Author Topic: the Pre-race prep thread  (Read 5775 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
the Pre-race prep thread
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
As Stand Up race season is just kicking off, we thought it might be cool to open a thread on the black science of race prep.  From driving around with lots of paddlers it comes clear that there are a LOT of theories on what works best in terms of pre-race training, eating, supplements, hydration, long distance push runs, days off, taper schedules, etc, etc.

It would be interesting to hear what everyone is doing.  So...what's in your special sauce?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:40:22 AM by Admin »

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: the Pre-race prep thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
Peanut Butter toast for breakfast... and no wine the night before.... ;D   Thats about it for me.. but of course I'm almost always last...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
It's the no wine the night before that's the problem. I like to have a little remaining buzz on the morning of the race, makes the briefing go smoother.

Seriously, I'm starting to pay more attention to conditioning. About time, but it's never too late. I'm trying to include hard intervals in every paddle I do, with rests in between. I try to do a mild workout the day before a race but don't paddle (I break both of these rules pretty much constantly). Lots of water before a race, and remember to eliminate some before the race starts. Carbs in the early morning.

That's it. Hope to hear other people have better ideas that I can steal.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
What type of Carbs would you recommend prior to a race? What is also interesting some may know how to prepare for a race a couple of days prior but another very important time to feed and hydrate is after the race or post race prep is just as important.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
another very important time to feed and hydrate is after the race or post race prep is just as important.

This is an excellent point.  Based on my very extensive research, I've found that for adequate post-race recovery/refueling, this works best:

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »
Hydration above all else.

Don't wait until night before or pre-race to super-hydrate. Adequate hydration at the cellular level takes a consistent moderate intake of water days beforehand without too many diuretics. That means clear pee for a couple days, but not from result of coffee/tea/beer, etc... Best time to evaluate your level of hydration is that first pee of the day. Really, the best way is to hydrate, then stay there for life....but that's unrealistic.

I've failed to do this simple-yet effective method of hydrating enough to know how important it is...and I'm sure to do it again... :-[

Another pre-race must is to ensure you have worked the kinks out of your hydration/food system and brand choices well before race day. Take it from Murphy; what can go wrong will go wrong, especially when it counts.

Good luck to all this race year. ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:32:35 PM by JC50 »

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
On the tail end of a OC season here I have played around with all manners of things to feel my best on the day and just as importantly after the race.

I paddle for a small club and have been relied upon to back up for another race in the same day with a different team so to not die on the day has been of paramount importance to the 2nd teams usually being the bigger race, ie short course morning, long course later on in the open mens division a much more intense category.

I have focused just as above mostly on Hydration and diet.  What has worked best for me and proven to me last weekend in a 43Km changes race was the following:  Post note: We had National Titles the weekend before with a 10km and then a 23km race 90 minutes after so recovery for same day race and training was very important to be able to be at my best for the changes race 6 days later.

1st and foremost:  Train hard, not just a week before, you need muscular endurance.  6 months at least with some conviction and religion.  Get hold of some interval and fartlek training schedules.  They work! 

A good idea is to do the distance you will race in the training program a couple of weeks out from the race to give you an idea of times and pacing.  Of course in a race it will be different.  If we were racing Saturday we would normally still have a moderately hard session on Tues and then not do too much other than a easy race team training on Thurs and no paddling on Friday.  I would still probably ride my shortboard prone surfing Friday morning though!

3 or 4 days lead up to race:
No beer or high sugar junk foods like Chocolate etc.  Try to drink mostly water and increase the intake levels.

2 days before race:  load up on electrolyte system.  We use Endura and along with increased water intake take 3 scoops per day.  Research suggests Magnesium to be very helpful for cramping, energy production and endurance.  A lot of electrolyte drinks (the most well known) have no Magnesium in them.

Day before: No other drinks just water with the 3 scoops of Endura during the day.  Very clean foods.  Fruit, Weetbix, bananas, Natural honey etc.   That evening my regimen has been an extra helping of Spaghetti Bolognaise, especially the pasta and lots of water to wash it all down.  Nothing new in the diet to cause stomach upsets etc. 

Race Day:  Guage race time.  If your race starts at 8am, I get up at 4:30 and have some weetbix, banana and honey and start to drink at least 1.5L of Endura solution while we rig boats etc etc.  Do not eat close to the race, you need to digest.  I like at least 3 hours.  In rough conditions you will see your food again if you do particularly after a sprint section with another paddler or team pushing you beyond your normal peaks.

During the race, camel pack with light Endura mixture to stay hydrated.  In the changes race about 4 hours long I took some Jelly beans and Coke before my last change back into the boat for the sprint finish.  Sugar is not your friend during the middle of a race!  you get a peak and then a long low.

At the end of the race a sports nutritionist in our club has suggested that your first thing to do is to drink a high carb electrolyte drink (Staminade, Gatorade etc) and then within 20 minutes also have some protein also.  This is very important as it will determine your recovery.  It's the difference between feeling sore the next day or not with the same effort.

That's what I have been doing and it works for me, I hope it helps you....  Now into the SUP racing season, can't wait to see how I go with the OC race season behind me.

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
Digging the post race beers and Ahi poke and the Kim Chee poke, but gotta have the Tako poke too braddah!

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
On the tail end of a OC season here I have played around with all manners of things to feel my best on the day and just as importantly after the race.

I paddle for a small club and have been relied upon to back up for another race in the same day with a different team so to not die on the day has been of paramount importance to the 2nd teams usually being the bigger race, ie short course morning, long course later on in the open mens division a much more intense category.

I have focused just as above mostly on Hydration and diet.  What has worked best for me and proven to me last weekend in a 43Km changes race was the following:  Post note: We had National Titles the weekend before with a 10km and then a 23km race 90 minutes after so recovery for same day race and training was very important to be able to be at my best for the changes race 6 days later.

1st and foremost:  Train hard, not just a week before, you need muscular endurance.  6 months at least with some conviction and religion.  Get hold of some interval and fartlek training schedules.  They work! 

A good idea is to do the distance you will race in the training program a couple of weeks out from the race to give you an idea of times and pacing.  Of course in a race it will be different.  If we were racing Saturday we would normally still have a moderately hard session on Tues and then not do too much other than a easy race team training on Thurs and no paddling on Friday.  I would still probably ride my shortboard prone surfing Friday morning though!

No beer or high sugar junk foods like Chocolate etc.  Try to drink mostly water and increase the intake levels.

2 days before race:  load up on electrolyte system.  We use Endura and along with increased water intake take 3 scoops per day.  Research suggests Magnesium to be very helpful for cramping, energy production and endurance.  A lot of electrolyte drinks (the most well known) have no Magnesium in them.

Day before: No other drinks just water with the 3 scoops of Endura during the day.  Very clean foods.  Fruit, Weetbix, bananas, Natural honey etc.   That evening my regimen has been an extra helping of Spaghetti Bolognaise, especially the pasta and lots of water to wash it all down.  Nothing new in the diet to cause stomach upsets etc. 

Race Day:  Guage race time.  If your race starts at 8am, I get up at 4:30 and have some weetbix, banana and honey and start to drink at least 1.5L of Endura solution while we rig boats etc etc.  Do not eat close to the race, you need to digest.  I like at least 3 hours.  In rough conditions you will see your food again if you do particularly after a sprint section with another paddler or team pushing you beyond your normal peaks.

During the race, camel pack with light Endura mixture to stay hydrated.  In the changes race about 4 hours long I took some Jelly beans and Coke before my last change back into the boat for the sprint finish.  Sugar is not your friend during the middle of a race!  you get a peak and then a long low.

At the end of the race a sports nutritionist in our club has suggested that your first thing to do is to drink a high carb electrolyte drink (Staminade, Gatorade etc) and then within 20 minutes also have some protein also.  This is very important as it will determine your recovery.  It's the difference between feeling sore the next day or not with the same effort.

That's what I have been doing and it works for me, I hope it helps you....  Now into the SUP racing season, can't wait to see how I go with the OC race season behind me.

It was a good read all the way up to the jelly beans and the coke. ???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
I think the coke and jelly beans is right on, though I probably wouldn't need the carbonation. Refined sugar is great for a last sprint as long as you time the dip. The dip should start just as you are lifting the first beer.

Nice thing about jelly bellies is that they taste good and are one gram of carbohydrates each, so it's easy to figure your dose. They are the diabetics best friend for crashing sugar. Diane has them in her purse and stashed everywhere. Takes every bit of discipline I have to keep from swiping them, but the potential for the love of my life falling into a coma is a pretty strong deterrent.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »
Peanut Butter toast for breakfast... and no wine the night before.... ;D   Thats about it for me.. but of course I'm almost always last...

I like to have a toasted cinamon raison bagel with peanut butter.  Also I wash it down with a coffee.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Certainly not the 5 bottles of wine and cigars we did for the 1st CCBC. But I'm definitely getting at least some carbs 12 oz at a time at the Cabby Shack pre-party this year.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »

It was a good read all the way up to the jelly beans and the coke. ???

Yes, I know the Coke option sounds rough BUT it is becoming quite popular here in Australia with Ultra Marathons for the last leg.  At this years Coolangatta Gold, 40 k's of swimming, board paddling and surf ski almost all competitors had flat coke as their drink as they hit the sand for the final soft sand run leg.

Friends of mine that competed say the caffeine and sugar hit along with the psychological burst of energy lifts them for the final bit when they are approaching complete exhaustion.

As I say though, they are strictly only for the very last leg to get you over the line strongly.  It would be suicide during the race......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal