddle Guard, Good or Bad?? ... Bad.. bad.. bad.... IMO... unless it's just a thin tape.

Here's a past post of mine showing how I tape my paddles...  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4084.0

DJ

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:53:21 AM »
i use mastic tape and stretch it pretty thin. so far it has worked wonderfully. not worried about slicing myself with my paddle (even though i know it has happened to some people and caused serious injury) but use it more to protect my board from dings from the paddle. work's great.

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
What about using rail guards instead of paddle guards?

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
What about using rail guards instead of paddle guards?

It wrinkles up and doesnt look very good.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
Paddle Guard, Good or Bad?? ... Bad.. bad.. bad.... IMO... unless it's just a thin tape.

Here's a past post of mine showing how I tape my paddles...  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4084.0

DJ

That's exactly what I've been doing on my paddles since day 1 with zero issues.  Of course I have epoxy boards that can take a serious beating.

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »
What happened to Jim (Blueline) and how would the paddle guard have made a difference?

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
Automobile car door edge guard works well for me, it's cheap and has glue already on it, just put a little super glue on each end and it won't come loose.
It cost about $8 and there is enough for three paddles.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
I use the truck door moulding stuff...

Pros: 
-Saves the board/paddle when learning, or letting others learn/borrow
-Saves yourself and others from being injured by the sharp blade edges in big surf. 
-Cheap, $8

Cons: 
-Adds weight, about 3-4oz, to the worst end of the paddle... increases swing weight
-Affects paddle performance due to the added lip

The pros by far outweight the cons for my conditions and use.

I have yet to meet someone around here who hasn't been hurt by their unprotected blade in surf, the last time my buddy went to the hospital for several stitches above his eye.  For $8 and 10min of time he's now protected... and I'm not fixing paddle holes in his boards every dang session! 

I have not noticed too much of a performance hit from the added weight/lip, I never missed a wave because of it, but I can definitely feel the added swing weight.

For $8 you could just take it off if it didn't work out, no major loss...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal